Kid and Grandparent-friendly cruises? & First-time w/family Q's.

Similyn

I'm in process of trying to research info for myself, but figured I'll ask "experienced" cruise-goers for their thoughts while I'm doing this. :)

My side of the family is planning on a family reunion cruise next year. I'm debating on whether or not to take my son. My dad (who is organizing this...it was his idea) prefers 'quiet' cruises with not a lot of kids (kids being age 18 and under) running around making a bunch of noise. I don't have a big problem with this as I generally prefer the same thing. However, my 3-year-old son hardly gets opportunity to see my side of the family and I want to take him...but I don't want him to be bored. Does anyone know, or can tell me of experiences of any cruise lines that perhaps keep kids 'contained' while keeping them entertained and are trustworthy? I'm not against leaving my son home with hubby's side of the family as son is used to them and won't have a big problem with it. But, I still would like him to spend time with my side of the family (my side of family is spread out over the US).

Also, some questions since I've never cruised with a child before....

Do the kid camps cost? (other than the babysitting ones that state they cost?)

What do you and your families usually do on the cruises? Do you often put your child/children in the kid camp more? Do you spend time with them on the ship more? Do you take them into port with you? (I realize this is personal preference, I'm just looking to hear what people generally prefer for themselves.)

What about the sit-down dinners (and possible formal dinners)? Do you take your 3-5 year-olds with you? Or leave them in the kid camps at that time? Or do you just do the buffet instead? I'm unsure if my son would be able to sit down for too long of a time for a sit-down dinner..but I usually enjoy the sit-down dinners on cruises.

Um....Any other advice for taking yound children on a cruise?

Thanks in advance for your responses. :)

Do Celebrity- any of the "M" class ships- Millenium, Constellation, Summit or Infinity. You won't be sorry.

I have sailed on Carnival Victory, Celebrity Galaxy, Norwegian Spirit, Celebrity Millenium, Sapphire Princess, Celebrity Constellation, Disney Wonder and RCL Radiance of the Seas with my son, Marc (now 6).

Of all the lines I have sailed Celebrity has the best youth program for young kids. There are plenty of counselors and the kids are well taken care of - in a fun and loving environment. My son's favorite was Disney but that was too kids oriented.

Celebrity is relaxing, upscale,with great food and service. There aren't tons of kids on board but enough to make it fun for your kid- without it being a zoo. The "Fun Factory" is free except for at dinner time (every night at 6PM in the buffet $6 fee) and after 10PM ($ 6 per hour). You can leave your child on board on port days and there is just a $ 6 charge for lunch but other than that it is free. What a deal! My son spends 6 hours a day in there- free babysitting. He loves it. We are doing are going on Millenium in July and can't wait.

Celebrity is the perfect line for people that want an adult oriented cruise- with great facilities for the kids.

I mainly agree w/ Rebecca. We too love Celebrity and my daughter thinks fun factory is one of the best kids programs at sea. She also loves Princess programs.

However, I think Princess may be best for you with a young child. The dining times are flexible - you can eat anytime between 5:30 & 10:00 (I believe these are the times). If your dad needs a kid break - he can dine w/ a smaller group at his own table one night. we loved it.

My dd always loved the kids programs. She goes when she feels like depending on what they are doing. She spends more time w/ us than in the program. Loves formal nights and shows - usually always comes w/ us. Celebrity does a kids night on a formal night as a treat for parents/kids. They have dinner w/ the kids, dancing, movies, games, etc. and keep the kids til midnight at no charge. We have never used in cabin babysitting.

When we get off the ship - she comes. The private island has a great kids area - swings, sand, sprinklers in a supervised area - lots of fun.

. . . some questions since I've never cruised with a child before....

Do the kid camps cost? (other than the babysitting ones that state they cost?)

While policies vary from line to line, all that have kids clubs have at least some time each day where there is no additional costs. Most of the clubs and activities are very well run and the lines have fairly strict guidelines in who they will hire for positions in the clubs. Most will offer group after hours sitting at an hourly charge, some provide in-room sitting or will provide assistance in arranging in room sitting. Those with in-room sitting typically use general staff (not specialized sitters) and you are really 'contracting' with that individual (most will require you pay the sitter yourself in cash).

