Dining room attire for 9 mo old?

ElsieToo

I want to make my upcoming trip pleasant for my family, as well as for all the grumps who hate sailing with babies. At any rate, I'm going to try and do little to offend their delicate sensibilities. ;)

What should I have my 9 month old son wear in the dining room at dinner? We're doing a 10 nt. Hawaii cruise so some of the evenings will be Hawaiin casual (hawaiian shirts, yay!), but what about the formal nights (2) and the semi formal nights (3, I think)? How formal does an infant have to be to pass muster? Can I get away with dark pants (I assume the dining rooms will be cold) and a button down shirt, or do I have to go out and get him a little suit to wear? Seems like such a waste since he'll grow out of it in a few months...

Any help is much appreciated!

I concur with "Duke Family" that this is a baby we're talking about. There is no need for button down shirt and pants. IMHO, there is nothing cute about trying to impress people dressing a baby to look like a young man. When I shop for my granddaughters, I see a lot of very appropriate clothing that a baby boy could be outfitted in that doesn't take it to any extreme.

Have to compliment you on your concern about dining room attire as many passengers don't put that much thought into their choice of wardrobe. Stop worrying about it and have a fabulous cruise!

I would dress a nine month old baby on the cruise exactly as I would at home. He's a baby for pete's sake - not a pre-schooler, not even a toddler, but a baby. JMO FWIW!

See, that's what I was thinking originally, but I've read sooooo many threads where people complain because children don't adhere to the dress code. Maybe I should just stop reading those? :rolleyes:

IMHO, there is nothing cute about trying to impress people dressing a baby to look like a young man. When I shop for my granddaughters, I see a lot of very appropriate clothing that a baby boy could be outfitted in that doesn't take it to any extreme.

First, I should say that my original post should have said if I had to go out and get him a little sailor suit to wear (like the very age appropriate ones at http://www.babyultimate.com/sailor.html), not a dress coat and slacks. I have no intention of dressing him up like a miniature banker. :p I'll correct my post after this one. Second, it's the "very appropriate clothing" that I was wondering about. Could you elaborate a bit? Thanks!

I agree, he's a BABY. When I took my girls as babies, I DID (and still do..lol) dress them up in formal little dreses on formal night but I do it for the PICTURES. :D It's the only way to get our entire family together for formal portraits is during our cruises. So I always make sure to dress them up so I can get one family pictures.

BUT, it has nothing to do with what is "proper attire" for a 9 month old...lol. It is just for my own selfish reasons. ;)

Just came back from a 7 nighter and we just had our 9 month old wear nice casual clothes. On formal nights he wore nice one piece short jumper type outfits. One thing that I have found is that if they wear shoes it makes the outfit look nicer. I bought a pair of the Robeez saddle shoes and had my son wear those during formal nights with his outfits. HTH! :)

• 3 weeks later...
A quick question for you, are you a fan of Deadwood?

Nope, sorry. We've been TV-free for the past 7 years (though we do have a television set that we use for watching movies). :) Out of curiosity, why?

We just got back from a cruise with our 8 month old and we had a lot of luck buying cute stuff from him at Children's Place. We bought a few sweater vests, which dress up any outfit. We paired that with white cords and brown sandals, and he looked very cute. Despite a PP mentioning there is nothing cute about a baby in a shirt and tie, we did that for one of the formal nights and we were stopped the whole night by everyone, so apparently everyone on our ship disagreed with that opinion. They all oooed and aahed over his outfit. So, although, I don't think it's necessary for babies to get real dressed up, I think it's fun because back at home, how often is it that you really get to do that?!

