Just back from POAm---05/19-5/26

CRieger

What a great cruise. We had so much fun and I would do it again in a heartbeat! We also stayed after the cruise at the Hilton Hawaiian Village!

Fire away with your questions.

Here's the things that we did.

Just to give you an idea of the things that we did. Volcano National Park, Volcano Winery, Feast of LeLe, Fair Winds II snorkeling, shore excursion to A-Bay in Kona, horseback riding in Maui, and Dole Plantation. And loads of driving the islands. We had a blast!!!:)

Carol

Hey...so glad you posted! We leave tomorrow to go to Honolulu. We will also stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. We will also stay there post-cruise for a few days. How was the ship? We have gotten a little scared by some of the negative reviews! Hope this is just people who like to complain! Do you remember if there is a self-service laundry on the ship? We are staying in a penthouse on Deck 10. What kind of stateroom did you have? Was it as small as some people have posted? We are so excited, but we would like an opinion that we trust from someone who just experienced the cruise. Thanks for your imput, Suzy

Glad you had a wonderful time. We are SOOOO looking forward to our trip. A couple of mundane questions.

Do you have any photos of the dailies for the trip?

Do you remember when the muster drill was on embarkation day?

Thanks.

WB

We were also on the May 19 - 26 Pride of America in Hawaii. We had sailed NCL previously, but after a bad experience on an Alaska cruise in 2004, we opted to jump ship. This was our first cruise back on NCL as they have the Hawaii market captured on 7 day cruises.

We were blown away by the quality of the staff and service provided. I had read so many negative reports on these boards about poor service that we weren't expecting much. I think this was our best cruise experience ever from a crew & service standpoint. I know other pax may have had a different experience, but we did not have one complaint the entire week. Well done, NCL.

The shuttle services were a great asset. You could take the shuttle to/from Hilo Hatties, Target, Walmart from the pier.

The ABC stores had great bargains... one tour driver referred to them as "All Blocks Covered"... it seemed they were everywhere.

Luau - we did Germaines in Oahu Friday evening pre-cruise. Food was ok, entertainment traditional. We did hear a lot of grumbling from passengers who went to the Luau on Kauai... mostly about the food. It sounds like the Luau experience is about the same in this regard.

Roberts Hawaii tours were also a great bargain. My only complaint is that we booked 3 tours (Germaines Luau/Oahu, Hilo Volcano Ntl Park, and Historic Kona) on Roberts' internet site and paid $29 pp. Pax who waited to book on the pier were paying $22. They offered those who paid $29 a credit towards another Roberts tour that week. Just a heads up... the NCL sponsored tour made every stop with us on the tours we took, but cost more. We were pleased with the Robert's tours we did, but when timing was tight like on the 2nd day in Kauai, we opted for the NCL tour to the Lookout and Falls. Both the Roberts and Hawaiian Airlines internet sites were blocked while on board the ship.

Re. Hawaiian Airlines boarding passes -- we flew HA and needed to print boarding passes 24 hours in advance. There was a note taped to each internet cafe computer stating the IT Monitor will assist in printing boarding passes for HA pax. The IT Tech set up her laptop in the Cafe for me, and I had no problem printing boarding passes.

We were all very pleased with the 10th floor balcony staterooms we had. No problems all week with housekeeping or service. In fact, the meals we had in all the dining rooms were presented in record time, and they always asked if they could bring another entree, another appetizer, a second dessert... Whatever problems NCL has had in the past, it was obvious that they're improving. We did 2 specialty restaurants... highly recommend Jefferson Bistro. The service & food was superb. Lazy J Steakhouse was very good as well.

I really enjoyed having an American crew. I did not detect any attitude problems from any crew member. I appreciated that NCL hired really wholesome kids next door who did not have piercings in the lip or arms full of tattoos. They were typically 'the kid next door.'

One of our best cruise experiences.... we were actually shocked!

OK. First of all, we took an upsell to cabin 9500. Which is a family suite. This worked out well for all three us...myself, my dh and our 22 year old daughter.

We did the Kona Beach Blast (it was the only shore excursion that we did book) and it was nice not to have to drive. A relaxing few hours at the beach. They offered snorkeling equipment, water bikes and a glass bottom boat ride. It was nice, but not worth the $$. The food was turkey or ham sandwiches, chips and 1 soda. Anaeho'omalu Bay Page 156 in the revealed book.

As far as rental cars, we primarily used Hertz except in Maui we used Thrifty (which I will never use again, even though we are Blue Chip.) They were totally unprepared for the amount of people and it wasted an hour of our precious time. DEFINITELY rent cars in each port...that way you can go at your own pace and stop whenever you see something that appeals to YOU. REMEMBER....it's your vacation....

The horseback riding was by the ocean in Kauai and we used CJM Stables. If you have the Revealed books, they are listed in there. Page 160. In Kauai we also went to Waimea Canyon (not to be missed) There are little vendors there and you can pick up some really nice reasonable jewelry there.

In Maui, for the snorkeling it was Four Winds II that we used and I would highly recommend them. We had plenty of time in the water and the captain let all of the kids drive the catamaran. They also had a great DVD that showed everyone on the tour and the fish that were seen that day.

