Honeymoon on Carnival Victory Help!

uncbossfan

Hello everybody! Just found this site today as I was looking up some info on a honeymoon cruise my fiance and I want to take in April of 08.

There is a cruise leaving Miami, FL to the Eastern Caribbean that is perfect for our honeymoon. The destinations are good, rates look good (I think :confused: ), but honestly, I know NOTHING about cruises.

We will both be 25 yrs old. Outgoing partiers who like to drink a lot, dance, and don't get embarrased easily if you know what I mean...

Balcony rate is $739 (is the balcony a good place to stay?), and we're looking at a budget of around $3,500.

Does that leave us enough money for drinking, and activities on the island and other expenses such as gambling?

Also, were both primarily beer drinkers, how much can we expect to pay for a 12oz bud light?

And is this cruise good for adults looking to get a little wild on their honeymoon?

Appreciate any and all advice, good bad and in between! This board looks to be very knowledgeable and I can't wait to see what I'm getting myself into!

Matt

Congratulations Matt to you and your fiancee! And Congratulations for finding this website. The people on this site are awesome and you'll learn all you need to know to enjoy a terrific cruise. Enter into the search section for specific threads and you'll find things that have been talked about already. Also you can go to destinations to learn about the different ports.

My daughter and hubby had their honeymoon cruise on the Victory in May '05 and loved the ship. I've just returned from a trip on the Valor to the Eastern Carib. and we loved St. Thomas, St John and St. Maarten. All three have awesome beaches. My daughter wasn't that excited about San Juan but everyone has different views. We felt safe in the ports so didn't take any ship excursions.

Your price sounds pretty good. We used *****.com and never found a lower price. Try Kayak.com when trying to get the lowest airfare. You will absolutely love the balcony. We feel it's worth the money. If you have any specific questions, I can ask my daughter.

Good luck on your planning and spend some time on this site!

We usually try to find rates that are about $100/day/pp. So the $739 sounds great especially for a balcony!

It will depend when in April you plan to go as to whether there will be a lot of kids onboard. We've traveled the last week of April and there aren't that many then. (I'm not sure when Easter is next year.)

There are always partiers at night on Carnival up on the Lido deck. And we've seen people having a great time...not caring what others thought. There are various lounges, too, where people drink and have a good time.

I don't know how much your airfare will be....but your budgeted amount sounds good. You'll need to consider how much you want to spend gambling each night, whether you are going to tip any extra to the wait staff or room steward at the end of the cruise (their original amount will be charge to your sail and sign card when you check in $10/day/pp) Don't forget the price of excursions. Pictures are often the most expensive things to buy. Since you'll have recently had wedding photos taken you may not want as many as some of us who only have formal pictures taken on cruise ships. (8X10 $20...5X7 410...4X6 $7.50) Every time you turn around they will be snapping a picture. We always look at ours and say....is this good enough to pay this amount for it...and choose accordingly. (We have had pictures taken with new or old friends where the question doesn't work.) It's extra for specialty coffees and the deserts served where they sell it. Every now and then an entertainer is selling a CD...that's extra - and they usually want Cash or CC...no sail and sign cards for their stuff. The only other thing I can think of is souveniers.

Congrats on your upcoming event. My wife and I got married on that very ship, on that very cruise, and in April even ( Shaw Park,Ochos Rios,'03). We actually stayed on one of the lower levels, and towards the middle of the ship. Our travel agent suggested this the first time we went, because the missus is prone to motion sickness, and found the outside rooms to be quite spacious, and nice. Also both times we've sailed from Miami, once in late Oct, and once in April, we found the first couple of days quite rough. (Both times were to the Eastern Carrib.). The next time we go, I'll probably break down and agree with a room with a balcony, although we didn't spend much time in our room to enjoy a balcony if we had one. When you go, be sure to check out the "secret" balcony in the front of the ship. It's not well known except for people who've cruised before, we found out about it from this website, and it's a great place to go for a little quiet time if you so need.

Now for the PARTY stuff, I had to behave myself a little as we got closer to the wedding day, but at the first port we took a "sail and snorkel" tour that included "all you could drink" on the way back to the ship, which of course is to be taken as a challenge:D . If you're not keen on snorkeling, there's always Carlos and Charlies in town. They make sure you have a good time. In Jamaica, be sure to go to Margaritaville, thats a blast too!

Really appreciate all the help so far.

The weekend we will be going is April 13th, Easter is actually in March next yr.

Here is the way I'm trying to break it all down, does this look low, high, or OK???

800 x 2 for room- and thats the expensive room, the middle one is 589...

400 x 2 for flight from Cincinnati, OH

400 x 2 for fun stuff to do at ports

150 x 7 per day on alcohol and tips

Thanks again!

I almost hate to bring this up but if you don't already have passports, you may (or may not ;) ) need them for that trip. Counting extra fees and such, budget $100 per person. If you already both have a passport, this is not a problem. Just remember to book the cruise in the exact name on the passport. This means you probably need to book the cruise in your fiance's maiden name as she won't have time to change it on her ID before you leave, assuming of course that she plans to change her name. She can change ner name on her passport after you get back. Also, if you don't have them already, go ahead and submit your applications in the next couple of months. Due to the new requiremnets, the delay in getting them is quite long. If you go ahead and get them, it may help your budgeting and will certainly help you peace of mind - one less thing to worry about at a very busy time!

Good luck and enjoy!

Really appreciate all the help so far.

The weekend we will be going is April 13th, Easter is actually in March next yr.

Here is the way I'm trying to break it all down, does this look low, high, or OK???

800 x 2 for room- and thats the expensive room, the middle one is 589...

400 x 2 for flight from Cincinnati, OH

400 x 2 for fun stuff to do at ports

150 x 7 per day on alcohol and tips

Thanks again!

April 13th is in the middle of high school spring breaks so you will probably have a fair number of families with children on board. I don't think that will be a problem but just an FYI kind of thing.

Also, you might want to consider flying in the day before the cruise if the day and time of the wedding allow for it. There are way too many stories of ruined honeymoons because they missed the ship. You really don't want that kind of stress. If you do one of the travel sites, you can probably find a room for $100-125 for the night. It might not be the best but as long as it has a bed it really won't matter too much, will it? ;) Ooh, did I really just say that?!?! :eek:

And just another piece of freindly advice, try not to get your expectations too high for the first night. You will be amazed at how tired you will be. Sleep is good and after all, you have the rest of the cruise and your life ahead of you. Take this for what it cost you but consider it. :D

Hi Matt,

We sailed Victory in Oct. '06 and loved it even though I was among the perpetually lost -I never did figure my way around the different floors.

Anyway, I don't know if the fare you are using in your estimate includes tax (or fees, depending on what they call it). On our next cruise (7 nighter on Celebrity) the 'tax' is $98 per person. Also, might should figure in cruise insurance. I think the cost, if thru Carnival, is based on the length of your cruise. My next, next cruise is a 5-nighter on Carnival Celebration and insurance is $60 per person (and I think insurance on the Celebrity cruise is $109 per person).

Best wishes!

Archived