Bonine and alcohol?

FishyTrishy

I've read that warning numerous times and drank anyway. I think bonine is hard on your liver so you risk liver damage when adding alcohol. (o.k., doctors & pharmacists, please correct me if I'm wrong). I rarely take bonine but when I do, I still have a few drinks.

No problem for me either, that I know of. :) I've taken bonine on all of my cruises, and drank on all of them too. The only possible side effect that I can think of that I got was maybe sleepiness?? I'd much rather be sleepy than nauseous.

Are there severe side effects when mixing this with alcohol?
Only if you consider death a "severe side effect." :eek:

In all seriousity, bonine and similar medications will add to the effects of alcohol and other depressants that make you drowsy and/or less alert.

i take bonine everyday on the cruise. I take it when I first wake up and have never had any side effects from it. I am the WORST person when it comes to drugs. I cannot even take benadryl without passing out in 5 minutes. Bonine is great if you have the stomach flu or any stomach sickness.

.. I take it when I first wake up and have never had any side effects from it. ..

I take it just before bed. That way I sleep through the worst of the side effects and it's mostly out of my system by the time I have a drink.

And so what if the combination makes me extra sleepy... I'm not driving the boat (though I'd like to try).

Eric

In my case I do not so much think it is the bonine but if you are feeling seasick. If I feel the slightest bit queezy and drink even one drink I tend to get REALLY sick. I normally take bonine and start it a couple of days before the cruise. This usually does the trick unless I am on a really old ship that does not have good stablizers and we are in a tropicial storm. Then I do get slightly queezy anyway-bonine or not-but as long as I stay away from the alcohol I am okay.

I believe a lot of people who get badly seasick just plain don't realize drinking alcohol makes it worse.

Now one cruise when the ship was really rocking storm wise was on my Bermuda cruise. Going over I stayed away from anything alcoholic. In Bermuda a popular soft drink was ginger beer. I bought a couple. On the cruise back to NY I sipped on that-was not even slightly queezy and we were still in some pretty bad storms and I enjoyed my alcoholic drinks without a problem. So try ginger and see if it helps. If you don't want to take the capsules just take a pack of gingersnaps in your luggage.

Just don't drive! LOL

In all seriousness, why not just use the funky looking behind the ear patch? No warnings with it except wash your hands IMMEDIATELY after application bc if you don't and you rub your eyes it will dilate your pupils.

Doc told me no bonine if I was going to be drinking, told me to take ginger caps, which I did.... not an ounce of seasickness and was able to drink all day... my biggest fear is the sleepiness, and I don't want to be sleepy on a cruise :D I swear by ginger. Sis used seabands when she was prego and said they worked wonders as well...

Archived