Tortola Jost Van Dyke Excursion

Kittykath

I want to book this excursion and I see where it says you have to be able to swim... just want to know if anyone has done this and can tell me how much swimming is involved? I'm just about one level above the doggie-paddle when it comes to swimming so I DO have a slight concern about this! Thanks. K

I want to book this excursion and I see where it says you have to be able to swim... just want to know if anyone has done this and can tell me how much swimming is involved? I'm just about one level above the doggie-paddle when it comes to swimming so I DO have a slight concern about this! Thanks. K

This excursion may not be for you...

The cataman anchors about 100ft from the island. You are given a trash bag to put your towel in. You do NOT get any flotation devices. You jump into the water off the back of the ship. The water will be over your head.

If you're a good swimmer, go for it! It was great! But I advise against it if you're not a "strong swimmer."

If not, sounds like a lawyers delight.

Tortola

Jost Van Dyke Escape

Too good to be true, Jost Van Dyke and White Bay. Swim in crystal-clear waters and let the unspoiled white sand dust you as you come out of the water. Shade provided by coconut palms and sea grape trees. See Sandy Spit, a desert isle and the most photographed destination in BVI.

shorexLegnd_1Mild.gif $49

4 1/2 hours

details

I'm surprised there are no lifejackets and they consider it a "Mild activity".

Here are the "details":

Board a catamaran for a trip to picturesque Jost Van Dyke. At White Bay, swim in the clear blue waters and relax on the beautiful unspoiled white-sand beach shaded with coconut palms and sea grape trees. Discover Sandy Spit, a desert isle and the most photographed of all the BVI's. Note: Participants must know how to swim. Beach location may change due to sea conditions.

Perhaps you could also borrow a snorkel vest from the Dive-In program folks.

I also heard they do not suppy life vests. Is that true?

When I went on this excursion, the company running it did not supply life vests to swim with to shore. They had them on board the catamaran of course, but they were not to be used except in case of an emergency while sailing.

On this excursion, depending on the day, you will have to swim a distance in water that will be over your head for a bit. Its definitely not for non-swimmers.

Thanks, Cliff... I may have to rethink this excursion. Drat! Back to perusing to find a beach!! K

There is a GREAT beach called "The Baths" on Virgin Gorda... and there are usually several excursions that go there. No swimming required :) it's a must-see on Tortola.

There is a GREAT beach called "The Baths" on Virgin Gorda... and there are usually several excursions that go there. No swimming required :) it's a must-see on Tortola.

We have been think about The Baths for next year. Is it really that great? Is there alot of slippery walking? I have two boys age 6 and 8. Is it suitable for them?

We have been think about The Baths for next year. Is it really that great? Is there alot of slippery walking? I have two boys age 6 and 8. Is it suitable for them?

Your kids will love it. Depending on which tour you take, you may have to walk through the "boulders" leading to the hidden beach. Its not difficult, however it doesn't hurt to have those inexpensive water shoes to make it easier on your feet and such.

When I did the Baths excursion off of the Dawn last year we DID have to swim a hundred yards or so from the boat to get to the beach. We then explored the trail through the boulders, and spent some time snorkeling around the boat. A fun excursion, but not one I would recommend for a non-swimmer.

Bruce

When I did the Baths excursion off of the Dawn last year we DID have to swim a hundred yards or so from the boat to get to the beach. We then explored the trail through the boulders, and spent some time snorkeling around the boat. A fun excursion, but not one I would recommend for a non-swimmer.

Bruce

Other Baths excursions actually have you arrive at the TOP of the baths, not on a boat, but by bus. In these, there is no swimming at all, just a bit of hiking down the trail through the boulders.

My concern is swimming back to the boat after drinking and sunning all day :)

I never thought of THAT! Anyone have anything to say about swimming BACK to the boat?!! K

Archived