I think we picked the wrong cruise...Help!

sas80

We are doing the western route in August with our (will-be-then) 10 month old. I am constantly looking at shore excursions and all I am finding is beach-snorkel-swim-boat activities.....

Since we are going to have a 10 month old I dont think we will get as much "use" out of these types of activities...but what else is there to do???

I was thinking of taking DS to the beach but he tends to not do so well when it is hot outside (we live in Tx, the hot factor has been tested repeatedly) So I am worried about getting ourselves stuck on a beach for a day with him.

We have to go because we are cruising with friends and we do want to take the cruise - it just feels like a virgin islands cruise might have been a better selection....

Any suggestions on what to do with a 10 month old in Cozumel, Montego Bay, Jamaica, and the Caymans?

I had the SAME problem so I am going to be no help. When we were on Freedom I was hard pressed to find things that BOTH my 3 and 7 year old could do. Most of the excursions were for older children....even older than 7.

I never have that problem with Eastern Carib. :confused:

All I can suggest is beach time. We went to Playa Mia beach break in Cozumel and they had a pool and a beach, then buffet lunch was included (the food wasn't that great though)

In Jamaica we stayed on the ship because I couldn't find anything better to do and the ship just seemed better than Mo Bay.

In Grand Caymen we did the butterfly farm express but it was boring.

And then of course Labadee is a beach day.

Good luck!

We haven't been in several years, but we really enjoyed Chankanaab Park in Cozumel. It's a short cab ride from the port. They have a walk-through botanical garden and archaeological park (replicas of ancient Mayan/Aztec structures and statues--pretty interesting), a sandy beach area where the little one could play, and a dolphin park where the little one could watch the dolphins swim. We tried a dolphin encounter in the Bahamas when DD was 14 months, and she was terrified to be in the water with them, but she loved watching them from a safe distance. There are showers, bathrooms and refreshments near the beach and several little shops on the grounds. We thoroughly enjoyed it, and I think a little one would as well.

If your little one is fairly low-maintenance, the island highlights-type tour in Grand Cayman was fairly interesting. There's a beach area about a mile from the tender dock, although I can't recall the name.

As for Jamaica, we haven't been there in a long time. However, definitely stick with a ship sponsored excursion. We went to Ocho Rios and were approached several times to buy drugs, even though we were in "secured" areas with ship-sponsored tours.

Hope you have a great cruise with your little one!

We just returned from those 3 ports with my 20 month old. In Jamaica we went to Doctors Cave beach and put our beach chairs under the very shady spot provided by the palm trees. It was a great spot with no sun getting in at all. In Cayman my parents took my DD on the Trolley Rodger excursion. It's a tram ride (similiar to the trams in parking lots at Disney or 6 Flags) that takes you all around the island. Afterwards they went and had lunch at Margaritaville. In Cozymel we went to Paradise Beach and again found a shady spot. At PB they didn't have any trees but we got the chairs closest to the sitting area/bar and they were covered by the roof of the building. Also, in both MB and Cayman it rained. At MB our bus driver told us to do the beach first. When I asked why he said it most likely will rain as it does everyday in the afternoon. Sure enough right about 12 it started raining and hadn't stopped by the time the ship pulled away from the dock about 5. Even though it was raining it was a nice rain (not a thunder, lightening, hail, tornado event) that lowered the temps to a nice comfortable degree making the shopping not too bad. In Cayman it was sunny when we got off the tender, started raining a bit later, stopped within 30 minutes and was sunny again by mid morning. It was like being back in TX...don't like the weather wait 10 minutes!

We were taking a risk by going to the beaches because our daughter doesn't like sand. Of course she'd fight a bit but eventually the sand bucket and shovel won the battle and she'd play as long as her bottom was on a towel. When she realized sand was on her feet she'd flip out till we got it off. Anyways, at both beaches we only stayed for a few hours because of heat, wanting to shop, and getting back to the boat for rest/naptime for all of us.

I'm not sure what line you're sailing (RCCL or CCL) but on Carnivals website when you look at the excursions it will tell you which ones are baby friendly. Sorry I can't really tell you what to do but thought you might like to know what we did as a suggestion.

Try Sunset Beach all inclusive resort in MoBay. Lots of good reviews on ports of call board.

:o which port? Is MoBay Montego Bay, Jamaica?

We are going with friends and they are so chill that they will do whatever. We want to make sure we can taxi to any beach so that, if baby needs to, we can taxi back to the ship. Can you taxi there?