As far as eating on the ship, we chose to do the buffet in the evenings because it was quick and you could pick and choose what you wanted. It was nice to relax.

Hawaiian Village in Oahu was also well worth every penny. Make sure that you ask for any upgrades that they might offer. We ended up with an ocean view room.

Thanks for answering my question about A-Bay. We are leaning toward the Black Sand Beach and Snorkel Trip. For the price you get a catamaran trip and guided tour of the reef. You get some time on the beach also. I thought about just renting a car and driving to A-Bay and rent equipment there but we are beginner snorkelers so want to have some instruction.

Pat

To All: Remember, this is YOUR cruise. Plan out from using the boards the things that you think that you might like to do. Get the Revealed books. They were so helpful and I also recommend the navigation systems for the cars. It gives you an idea of what the distance is between where you are and where you might want to go. Remember to relax...there is only so much time and yes, we would have loved to stay longer in most ports. But...hmmmm....I think next year we will have to do this one again to try the things that we didn't get to on this year's cruise.....

Carol

I agree that Thrifty Car Rental on Maui was a terrible waste of time. We waited about an hour also, but they were great in Hilo. A guy met us as soon as we left the ship, shuttled us to the airport, and because we had the Blue Chip Membership (done online for free) we literally had our car within two minutes of arriving at the Hilo Airport. Turn-in was just as quick.

As for the person that has the Penthouse, you will be quite comfortable in your cabin. Enjoy your trip, and don't miss the evening sail past the lava and the back of Kauai (port side).

Its a book (Hawaii Revealed) that tell lots of info about places that are off the beaten path, as well as all of the regular sites in HI. A fellow CC that was on my HI cruise with me last summer read it, and highly recommended it for information. She celebrated her 25th anniversary and planned almost all of her excursions using info from that book. I don't remember if it is broken down by island names for the title, or if it's simply Hawaii Revealed. Some "lurkers" that I met on the cruise told me they had read about it, and they purchased/used the book too.

I did some checking in our old thread, and the "revealed" books are by island name....i.e. Oahu Revealed, Maui Revealed....etc. Have fun reading them! I checked our local library before we sailed, and they didn't have it, but Barnes and Noble did.

The Revealed books are suppose to especially good if you are going to rent a car. They have all of the mile makers listed and for the stretch that does not have proper markings,they give you land marks..tell you the not to be missed places to stop...every thing you need to know about each island. They get no kick backs (or so they say) but go on personal experience.Its a fun read with lots of pictures and maps.I bought Maui/Oahu/Kauai,and although we are not renting a car,Ive found the infomation very good. They list hotels,places to eat,things to do..

Great POA review! Its so nice to hear that things are looking up. My question is..does it still take HOURS to eat? I know that one of the big complaints was the fact that all of the restaurants were so slow. Dot

I did some checking in our old thread, and the "revealed" books are by island name....i.e. Oahu Revealed, Maui Revealed....etc. Have fun reading them! I checked our local library before we sailed, and they didn't have it, but Barnes and Noble did.

Mary, thanks so much for finding the info B&N here I come.

Sorry for the delay in responding. The books that you are looking for are called...The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook, Mauai Revealed, Hawaii the Big Island Revealed. We found them at Barnes & Noble. The are written by Andrew Doughty.

Carol:)

I ordered the revealed series of books that Crieger mentioned (Maui Revealed, Kauai Revealed and Hawaii The Big Island Revealed) from Amazon.com. The price was much less than Barnes & Noble ($10.05 each) and the order qualified for the Super Saver Free Shipping. If you haven't already made it to the bookstore, you might want to check it out.

Carol

The Feast at Lele was one of the many highlights that we experienced.

This is a small and very intimate luau. There are maybe 100 tables and you are served multi-island food. Each course, is from a different island. The dancing as well was multi-island. You overlook the ocean and watch the boats going by as well as the beautiful sunset. Candles and tiki torches for lighting. Very romantic! The tables are tiered on a terrace so I don't think that there is a bad table in the house. Your servers bring out a platter for each course and explain which each item is. The cocktails are included and according to my daughter and husband, were very good. I was the designated driver. The stage is right in front of you and there is some audience participation, but not a lot. When we go back, I will want to go there again. After this luau, I don't think that I would like the larger ones. You can make reservations on line. We were very pleased with it. :)

http://www.feastatlele.com/

The Feast at Lele was one of the many highlights that we experienced.

This is a small and very intimate luau. There are maybe 100 tables and you are served multi-island food. Each course, is from a different island. The dancing as well was multi-island. You overlook the ocean and watch the boats going by as well as the beautiful sunset. Candles and tiki torches for lighting. Very romantic! The tables are tiered on a terrace so I don't think that there is a bad table in the house. Your servers bring out a platter for each course and explain which each item is. The cocktails are included and according to my daughter and husband, were very good. I was the designated driver. The stage is right in front of you and there is some audience participation, but not a lot. When we go back, I will want to go there again. After this luau, I don't think that I would like the larger ones. You can make reservations on line. We were very pleased with it. :)

http://www.feastatlele.com/

Carol, on what island was the Feast at Lele on?

Archived