Transfers vs Cab to ship from Fort Lauderdale

There is a group of 10 of us flying into Fort Lauderdale, our ship is docked in Miami, the problem is, is that RCCL won't offer the transfer from the ship back to the airport upon our return. So my question is, should we just skip the transfers all together, how much does a cab usually cost from Fort Lauderdale-Miami, and how does your luggage get on & off the ship? Sorry if this seems dumb but we've always just got the transfers. Please HELP!!!!:confused:

You will get your bags upon departure. You go into a large terminal and they will be color coded according to airline flight times. You find your bags in your color section and pick them up. You may want to arrange for a van service to be waiting for you to return you. Cabs for 10 may or may not be readily available and 1 or 2 vans to take you all back would be ideal. At least this is what I would do. Check on the US East Coast Departure board for transfer company names and recommendations.

When we got off our cruise in Miami we asked a cab driver and he quoted the two of us $60 for a ride to the FTL airport. If I was you since you have so many people, I would secure a van with a company, that way you have something that will fit all of you and it will be already there and waiting for you guys. Also you know it will be able to handle all the luggage as well. Just my advice. Happy cruising!

I guess there transfers don't start now until after 12:30pm. Does anyone know a van service?

Hi, we (party of 5) used the service of Quality Limo Srevice to pick us up at Fll airport and to take us to the Port of Miami....and a week later in reverse. They use different size of cars and vans depending on the number of people that they service. The also got some large vans with small trailer behind them for the luggage. They charged us $75 each way plus tip.

Wes

I guess there transfers don't start now until after 12:30pm. Does anyone know a van service?

Did this info come directly from RCI? It doesn't make sense - it would create a back up of people at the terminal. We have an early afternoon return flight, and have RT transfers. Last year, we boarded the transfer bus immediately after disembarking and getting our luggage and we were at FLL before 11 AM. It was a full bus, and they were boarding another bus immediately after ours. They will have a lot of people creating more congestion and confusion at he terminal if they aren't leaving until 12:30.

Did this info come directly from RCI? It doesn't make sense - it would create a back up of people at the terminal. We have an early afternoon return flight, and have RT transfers. Last year, we boarded the transfer bus immediately after disembarking and getting our luggage and we were at FLL before 11 AM. It was a full bus, and they were boarding another bus immediately after ours. They will have a lot of people creating more congestion and confusion at he terminal if they aren't leaving until 12:30.

Hi,

I have read someplace here on this board that RCI did not want to sell transfer for flights leaving Fll before 12:30. That does not mean that the buses were not leaving from Port of Miami a lot sooner. I guess they just want to make sure that they will get you to the airport on time and there is going be plenty of time for check in.

Wes

Hi,

I have read someplace here on this board that RCI did not want to sell transfer for flights leaving Fll before 12:30. That does not mean that the buses were not leaving from Port of Miami a lot sooner. I guess they just want to make sure that they will get you to the airport on time and there is going be plenty of time for check in.

Wes

OK - I see what you are saying. I thought you meant the transfer shuttles weren't leaving until 12:30.

They aren't providing transfers for anyone with a flight earlier than 12:30pm, and our flight leaves at 11am so we were unable to secure a transfer for the return. I think I am going to secure a van like a few folks have suggested, it seems like it would be cheaper than the transfer anyways. Our only concern was what do we do with our luggage once we get to the dock, do we take them to the room ourselves? We didn't remember anyone carrying luggage on to the ship last time, but could have been mistaken.

.................... Our only concern was what do we do with our luggage once we get to the dock, do we take them to the room ourselves? We didn't remember anyone carrying luggage on to the ship last time, but could have been mistaken.

Hi,

The way it worked with our luggage was like this:

We picked up our luggage at the FLL airport and then it was put in the van that we had reserved and the luggage went with us to the port of Miami. Once at the proper terminal ( there is a few of them there - ours happened to be terminal E) the van stopped at the station that the baggage is being picked up by the port's personnel and loaded on large carts to be delivered to the ship (ours was EOS). We did take all of our carry on bags and one or two of the smaller suitcases to take with us ....the rest 'went' to be loaded on the ship ( they might be going through an 'x-ray' first). The luggage was delivered to the cabin (or outside the cabin) few hours later.

On the way back it was similar: we picked up our luggage at the port terminal, went ( customs first) outside, waited few minutes for our reserved van, once the van showed up the driver loaded the luggage in a small trailer that was attached to the van (it was a large van but only 5 of us were on it) and we left for the Fll airport, we arrived there about 8;30 / 9 am.

Wes

Archived