NY - Picking up supplies

KAWS

We're planning to ask our car driver to stop somewhere to get wine, pop and water on our way to Red Hook from JFK. Can anyone tell me where we can do a one-stop to get all of these?

Thanks.

We're planning to ask our car driver to stop somewhere to get wine, pop and water on our way to Red Hook from JFK. Can anyone tell me where we can do a one-stop to get all of these?

Thanks.

In New York you can only get wine from a liquor or wine store. The only place to do this as one Stop is the Pathmark Shopping Center at Hamilton Avenue and 14th street that has a liquor store at the same place as a supermarket. This is less than a mile from the pier. However while its not a bad liquor store it doesn't have a good wine selection. You can get good wines reasonably at Heights Chateau on Atlantic between Hicks and henry while there is a Key food at Altantic at the corner of Clinton....although the pathmark is generally better. Of course as everyone knows you can get water soda and beer at Fairway at the end of Van Brunt and on the way is a great wine/liquor store called LeNells.

Forget the alcohol. NY is on a big crackdown due to the new rules in place by the cruiselines bringing alcohol aboard. They can (and already have!) deny boarding.

There was a showdown reported on the news last weekend when passengers in NY were attempting to smuggle it in their suitcases, water bottles, etc. They make you open all bottles & they smell it. You have to dump it at the pier.

Bring an extra $100 for alcohol. If the ship denys you boarding because you are breaking the rules, its not worth your entire vacation shot to hell because of it. You also can't sue them over it either - posted on their website and in the brochures, cruise documents, etc.

Of course as everyone knows you can get water soda and beer at Fairway at the end of Van Brunt and on the way is a great wine/liquor store called LeNells.

This sounds like the best bet. We'll do a two part run - the wine and the soda/water. I don't want to have to bring wine in my suitcase on the airplane. Thanks for the info.

Thanks too, Cassandra, for the heads up about the crackdown on the booze. Hubby WAS planning to buy a little snort or two for the room but if this can be the potential problem you're describing, it's definitely NOT worth it. I understand that wine is allowed and I'm hoping that some diet soda and some water are as well - true?

Forget the alcohol. NY is on a big crackdown due to the new rules in place by the cruiselines bringing alcohol aboard. They can (and already have!) deny boarding.

There was a showdown reported on the news last weekend when passengers in NY were attempting to smuggle it in their suitcases, water bottles, etc. They make you open all bottles & they smell it. You have to dump it at the pier.

Hubby just asked me a question and it's a good one. Are you referring to carry on bags?

If your bags (not your carry on) go ahead of you into the rooms, then I'm not sure howthey can tell if you have some contraband in there? I can see that they would notice your carry on bags but with all the bags coming through to the rooms all at once like they do, how can they partner up the bags to the pax in order to stop you bringing a bottle of something that's in your checked bag?

Hubby just asked me a question and it's a good one. Are you referring to carry on bags?

If your bags (not your carry on) go ahead of you into the rooms, then I'm not sure howthey can tell if you have some contraband in there? I can see that they would notice your carry on bags but with all the bags coming through to the rooms all at once like they do, how can they partner up the bags to the pax in order to stop you bringing a bottle of something that's in your checked bag?

all bags are xrayed including the bags you send ahead. Homeland security requirement.

Archived