Independent boating in Icy Strait Point

hooked-on-travel

So much of the information here has been so good, I just have to share my most recent find. For anyone looking to get away from the canned whale watching trip with the cruiseline, I found an outfit in Hoonah who can take up to six passengers fishing or sightseeing. When I contacted them, they were already booked when we were going to be there, so they contacted one of their independent charter friends and helped us hook up. We're now looking forward to getting away from all the people and having a private tour. I found them at http://www.g-wind.com/. They seem eager to share any other advice, too.

We chartered their boat a few months ago for our trip in June and are looking forward to a day cruising around, fishing, and seeing wildlife (we hope!) Shawn is a teacher/coach in the Fairbanks area which probably accounts for the shortened season. It looks like his schedule is filling up rapidly. It took the cruiselines so long to post their shore excursions that I imagine a lot of people started looking around like we did, although I have to say I like this option a lot better than anything Celebrity had to offer.

I figured the season was linked to a teacher's schedule. (I'm married to a teacher, so I'm very in tune with "travel season.")

Karen & Mark - I found Shawn and two other charters on hoonahalaska.com. Go to the "Links" from the main menu and pick "Charters". The other way is to send an e-mail to Glacier Wind Charters (Shawn's website) and ask Shawn for a recommendation. That worked for us. icon_smile.gif

Archived