Help on Grand Cayman Excursions!

CLJ333

My friend and I are picking out excursions for Grand Cayman. We are having trouble deciding which one of these to do. What is your opinion on these?

Turtle Farm

Coral Reef

Grand Cayman Snorkel

Snuba

We'll be on the Conquest on the 17th. Thanks!

In my opinion, the turtle farm doesn't fit in with the other activities you've listed. You would see turtles in captivity...some of which they eventually release so they have their area with a sand beach and everything. You get to hold one of the turtles - from a different tank. Visit the gift shop. We didn't get to see the baby turtles this time. When they were in the process of moving there were troughs full of different sizes/stages of turtles. So I was a bit disappointed with our visit the second time. It's a good excursion but not an exciting or overly impressive one unless you are really into turtles.

You've left out swimming with the Stingrays...which I thought was one of the most awesome things we've done. The water was about chest deep on the sand bar...and was sea foam green. The stingrays are moderate sized and relatively harmless.

I've not been on your other three choices...hopefully others have.

I agree. The turtle farm was ok, but it wasn't exciting. The bus tour also stopped in Hell, but it's a little store with a post office. We mailed a post card from there. That was it. I also heard the ocean activities are great. I wish we could have done them, instead.

We did the snorkel and stringray sand bar excursion. It was worth the money and we got back early enough to do some shopping in Cayman. Don't let recent stingray events dissuade you from trying this one. How often do you get the chance to stand in the middle of an ocean with stringrays swimming all around you? It's freaky yet awesome all at the same time!

If you like a little more activity, I love stingray city. I've done it on Captain Bryan's and Captain Marvin's. Both were very good.

I too would suggest not doing the turtle farm. It's like visiting a feed lot. Not comfortable for me.

I was not overly impressed with the turtle farm.....but had to see it as we missed the last few times we were in Cayman

We really enjoy the stingrays not sure on any of the other excursions you mentioned

Hell is ok, but if you do stingrays, hell and turtle farm, there is not much if any time to look around or shop

Bonnie

Here is my take on the Turtle farm:

Be aware that the Turtle Farm is just that, a Farm where turtles are raised as a commercial product for human consumption. It's kinda like a pig farm, but with turtles instead of pigs.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from going to the Turtle Farm and I'm not making any sort of judgement about it. I just want people to be aware of farm's primary purpose. The farm does release a small quantity of turtles back into the ocean and it does provide tourists with the opportunity to interact with the turtles.

I'd also pick the stingrays as my first choice, but definitely NOT thru the ship's excursion.

Snuba would be my very close second choice.

I don't like snorkeling as I feel it is too restrictive, but it seems like lots of other people do like it. If you do like snorkeling, then Grand Cayman is an excellent venue for it.

Agree with Bruce, 100%. The turtle farm just depressed me.

You could not pay me enough to do a ship's excursion to Stingray City. Too many people. Catpain Marvin's did an excellent job last summer. Snorkling and stingrays. I'm doing that with the older boys this fall.

We went on the Rays, Reef and Rum point tour with Nativeway and it was the highlight of our cruise! Everyone in our group, various ages, loved it. If you enjoy marine creatures at all, you'll get a huge thrill out of the stingrays...and some great honeymoon photos of you "kissing" them. The snorkeling was terrific and Rum Point was a great relaxation spot. Lunch was good, too.

Archived