Hurricane worries/Insurance

BTMRT

We live in FL and want to take a cruise before the end of 07 so besides having to worry about weather on the cruise itself, we need to worry about a hurricane hitting FL while we're gone.

Question:

If we buy cruise insurance (suggestions for this type of insurance appreciated), could we cancel if we hear that a cruise may be coming toward FL around the time the ship has to depart? (If so, is there any leeway? For example, if I'm watching the weather and 2 days before we leave, a serious looking tropical depression forms, can I just decide to cancel the trip? If so, what may my financial liability be?

Perhaps I should just bite the bullet, pay alot more $ and go in December or January.

Barbara

• 2 weeks later...
We live in FL and want to take a cruise before the end of 07 so besides having to worry about weather on the cruise itself, we need to worry about a hurricane hitting FL while we're gone.

Question:

If we buy cruise insurance (suggestions for this type of insurance appreciated), could we cancel if we hear that a cruise may be coming toward FL around the time the ship has to depart? (If so, is there any leeway? For example, if I'm watching the weather and 2 days before we leave, a serious looking tropical depression forms, can I just decide to cancel the trip? If so, what may my financial liability be?

Perhaps I should just bite the bullet, pay alot more $ and go in December or January.

Barbara

We too are from Florida (Orlando) and always have the same insurance questions as you have about canceling a cruise if there is a possibility of a hurricane out there coming towards our home in Orlando. To make matters worse for us, my husband works for a Utility Company and if there is a threat of one to come, he's not even allowed to leave on vacation so we would have to cancel. I have talked to various insurance agents myself and the problem I see is that there is a big difference between "possiblity" of hitting and actually hitting. If it's possible, the cruise ship would more than likely just reroute and avoid the storm but that doesn't do us any good if we want to stay home to protect everything when it hits. Then, there is the fine print that talks about "cruise destination" hit by a hurricane. Our home city is not our destination. Since we already live in Florida and would want to stay home to protect our homes, the agent told me it would be the safest to buy a policy that has a "cancel for any reason" (such as Travel Safe and Global Alert). Without cancel for any reason, we may run into too many loopholes that won't allow us to cancel.

Actually booking in early December the rates seem to be at the lowest of the season - for instance the Dec. 9/10th timeframe.

Also I would definitely get the cancel for any reason but remember even that one is getting only a percentage back of what you paid and you must cancel 2 days before.

Archived