An amazing find

bychance

hi bychance,

I just went onto a heritage program that I have, and this may be your Annette. This was all I could find on her.

Name: Annette Lucille NOBLE

Sex: F

Birth: 1844

Father: William NOBLE b: 9 MAY 1803

Mother: Amelia Stiles DENIO b: 1806

Death Notice:

NOBLE, Annette Lucille; 88; Albion NY; Tonawanda News; 1932-11-29; ckalota

hi bychance,

I just went onto a heritage program that I have, and this may be your Annette. This was all I could find on her.

Name: Annette Lucille NOBLE

Sex: F

Birth: 1844

Father: William NOBLE b: 9 MAY 1803

Mother: Amelia Stiles DENIO b: 1806

Death Notice:

NOBLE, Annette Lucille; 88; Albion NY; Tonawanda News; 1932-11-29; ckalota

Yep that's her. She was an author there are a few posts here that have some of the books she wrote.

Dear Cool Cruiser

I have just joined this message board because of your "An amazing find" after trying to goggle New York to Liverpool passenger lists for 1890 as part of family research.

I have a letter from an distant relative who was booked on the may 1890 voyage of the SS City of New York.

This is what he says about the steamer which may be of interest to those reading this thread.

"I wrote to you on the 21 st of March telling you of (his wife's) admission to undertake the trip to England with me & that I have purchased a state room for Liverpool & return on the steamer City of Paris whose sailing was New York at 7 am on the 21 st of May. But man proposes and God disposes. The steamer City of Paris & the City of New York are two of the longest and fastest steamers plying between New York & Liverpool & 2 of the most elegantly equipped steamers on the Atlantic.

The twin ships of the Inman Line were launched were launched in the Clyde in Scotland in the fall of 1888 (his son's name) & I saw them lying in the Clyde river as we were going from Glasgow to Belfast. The steamer City of Paris left New York on her regular trip to Liverpool at the latter end of March when 300 miles from Queenstown she had an explosion in her cylinder completely diasbling one engine & that engine in her pounding disabled the other engine & knocking a hole through her 60 by 70 feet in size & letting in 2000 tons of water. The steamer Aldersgate came along & towed her into Queenstown & afterwards she went on to Liverpool where she arrived safely but it will take a long time to repair her, probably the balance of the year. The company have substituted the steamer City of New York for her trip on May 21 st & we have secured precisely the same stateroom No 309 in her so we sail on the date contemplated in my last with merely the change of instead of going in the City of Paris we go the City of New York".

Cool Cruiser I wonder in the journal in any part of the passenger lists that may be preserveed is there mention of a passenger named "Dudley" or perhaps "Duddy" for the outbound and return voyages.

Thank you so much for sharing the journal. I hope it brings you very good fortune and many friends.

Cheers Sea Field

Dear Cool Cruiser

I have just joined this message board because of your "An amazing find" after trying to goggle New York to Liverpool passenger lists for 1890 as part of family research.

I have a letter from an distant relative who was booked on the may 1890 voyage of the SS City of New York.

This is what he says about the steamer which may be of interest to those reading this thread.

"I wrote to you on the 21 st of March telling you of (his wife's) admission to undertake the trip to England with me & that I have purchased a state room for Liverpool & return on the steamer City of Paris whose sailing was New York at 7 am on the 21 st of May. But man proposes and God disposes. The steamer City of Paris & the City of New York are two of the longest and fastest steamers plying between New York & Liverpool & 2 of the most elegantly equipped steamers on the Atlantic.

The twin ships of the Inman Line were launched were launched in the Clyde in Scotland in the fall of 1888 (his son's name) & I saw them lying in the Clyde river as we were going from Glasgow to Belfast. The steamer City of Paris left New York on her regular trip to Liverpool at the latter end of March when 300 miles from Queenstown she had an explosion in her cylinder completely diasbling one engine & that engine in her pounding disabled the other engine & knocking a hole through her 60 by 70 feet in size & letting in 2000 tons of water. The steamer Aldersgate came along & towed her into Queenstown & afterwards she went on to Liverpool where she arrived safely but it will take a long time to repair her, probably the balance of the year. The company have substituted the steamer City of New York for her trip on May 21 st & we have secured precisely the same stateroom No 309 in her so we sail on the date contemplated in my last with merely the change of instead of going in the City of Paris we go the City of New York".

Cool Cruiser I wonder in the journal in any part of the passenger lists that may be preserveed is there mention of a passenger named "Dudley" or perhaps "Duddy" for the outbound and return voyages.

Thank you so much for sharing the journal. I hope it brings you very good fortune and many friends.

Cheers Sea Field

I will check the passenger list for that name and let you know!

I recieved and e-mail back from the gentleman at Christies and he said that unless it recorded a historical event it is valued around $100 - $ 200.

So it is just a great find, which is okay with me. And hey who knows it may contain a historical event that we just haven't read far enough yet!!

Any way sometime in the next week I will try to post the rest of the journal.

bychance

Bill, was playing around on the boards and just wanted to say hello! Really enjoyed cruising with you and your DW, and hope we get the chance again some day. Have stayed in touch with a few from the group. We are taking a short cruise in Aug. and then heading to Hawaii in Oct. Take care and great to see you on here. Michael & Mary Anne from Indianapolis- Home of Super Bowl winning COLTS!!

• 2 weeks later...
I recieved and e-mail back from the gentleman at Christies and he said that unless it recorded a historical event it is valued around $100 - $ 200.

So it is just a great find, which is okay with me. And hey who knows it may contain a historical event that we just haven't read far enough yet!!

Any way sometime in the next week I will try to post the rest of the journal.

bychance

Don't wish to get into a bidding war but if at any time over the next 20 years you wish to dispose of this journal please email me at book@2008worldcruise.com and I am sure we can do better than Christie's estimate.

Archived