I have a 2 and 4 year old. I'll be cruising within 2 weeks yay! We are doing the Mayan temple excursion in Costa Maya, I can bring my stroller and they are not going to charge me for my 2 year old.

http://www.chacchobenruins.com/

I just did this tour with David and Ivan in April. LOVED IT! The ruins are amazing! David or Ivan are locals and will give you an amazing amount of information abour the people and culture of the area. Great, great, great tour!

I am breatfeeding at the moment and they were so nice! We got to the site and they agreed to take the group on ahead and let me feed the baby in the van for 20 minutes and then they came back to get us. At the end of the excursion, DS was fussy because of the heat and they happily let us sit in the van to wait for everyone. Both times they turned the car on so we could use the air. VERY nice people!

The tour is perfectly stroller capable too.

If you get a chance, go to town and have cocnut shrimp for lunch at "The Cat's Meow" dinnermates said it was HEAVEN!

Dinnermates also said you could get 20 minute massages on the beach for $5. See if you can work that in!

We are going back to Costa Maya next April and are going to be SURE to do both. We may even do the ruins tour again because it was so great.

You are just all over this site boards being a complete ass, arent you?

Or at least very unhelpful. The great thing about CC boards is that you can ignore certain users. Click on the userid and choose "View public profile". There is an option to "Add user to Ignore List" and you will no longer see their posts.

I don't think you chose the wrong cruise. With our then 8 m/o we did the East. Carib but did a lot of beach-swim-boat activities with him. You can always just get off the boat and hire a taxi to take you to the beach.

Just remember that you are on vacation, relax and have a good time!

I would agree with Sunset Beach at Mo Bay

http://www.sunsetbeachresort.com/

My SIL and her friends all went there last year and I edited their pictures when they got back and the place is beautiful. You can actually see the resort when you dock in Mo Bay...we could see it from our balcony, so it's close.

We chose NOT to go there cause since we were on Freedom I figured that anything the hotel had as far as pool/ammenities the ship would have as well. And we already had enough beach days with Labadee and Cozumel.

So if you want a nice family friendly resort (there is even a kid's area) they try Sunset Beach Resort

I'm having trouble with excursion with a 2-year old on the same itinerary, but plan to do a lot of boat and beach time. I think it might actually be more relaxing that past cruises, since we won't be running from here to there and back, trying to get it all in.

Planning to go to Paradise Beach in Cozumel, go to the Cozumel boards -- there's a HUGE thread on it.

In Grand Cayman, I'm getting a daypass to the Hyatt.

Staying on board in Jamaica.

Beach day in Labadee.

It won't be our most culturally diverse cruise, but hopefully it'll be relaxing. :)

Good luck - your cruise is what you make of it, so just go in with a positive outlook, don't overplan, and you should be fine!

I think you've gotten some nice ideas here. Sorry I can't help, I am taking my kids on there 1st cruise in August (2 & 6) and we are doing an Eastern C. You could always go shopping and explore on your own. Excursions are on the expensive side anyway. I think CruisinMama's idea of beach break with the pool might be good. Don't forget your stroller if you plan to explore and shop. Good for storing purchases too! You will absolutely have a great time regardless of it being Western C, so don't think for 1 minute that you chose the wrong cruise. You are on VACATION and that's all that matters! Have fun.:)

The last time the we had the kids in Grand Cayman they were 6 months, 4, and 8. That was 6 years ago so I do not know if anything changed but we did a tour that took us to the turtle farm. They loved it. The older two got to hold turtles and have their picture taken. It then went to "Hell" (yes, there is a town named hell) where my husband got to send postcards to work postmarked from Hell. But the kids loved the rock formations that surrounded the post office that gave it it's name. We then went on a semi-submersive observation area to see sting rays. I don't know if this helps at all, but my three loved all of those activities. Good luch and have a great time.

We just did TRIUMPH (5/26) with our DS2.

In Cozumel, we went to Playa Mia (we took a cab). Like PP said, they have a small pool (but has a part where the water is ankle-deep, my DS LOVED that), and the beach was perfect. We got there early enough to get chairs close to the water w/free umbrellas. We got the deluxe package so we didn't eat the buffet. The food was very good. Bathrooms with showers and changing areas were great.

In Grand Cayman, we went to the Colony Beach club (again cab). Not much here, but a beach and chairs. My DS is a beach bum -- he can run in and out of the water all day. We also got umbrellas, but at $10 each.

In Ocho Rios, we walked over to the Bamboo Beach Club. We had chairs under a huge tree. The water was shallow enough for him.