How about this - if you wanted to get him a couple things that are a little bit "special", try a good upscale childrens' resale shop. Or a garage sale. EVERYBODY who's ever 'owned' a baby boy (myself included) bought at least a couple really cute "dressy" outfits, whether it was for a special picture, or Easter service, family wedding, or something. Those things usually only get worn once or twice, so you can usually find them in like new condition. That's what I'd do. I just remember how difficult it could be dressing a baby and I would literally break out in a sweat trying to "dress up" baby for a special occasion - so avoid that - don't do anything on your cruise that will make you break out in a sweat! (Unless the baby's alrealdy asleep, of course ;) )

I want to make my upcoming trip pleasant for my family, as well as for all the grumps who hate sailing with babies. At any rate, I'm going to try and do little to offend their delicate sensibilities. ;)

What should I have my 9 month old son wear in the dining room at dinner? We're doing a 10 nt. Hawaii cruise so some of the evenings will be Hawaiin casual (hawaiian shirts, yay!), but what about the formal nights (2) and the semi formal nights (3, I think)? How formal does an infant have to be to pass muster? Can I get away with dark pants (I assume the dining rooms will be cold) and a button down shirt, or do I have to go out and get him a little suit to wear? Seems like such a waste since he'll grow out of it in a few months...

Any help is much appreciated!

Im going to be sarcastic here and reply that your 9 month old should be wearing his jammies and be happily tucked into the pack n play in your room, with a babysitter, while you are at dinner!

Consider getting him a babysitter. Its money well spent!

But, to answer your question directly - I am positive that he is already adorable enough. Dress him in whatever you want. As long as he is not disruptive in the dining room, he will be adorable if he is bear nekked!

Good ideas, ladies! I love the idea of the sweater vests and the resale stores - and conveniently, DS's grandma is coming out tomorrow for some shopping. :) Good timing on your posts, lol.

sas, I could use the break - sounds like a plan! :D Seriously, though, it's a 10 nt cruise and I'm going to try to get babysitting for two or three nights but he's not officially old enough for the babysitting services from RCCL since he won't be a year old at that time. I know some people on the boards have had good luck with arranging sitters anyways, so I figured I could give it a shot and the worst that could happen is that they say no. My little cutie thanks you and says his bare nekkid toes will have to suffice!

0001grgy

:p

Good ideas, ladies! I love the idea of the sweater vests and the resale stores - and conveniently, DS's grandma is coming out tomorrow for some shopping. :) Good timing on your posts, lol.

sas, I could use the break - sounds like a plan! :D Seriously, though, it's a 10 nt cruise and I'm going to try to get babysitting for two or three nights but he's not officially old enough for the babysitting services from RCCL since he won't be a year old at that time. I know some people on the boards have had good luck with arranging sitters anyways, so I figured I could give it a shot and the worst that could happen is that they say no. My little cutie thanks you and says his bare nekkid toes will have to suffice!

0001grgy

:p

Cute toes!

Eh, just lie! When they ask you how old DS is just say "he just turned one!"

I wouldn't go all out an spend a lot of money - just be creative. Maybe a bib that looks like a tuxedo?

When we went on a Caribbean Cruise on NCL 10 years ago there was an infant at one of the tables. Every night had a different theme and the baby was always dressed to match the theme. Everyone made a fuss over him and the maitre de would carry him he would lead the parade of wiat staff through the dining room. It was a lot of fun - and we all couldn't wait to see how he was going to be dressed each night!

Pat

The sweater vest sounds like a good idea. You know I think I have one or two 9mos sizes my son never wore that someone gave my son, but he had out grown them already, number 1 and number 2 here in South Florida it's too hot for my hot kid to wear that but for the family shot sounds perfect. I think I've seen some at Target or Walmart but you have to hit those stores in the right season which for us is the right season for the Northerners. Meaning My son is in 2T now but I'm assuming he'll be in 3T for the cruise in Dec. I'm buying those summer clothes now because they can be hard to find in south Florida in Dec. And bathing suits are impossible to find even though we can swim year round. Go Figure.

Now how long would he keep the tie on? LOL

We had our 15 month old daughter in 2 little dresses for formal nights, but the rest of the time she wore comfortable little outfits appropriate for little 15 month old girls. Dress your son in what you think he will be comfortable in, but consider having 1 outfit for formal night pictures. I am sure it would make for a great family picture.

Also, never let the grumps get to you for bringing your baby with you. You have every right to bring him to all the dinners as they do for being there.

Archived