Lack of Taxis in Athens port

I just returned from the Jewel which disembarked in Athens. The cruise line had tried to sell us on their transportation, warning us that taxis are hard to come by in port. thinking they just wnated our money, we didn't sign up. Well, they were telling the truth. There was easily a 2 hour line to get a taxi once disembarking. THere were lots of cabs sitting empty in a lot nearby and after asking about those, it seems poeple had called ahead of time and reserved them. I have no idea who they called or how, but definitely something worth looking into. My husband ended up walking to the main street and flagging down a taxi and then having the taxi drive to where I was waiting w the luggage.

Once we got in the taxi and drove the the other side of the port, we realized another ship was also in port (and docked closer to the main street) and most of the available taxis were stopping there first.

So, plan ahead if you're planning on taking a taxi in Athens from the ship (if you have lots of luggage and can't walk to the subway.)

Archived