We took it easy and mostly relaxed under the sunshine. I really couldn't do most of the excursions with him -- but thinking about it, just hanging out at the beach was exactly what we needed.

In Cozumel, we went to Playa Mia (we took a cab). Like PP said, they have a small pool (but has a part where the water is ankle-deep, my DS LOVED that), and the beach was perfect. We got there early enough to get chairs close to the water w/free umbrellas. We got the deluxe package so we didn't eat the buffet. The food was very good. Bathrooms with showers and changing areas were great.

YES! If you are going to do this excursion TommyzMommy had the right idea...TAKE A TAXI...lol. We paid more for the excursion to find out later we could have taken a taxi and paid alot less for the same thing. They have a bunch of different options at Playa Mia. You can choose open bar, food, or just the beach.

:o which port? Is MoBay Montego Bay, Jamaica?

We are going with friends and they are so chill that they will do whatever. We want to make sure we can taxi to any beach so that, if baby needs to, we can taxi back to the ship. Can you taxi there?

Yes it is Montego Bay. I have not been there but have read great things about this place especially for kids. It is reachable by taxi. I would suggest you email them for rates (mention you are on a cruise).

Hi,

We just went Western with our two kids age 7 & 4.

Your time in Grand Cayman is relatively short due to island restrictions, and tendering takes time too. There is lots of shopping downtown that you can wander about for a time, but I HIGHLY recommend the Turtle Farm. There are lots of turtle and other exhibits to look at (maybe not great for a 10 month old, but it may interest them somewhat?) and depending on what package you get at the entrance gate, they have a little swimming lagoon and beach type area too. In our opinion also they have the BEST souvenier shop - the stuff in town was not nearly as nice as what they had out at the turtle farm. http://www.turtle.ky/main.cfm

http://www.boatswainsbeach.ky/

We took a ship's excursion tour of Grand Cayman which drove us along 7 mile beach, to "Hell" (NOT worth it - one parking lot with two look out decks over the rock formation, then into the tshirt shop and back on the bus), then to the turtle farm. We only had 30 min there to do the tour, turtles and shop (our tickets did not give us the lagoon area). In hindsight, we would have been better off telling the driver we were staying and taking a taxi back, but we didn't think of it !!!

The butterfly farm is owned by the same folks as the one in St. Martin - we've been to St. Martin's twice - its nice, but small and not overly stimulating!! I'd expect Grand Cayman's to be about the same.

Cozumel - lots of shopping right at the main pier (there are a few piers and some still tender depending on how many ships in that day) so you can wander about there. We took ships "overview" tour, and had an hour at Playa Mia beach break - nice beach and a little pool with different depths to splash / swim in. (google it for photos) It was HOT though. There were tables in the shade. We didn't eat there so I don't know about the food.

Jamaica - we skipped Ochos Rios due to high winds so I can't comment!

You might want to take advantage of some of the suggested resort days, because you won't be able to put baby in the pools on the ship.

Which ship are you taking?

We went here too. We took a taxi, $15 each way for up to 4 people. We bought the admission tickets on the ship and I am thinking when I compared the prices when we went in the ship's tickets were cheaper. We didn't get the tickets with the buffet just the open bar (which included alcohol, cokes and bottled water). We loved the pool. DS was 7 months but we left him with my inlaws on the ship while we went to the beach. If we return to Cozumel I will definitely take DS here. DS will be 15 months on our next cruise so we are trying to decide what to do also but we are only going to Nassau and Freeport.

We are doing the western route in August with our (will-be-then) 10 month old. I am constantly looking at shore excursions and all I am finding is beach-snorkel-swim-boat activities.....

Since we are going to have a 10 month old I dont think we will get as much "use" out of these types of activities...

I LOVE the beach-swim-snorkel-boat activities with the little ones. Yes, you're right, us moms don't get every last dime's worth if we have to take turns snorkeling and not getting as much water time. But they can be fun anyway. Maybe give it a try in one port???

When we went to Jamacia (Ocho Rios) w/ our barely walking daughter, we went to the botanical gardens. We had a baby pack we put her in and we just walked around the grounds. It was warm with periodic massive downpours of rain, which she thought was really fun to see (we'd scurry for the shelters when the rain would suddenly start). There weren't a lot of people there and it was quite beautiful. From Montego Bay, my favorite thing to do is to go rafting. They have wood rafts that float down rivers. It's all flat water, so no danger of tipping.

Archived