First time cruiser

TAnn1031

I am taking my mom on our first cruise in Jan 2008 for her 60th birthday on the Carnival Fantasy out of New Orleans for 5 nights and going to Costa Maya and Cozumel. From what I have read here we won't have a problem keeping busy and having fun but does anyone have any suggestions/ideas for us 1st timers either on the ship or in the ports. I thought about going to the ruins in Costa Maya through the ship excursion and then in Cozumel just walking around, having lunch, shopping, that kind of thing. Any help would be great - I am so excited to go and i have 7 1/2 months left - aahh

The ruins in Costa Maya are nice. We went last Dec. through Carnival's excursion. I believe if you book through a private party you can go there cheaper. Costa Maya was one of my favorite ports. I'm sure you'll love it. Cozumel is a great place to walk around and go shopping. If you are one of the "unlucky" ships that have to tender in Cozumel you will have to take a taxi into town. If I remember correctly the taxi was a reasonable price.

Welcome to CC! :D

If you want to do a ruins tour in Costa Maya, I would highly recommend the David & Ivan Chacchoben Ruins tour. They are native Mayans and give a very interesting tour. http://www.chacchobenruins.com You can get more information on the Costa Maya Port of Call Boards, and you can read about our tour with them on my Miracle review (click the link below my signature).

In Cozumel, Paradise Beach is a great way to spend the day if you like beaches. There is a restaurant there, and lots of lounge chairs ~ all they ask is that you spend $10 per person on food and/or drinks and you can stay there all day.

You will have a great time! Lots and lots of helpful information here on the boards ~ read and learn. Happy cruising! :D

I have never been to the ruins, but replan! As soon as you walk off the pier in Costa Maya, you will be greeted with an entertainment complex. This complex includes a clean fresh water pool with swim up bar and a wealth of shops, restaurants, and bars. Did I mention that a beautiful beach area is only about a three minute cab ride away?:)

I know that the Fantasy doesn't have many balconies, so if you don't have a suite, go up to the Verandah deck and cheer all those who spent too much time on the beach onto the ship. It'll be the highlight of your trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are ruins by Cozumel I've been told of. Anyway, enjoy your trip.:D

DH and I went on the Ecstasy and at our stop in Cozemel we did a Jeep offroad adventure with snorkelling. It was pretty fun.

I will HAVE to remember the cheering people back on the ship thing. Romor had it that in Progresso, some young girl had too much tequilla at the Corona Beach Break that we went to. She ended up puking all the way back to the pier on the open party bus and had to be wheelchair assited back to the ship. LOL I wish I would have thought to watch that but DH and I were worn out from our excurtion and took a nap. ;)

This may be your first cruise, but I predict that it won't be your last. I agree with momofzeke, you should see the chacchoben ruins while in Costa Maya. I was just there on the Carnaval Valor. It's about a 45 minute trip from the port, you will be able to see some of the countryside on the way. You and your mom will have a great time.

will all the stuff i am reading about these cruises i'm sure i will have to go on many more trips to see all the stuff i want

thanks for the info - i'm definately gonna do the ruins in Costa Maya

When in Costa Maya you can also take a taxi or bus to the fishing village Mahajual (sp?) which is a mile or so down the beach. Very rustic in comparison with restaurants with covered tables on the beach. Very relaxing and there are small shops there with much better pricing than in the cruise port area. If you buy anything be sure to haggle with them as you should never pay the price they ask. We went to the Cat's Meow which is safe to eat and drink at and is used by many CC members.

If you do decide to do the ruins with David & Ivan, they actually meet for the tour at the Cat's Meow in Mahajual. Once the tour is over, you have the choice to be dropped off back at the Cat's Meow or they will take you back to the pier. If you go back to the Cat's Meow, you have a little time for lunch and shopping before you have to get back to the ship.

Archived