Jitney Routes

dreamer2

Everyone talks about the #10. I'm going to get off the boat blind with not a clue as to where to go. Can I get a Jitney map of any kind and where?

Need to know what Jitney to take to where.

No maps or schedules anywhere. Jitneys are independently owned and operated, so scheduling is up to the individual. Most run from 6am - 6pm.

There really isn't anywhere much to go.. unless your visiting friends on the island. The #10 goes back and forth from town west to cable Beach - along West Bay Street to all the hotels and restuarants along the way,

Several jitneys Including #1 and 11 will take you to the foot of the Bridge east of town.

#16 goes to the Bacardi tour (you have to call them to see if they are doing tours that day).

The buses (jitneys) do not go to Atlantis, and there's really not much of anything on interest on the other routes. Jitneys are meant for workers to get back and forth to work. Not really a tourist mode.. but the #10 is useful for getting around the hotels and beaches.

A friend recommended we take the #10 jitney just to take a ride around because she says the jitney drivers are very friendly and will share information.

Could we do this without having a destination in mind?

Or should we say, pick the farthest point or beach and take it to there?

Good idea. I would like to just ride around and see the sights as inexpensive as I can.

You certainly could do this.. and if asked.. just tell the driver you're just going for the ride.. but I suggest you pay the r/t fare. That's $2 pp.

You're taking up a seat for the return trip as well. If you want to see a little more of the western sector.. take the 10 A.. it's basically the same loop, but with a few more inland stops. Might be more interesting for a tour.

You could do this for any jitney.. but be aware that those that go cross - island usually cost $1.50.. so double that.. and you have a $3 round trip tour.

Have fun, chat with the locals.. you'll have a wonderful experience.

LOL.....we were out at Harbour Bay Shopping Centre to go to Dairy Queen. No problem getting there. But when it was time to return we got on the first jitney that came along East Bay Street. It had "Shirley Street" written on it which I knew was the one way street heading back towards downtown Nassau. So I figured it was going to go around the block and head back to town. WRONG! It kept heading east....and east....and east. I asked a fellow passenger and he told me it would be another 15-minutes at least before it reached it's most eastern point and then would head back to town! OMG! :eek:

But he told the driver that we were going the wrong way and the driver flashed a jitney already heading back the opposite direction (towards town) and both jitneys stopped and we switched over. Got to see parts of the island not normally seen by tourists....a good deal for $2.00 per person round trip!!

BobK/Orlando

Archived