Ecplain "Wine & Dine" to me please!

We are on the Explorer of the Seas out of Bayonne 7/1-7/6. From what I just looked at it's $157 for 5 bottles of wine (which is a total rip off :mad: ).

Is there much of a savings over ordering a glass? I mean....a bottle of wine is say 2 glasses per person (2 glasses for me/2 glasses for husband).

Does anyone have a link to a price menu for drinks?

Any other tips are HIGHLY aprreciated!

No, it is not cheaper to buy by the glass. It would be more expensive. Especially since they pour a proper glass which is only 1/4 - 1/3 full. They do have a much better selection of wines on the ship that you can't get with the wine & dine package. So I would wait and order by the bottle on the ship. Thats what we do.

We are on the Explorer of the Seas out of Bayonne 7/1-7/6. From what I just looked at it's $157 for 5 bottles of wine (which is a total rip off :mad: ).

Is there much of a savings over ordering a glass? I mean....a bottle of wine is say 2 glasses per person (2 glasses for me/2 glasses for husband).

That $157 is the top category of W&D, with the biggest selection to choose from. You can do the "Gold" category for $129, if you're pinching pennies. Those include the 15% gratuity that would be tacked on to any onboard purchases. So, the Diamond category works out to a little over $27/bottle and the Gold category about $22.50/bottle before the gratuity. They probably pour about 1/5 bottle by the glass, so do the math from there. You'll probably pay about $7 - 8 by the glass, and there are some better quality wines in the package than they would typically be pouring by the glass. (Not all of them, but some.)

How much is a glass of an inexpensive wine? I remember on my last trip I paid around $5.00 a glass. Just trying to decide if I want to order a package or not since I will be the only one drinking wine.

The by-the-glass pours are pretty generous, but I'd still figure 5 glasses to a bottle. There is a nice Pinot Noir, Jibe, that's $8/glass and $40/bottle, so if you do get a good pour, it's a wash, price-wise.

The selection of wines by the glass is pretty limited, as is the Wine & Dine package, but by the glass is a good way to see if you like something without investing in the bottle. I agree with FitzLA that you should just order off the regular wine list - there is a much better selection. The markup on the lower end wines is enormous, up to 5X what we pay in California, but on the upper end the prices are more like those charged in a land restaurant.

The by-the-glass pours are pretty generous, but I'd still figure 5 glasses to a bottle. There is a nice Pinot Noir, Jibe, that's $8/glass and $40/bottle, so if you do get a good pour, it's a wash, price-wise.

The selection of wines by the glass is pretty limited, as is the Wine & Dine package, but by the glass is a good way to see if you like something without investing in the bottle. I agree with FitzLA that you should just order off the regular wine list - there is a much better selection. The markup on the lower end wines is enormous, up to 5X what we pay in California, but on the upper end the prices are more like those charged in a land restaurant.

Thanks for the info. I never thought about the chance of trying different wines to see what I may or maynot like. I usually stick to a zinfandel. It will be fun to explore other options.

Archived