shopping in SJ

jamscckmc

Heard there are great outlets in SJ. Anyone know how far they are from the ship? DO US citizens pay sales tax in SJ? I think I remember St. Thomas being duty free.:confused:

There are a couple of outlets in OSJ. It depends on what you are looking for. Personally, I find the outlet shopping similar to the mainland.

There is now a sales tax in Puerto Rico. You'll have to pay it (~6.5 - 7%). The distance to OSJ depends on which pier you are arriving at. It is in walking distance of all Carnival ships, but not RCCI ships that use SJ as a homeport. Which cruise are you on?

You can buy duty free at the airport before leaving the island, but that's not how it works everywhere else.

BTW - Puerto Rican residents are also US citizens. Not sure if you meant residents, but I wanted to clarify that point.

We will be on the crown princess. I knew the PR were Us citizens but did'nt know if us mainlanders paid tax there or if purchases were dutyfree. Sounds like they just started adding tax. I think US virgin Islands were duty free last time we were there. My daughter is especially interested in the coach outlet. We had recently been in Atlantic City,NJ. They have ahuge Coach outlet with great deals and hoped SJ had a similar store. Has anyone been there.

We will be on the crown princess. I knew the PR were Us citizens but did'nt know if us mainlanders paid tax there or if purchases were dutyfree. Sounds like they just started adding tax. I think US virgin Islands were duty free last time we were there. My daughter is especially interested in the coach outlet. We had recently been in Atlantic City,NJ. They have ahuge Coach outlet with great deals and hoped SJ had a similar store. Has anyone been there.

jamscckmc,

The tax is new -- everyone pays it for whatever you purchase -- no exceptions. No way to claim it back as in Canada. Just returned from 5/21 Crown Princess sailing. Merchants hate it since they must circle it or indicate it on every sales receipt which takes time for them to do.

MARAPRINCE

Archived