Buying liquor on Cayman

cheaptravel

I know I read that you should buy your rum "souveniers" early because the stores send them to your ship and have a cut-off time where they won't do it any longer. If so, what do most people do ~ make that purchase first thing? I'm also wondering if Jamaica and Cozumel have the same procedures?

We buy it first thing & have it sent back to the ship. Would be a good idea to make sure it's a ship approved store. Purchased liquor at Tortuga store 3 times. The last time our booze didn't make it to the ship. Just a fluke & don't think it happens very often. Cruiseline was very helpful in completing necessary paperwork. The store also called us to resolve it once we were home. Since it was a ship approved store, didn't have any problem getting a refund.

We buy it first thing & have it sent back to the ship. Would be a good idea to make sure it's a ship approved store. Purchased liquor at Tortuga store 3 times. The last time our booze didn't make it to the ship. Just a fluke & don't think it happens very often. Cruiseline was very helpful in completing necessary paperwork. The store also called us to resolve it once we were home. Since it was a ship approved store, didn't have any problem getting a refund.

In Grand Cayman the only place that I buy my rum cakes, and liquor is Blackbeards and/or Tortuga. I usually buy and pay for it at least 2 or 3 hours before the ship departs.

When we were in GC in October I bought this great tasting Cream Rum. It is excellent and I"m getting more this time. The best way to recognize it, is that it is in a Leopard fabric covered bottle. It also comes in coffee flavor. Its great poured over crushed ice. I think I got it at Tortuga. They will give you a sample/taste of it.

"Would be a good idea to make sure it's a ship approved store."

Having been in the tourism business in Cayman, I think people should know that "ship approved" means "paid the money to be advertised in their flyers". It might be worth it to some, and having some sort of easy system for dealing with post-purchase problems is always nice, but do not kid yourself that these stores are inherently superior.

Where is it a better buy on booze Grand Cayman or Mexico?

Personally I think you get a better buy on Rum in the Caymans and Mexico for Tequila. At least thats how it was in the past. Vanilla in Mexico.i

In Cayman I went to Tortuga and bought this cream rum that is greast over crushed ice. I also bought it in coffee flavor. The best one, I can't remember the name but it comes in a leopard fabric covered bottle. We love that one the best.

"Would be a good idea to make sure it's a ship approved store."

Having been in the tourism business in Cayman, I think people should know that "ship approved" means "paid the money to be advertised in their flyers". It might be worth it to some, and having some sort of easy system for dealing with post-purchase problems is always nice, but do not kid yourself that these stores are inherently superior.

No, the ship approved stores are not necessarily superior and we shop in many other stores. But when prepaying for something to be delivered it was nice to have the cruise line intervene to assist us in getting our money back when there was a mistake.

Archived