. What do you and your families usually do on the cruises? Do you often put your child/children in the kid camp more? Do you spend time with them on the ship more? Do you take them into port with you? (I realize this is personal preference, I'm just looking to hear what people generally prefer for themselves.)

Our cruises are always family vacations. So we investigate excursions and sightseeing trips beforehand that everyone will enjoy. We spend a lot of time together because we choose to. DD makes friends in the kids clubs and generally wants to be there at certain times. She also enjoys many of their activities and will plan her time there with the scheduled events. She also likes to play ping-pong and put-put golf with us, and rollerskate with me on board. She generally accompanies us on shore, but occassionally she has wanted to do something with the club and for a portion of the day we will go on-land while she stays on board.

. What about the sit-down dinners (and possible formal dinners)? Do you take your 3-5 year-olds with you? Or leave them in the kid camps at that time? Or do you just do the buffet instead? I'm unsure if my son would be able to sit down for too long of a time for a sit-down dinner..but I usually enjoy the sit-down dinners on cruises.

DD generally does about 1/2 of the dinners with us. Other times she will accompany the kids club to dinner or we'll do the buffet with her and eat on our own after she's involved in the evening's activities. When she was younger, we'd often have her come with us to early seating, have her entre when we were eating our appetizers, and then one of us (between courses) would dash up to check her into kid's club (on RCCI they are generally rather close to one another).

. Um....Any other advice for taking yound children on a cruise?

I just lost my father after a long illness. Any time you and your child can spend with your family is most worthwhile. It is amazing how quickly my relatives are aging - it is becoming difficult for them to do things -- and I treasure the memories I have of them when they were younger and vital. So enjoy your family and take this opportunity to spend time with them (rather than waiting for a funeral to see them).

Be certain to adjust your expectations of the cruise. You may spend less time relaxing in a deck chair than you would sans child, but you may spend more time exploring the ship, playing ping-pong and otherwise playing. It does not have to be less of an experience, just a different experience! Good luck and enjoy!

I have done Sapphire Princess, Celebrity Millenium, Celebrity Constellation, Disney Wonder and Royal Caribbean "Radiance of the Seas" in the past two years.

The cruises I enjoyed most were Millenium and Constellation. There is a huge climbing frame with ballpit in the Fun Factory, a dedicated "Science/Arts and Crafts room", a quiet area for watching movies, and a whole tunnel of leap frog type videogames- there is also an outdoor climbing frame. Princess is ok. They do arts and crafts but there aren't areas for the kids to just jump around and slide, etc.

I think a 3 year old boy would like Celebrity "M" class ships better than Princess. And I think the food and service are better on Celebrity. Having sailed both lines recently.

I agree with Rebecca, too. Celebrity had a great kids program and my kids complained bitterly when I pulled them out and woke me up in the morning to go. I was very unimpressed with Holland America; I have been on many HAL cruises pre-kids, and I like the line in general, but it's not good for kids, IMHO.

I also cruise with my parents who prefer a more upscale experience, and they've been happy on both Celebrity and HAL. We're trying Royal Caribbean next time, and I'm a bit worried about whether they'll like it, but I'm sure my kids will love it.

The way we do it is that we let the kids play in the supervised kid's area as much as they want during the sea days (which is all day). I spend that time with either my wife or parents or both. We just relax, read, talk and relax. On port days, the kids come with us and we're in port the entire time, usually hurrying back to the ship with minutes to spare. The reason I like crusing is that I see a lot of my kids and have a great time with them and also get a chance to unwind a bit.

Dinner depends on the line. On Celebrity, the kid's club fed the kids and the kids wanted nothing to do with the formal dinners. They were required to dress up and have dinner with us a couple of times. HAL didn't have that option, so they ate with us every night. Looks like Royal Caribbean feeds them some nights and not others, which works for us.

Archived