Cell phone in Alaska

babars

Hey all,

Does anyone know if cell phones work on the Alaska cruise? we lost one of our walkie-talkies at our last cruise, and we need to communicate at times b/c we have a toddler with us. We have Verizon as our carrier.

Thanks.

I called Verizon directly, I am not sure what plan you have but if you have the America's choice family plan this is what I was told

On the ship if we use our phones it will be $2.49/minute

2) In Alaska since its part of the 50 states we do not get charged roaming or extra for minutes so as long as we are on land our plan will kick in. Of course it depends on the reception the further we go inland the worst the reception might get.

3) For Victoria, Canada they will charge us 0.69 cents/min

I hope this helps it does not hurt to call them and ask.

While you are in any alaska port your phone will work fine and there will be no roaming charges.(Verison) When the ship is under way their cell tower (NCL's)is up and running and there will be hefty fees incurred. Only use your cell phone for emergencies when sailing. I've talked to people who had hundreds of dollars in charges do to using their phone while at sea.

engineer

The service for Verizon is not very good in alaska. from the phone calls to Verizon (not very helpful), there is coverage in Anchorage and Juneau, Skagway, not so sure. Ketchikan hit and miss in the city. There is also an additionl charge for Victoria. I am pretty sure it is a roaming fee of 49 cents per minute.:)

Archived