activities for three girls: 13, 17, 21

Here's my question about activities for my daughters, who will be 13, 17, and 21 when we cruise next June. I have read about people who take their small kids to cocktail lounges, etc. and let them sleep there, which I would NEVER do. However, since my 17 and 13 yr. old girls will be the youngest traveling in our group of about 21-22 people, is it possible that they can sometimes accompany us if we're heading to a quasi-adult activity? I guess I'm asking if there are dancing opportunities for a multi-generational group....kind of like a wedding reception atmosphere versus a "club" atmosphere. Thanks for humoring me....this is our first cruise, and though the AO activities sound decent, I think that they might want to come with the group sometimes. Having said that, I don't want them hanging out in a bar where there are pick-ups happening all around us. This will be a cruise to celebrate what would have been my in-law's 50th anniv. My father in law passed away a few years ago, but my MIL wants to go ahead with the trip and spend dinner and evenings together. (and yes, I understand that there will be skating opportunities, movies, etc. for the group too. ) Thanks.

I would head to Adventure Ocean when they open up and encourage the younger girls to find a "buddy". It does help their enjoyment of the cruise. I liked the Navigators (age 12-14) activities BUT kids have to show up within the first 15 minutes and participate! My guys (twins 13 years old) tried to make a lot of the activities. I have to credit RCCL staff, many times my guys were the only ones doing the activity and they would alter the game for 2-4 players vs. 20. (Like change the scanvenger hunt to 6 slices of pizza instead of something else) then they'd all eat the pizza in AO.My guys loved it. There weren't many teens on our sailing (yeah!). IF they get involved, it'll be fun. They do have family night at the disco, but my boys felt it was for younger kids.

We played family games in the card room (multi generational travel here,too). One night we all got pizza and crawled into bed and watched a Harry Potter movie! We scheduled lots of early morning excursions and were almost always in bed by 11pm. I'm not sure if this info helps?

Karen

On the cruises we have been on, the dance type clubs are usually open to all ages until about 10pm, then it is 21 or older. Some nights they even had "family dance party" type events, so I am sure you will have no trouble finding times to hang out as a group. Also, don't forget about the shows. You can all go to those together also.

We enjoy taking our daughter to the Captains reception where there is the band playing and couples dancing. She likes to get out there and dance with her cousin or her dad or myself. MY kids (11 and 14) don't enjoy doing any of the Adventure Ocean stuff. I don't fault RCI at all for that, I think it's just my kids personalities. They like hanging out with us on vacation, and we enjoy it too.

I think that the later night parties might be a little more uncomfortable though.

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of scoop I was interested in and I noticed that somebody else with teens asked a similar question. Most of the cousins are teens to very early 20s, and I wanted to be sure that our youngest could so some of the same evening activities beyond movies, shows, etc. We would definately leave before things get too hot and heavy, but we've taken her to dinner at other places along the riverfront or beachfront, for example where there is entertainment such as a DJ and we've all had a great time. Thanks again!

Archived