Putting Cash on S&S

cruzngma

Haven't been able to get an answer from Carnival so...

Quick question, is $200 minimum per person the REQUIRED amount of cash or is it as suggested amount? Can you put less if you are not drinkers or planning an excursion?

Thank you!

Enough to cover the tips ($10pp, per day) plus whatever besides that you want to add on. Say you are on a 7 day cruise and there are 3 of you. You decide that you want to have $500 left after tips are taken out for the 3 of you. You put down $710.00. Now you have $500 on your card (because $210 was taken for tips)and you add more as needed later on in the cruise. Hope this helps

The explanation in the FAQ on the Carnival website is not clear, but it appears $200 is the minimum for a 5-8 day cruise even when depositing with cash. That is the hold when using a CC and the deposit by cash explanation does not give any other amounts.

Went I went on the Victory, in January, I was under the impression that there was a $200//pp min. When I boarded the ship, they said they only needed the $70/pp for gratuity. So I paid the gratuity and put a little extra cash on the S&S card. I then added a little bit everyday, as I needed.

I am a little confused about putting cash on the card. This is my first time crusing with Carnival (I have cruised on RCCL, Holland America, Celebrity). We were given a card that accumulated charges and at the end paid for the charges on the card with a credit card. Does it not work this way on Carnival?

You can place cash or sign up a credit card for the charges. If you do the cash route, you will just have to keep adding money to the card as you charge things. At the end of the cruise, you will receive a check for any money remaining or get called to the pursers desk to settle the bill. If you place a credit card on your account, the place a hold on it and increase that amount as you charge. At the end of the cruise, the amount is charged to the credit card on file and you do nothing else.

I am a little confused about putting cash on the card. This is my first time crusing with Carnival (I have cruised on RCCL, Holland America, Celebrity). We were given a card that accumulated charges and at the end paid for the charges on the card with a credit card. Does it not work this way on Carnival?

Works basically the same. You supply your credit card info at check-in, there is a minimum hold that Carnival initially puts on the card and then applies your other activity throughout the cruise.

You can, at the end of the cruise, pay your balance in cash eventhough you may have supplied a card at check-in.

Or, you can simply use cash for the entire cruise. With that option there is a minimum amount they require to be placed in the account originally.

It is a 5 day cruise (2 people), I know there will be $100 added for the gratuity and will need $50 for parking. We have a limited amount of cash and no credit card. I don't want a hold put on the debit card so we are taking cash. Knowing that we can put cash on S&S card daily as needed will help.

Thanks again!

Does anyone know if you can use a Visa Debit card? My sister does not have a "regular" credit card.

Also, from what I can tell, whether you use a credit card or cash, you have to put down at least $200pp at the begining. Is this correct? Does it make a difference if you did the pre-paid gratuities?

Thanks,

Cari

Does anyone know if you can use a Visa Debit card? My sister does not have a "regular" credit card.

Also, from what I can tell, whether you use a credit card or cash, you have to put down at least $200pp at the begining. Is this correct? Does it make a difference if you did the pre-paid gratuities?

Thanks,

Cari

Cari, tell her not to use her debit card. They will put holds on it throughout the week like they would a credit card and she might find she can't get any cash if she needs it.

I don't believe you have to put a minimum of $200 a person... perhaps cabin, it's just to cover the tips.

I am a bit confused. If it is just for tips, then how does the S&S for other items (drinks, gift shop). It seems you would have to put something down. Otherwise, someone can charge things, then not have any money to give to Carnival in the end. Can you pay by cash and not use your S&S for anything besides getting into your room? Sorry for so many questions! I have never used cash and only my S&S card.

Thanks again,

Cari

Archived