Camp Carnival Fantasy/FIRST TRIP...HELP!!1

:confused: WE ARE TAKING OUR FIRST TRIP IN A FEW MTHS. TRAVELING WITH TWIN BOYS AGE 12. WE ARE WONDERING WHAT EXPERIENCES GOOD OR BAD OTHERS HAVE HAD WITH CAMP CARNIVAL...IS IT REALLY AS SAFE AS I HAVE HEARD IT IS? THEY BOYS ARE VERY MATURE AND RESPONSIBLE. SO MANY QUESTION......

CAN YOU ORDER BEER TO YOUR ROOM?

TAKE CELL PHONES FOR CALL OUR BOYS ON THE SHIP?

WHERE DO YOU PUT YOUR SIGN AND SAIL CARD WHEN YOU ARE BY THE POOL?

ANY INPUT....MUCH APPRECIATED:D

Hi,

I will try to give you some answers to your questions. We started cruising when our kids were 3, 10, & 12. The little one loves Camp Carnival. Even back then the older ones didn't like Camp Carnival. The just hung around with us , did the shows, sit on the deck etc. I do know that at that age group they can sign them selves out at will. When they were that age we were traveling at "off" times because I would take them out of school. Maybe that is why they didn't have many kids that attended Camp therefore they didn't want to go.

As far as using cell phones on the ship to keep in touch..... It would be very expensive. We used walkie talkies on the ship. I remember them being pretty dependable. you could do a search on walkie talkies and get a current review on them.

As far as the sign and sail while swimming..... we didn't swim so can't help you there.

We love the Fanasty.....did the Conquest... too big.... Fanasty just the right size.

Just enjoy yourself.

THANKS FOR THE INFO....I WILL BE TAKING THE TWO WAY RADIOS AFTER ALL THE INFO THAT I HAVE READ AND KEEPING CELL PHONES FOR JUST EMERGENCY!

I AM GOING TO CHECK OUT THE SITE FOR THE WATERPROOF HOLDER FOR S&S CARD.....

JUST LIKE TO KNOW WHAT GOING GO,,,,NEXT SUMMER I'LL HAVE THIS DOWN PAT AND NOT STRESS OVER BEING ORGANIZED..

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR THE INFO

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND....

On our first family cruise, we took our DS-then about 12. He went to Camp Carnival once (for about 2 hours) and didn't like it. It takes him a long time to make friends. After that we took his

best friend with us on our cruises. They loved it. With twins I don't know if this is possible, but it's a consideration.:)

Mother of Twins - Our boys, 9 & 11 have never really liked spending a lot of time at Camp Carnival. On the first night we get the CC schedule and they pick the events that they want to go to. For the rest of the time onboard they play in the pool and on the slide, go to the arcade, hang out with new friends, and spend time with mom and dad. If you let your sons come and go from CC when they want and not make them spend the whole day there, they will have a GREAT time on their cruise!

For the waterproof card holders try looking in your local Walmart or Eckerds. They usually sell these for just a few dollars in the "seasonal" department. The last time I bought some, I paid $2.00 each at Publix!

I don't know about ordering beer in your room, but you can certainly order it at the bar and bring it back to your room. Or better yet, bring a 12 pack onboard with you and put it in your fridge.

P.S. -- You might want to take the Caps Lock off when you're posting...it means you're yelling!

sorry about the all caps, it's just that the shift key and i do not get along...usually try and drop to all lower case but forgot!

sounds like what you do with your boys will be what we do...we'll check out the sch and go from there...

so do you let them check themselves in and out? i just don't know how i feel about that. it's mostly because this is our first trip and i worry so much about stranger danger....i think i will test the waters when we get there and follow my gut!

found some cool lanyards larger size clear case at Academy sports yesterday...it will hold alot.

so much to absorb when it's your first trip but all of the members have been so sweet and helpful.

thank you for your input! :o

We just got off Fantasy yesterday. My 11 y-o son really didn't want to go to Camp Carnival much. He mostly swam at the pool and went to the Arcade. One night he did go to the late-night one (cost $26) and stayed from 10pm-3:30am and they personally brought him back to the room. He enjoyed that very much.

As for my S-S card. While I swam I just left it on my chair with my shoes and towel and drink. Never had a problem.

Just kick back and enjoy.

THANKS FOR THE INFO....I WILL BE TAKING THE TWO WAY RADIOS AFTER ALL THE INFO THAT I HAVE READ AND KEEPING CELL PHONES FOR JUST EMERGENCY!

I AM GOING TO CHECK OUT THE SITE FOR THE WATERPROOF HOLDER FOR S&S CARD.....

JUST LIKE TO KNOW WHAT GOING GO,,,,NEXT SUMMER I'LL HAVE THIS DOWN PAT AND NOT STRESS OVER BEING ORGANIZED..

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR THE INFO

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND....

so do you let them check themselves in and out? i just don't know how i feel about that. it's mostly because this is our first trip and i worry so much about stranger danger....i think i will test the waters when we get there and follow my gut!

Hello,

I am also a mom to twin boys. My are 14 now and we started cruising when they were 10. My boys LOVED Camp Carnival. The first cruise we took, we chose late seating for dinner, and it interfered with camp carnival so we learned our lesson. Whatever you decide, go to the first Camp Carnival meeting the first night. That way they will meet other kids their age.

As far as letting them sign themselves out, most kids their age do this. It sounds like your boys are like mine and are responsible. If our boys decided to do something different than their original plans, we had them call the cabin and leave a message as to where they were going. We, too did the same so we always knew where each of us were at all times. I hope that makes sense.

Once you get one cruise under your belt, you will feel better about the whole thing.

By the way, do you have any other kids or just the twins?

We just got off Fantasy yesterday. My 11 y-o son really didn't want to go to Camp Carnival much. He mostly swam at the pool and went to the Arcade. One night he did go to the late-night one (cost $26) and stayed from 10pm-3:30am and they personally brought him back to the room. He enjoyed that very much.

As for my S-S card. While I swam I just left it on my chair with my shoes and towel and drink. Never had a problem.

Just kick back and enjoy.

Please write a review when you get a chance. I will be going in a couple weeks.

How did the ship look? The most important thing to me is the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. What was your overall feeling about this ship and cruise?? Thanks

Please write a review when you get a chance. I will be going in a couple weeks.

How did the ship look? The most important thing to me is the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. What was your overall feeling about this ship and cruise?? Thanks

I just saw your review. Thanks.

so do you let them check themselves in and out? i just don't know how i feel about that.

My son was 9 when I took him on his first cruise last year. I was not going to let him sign himself out, but found out that he would not be able to participate in the group scavenger hunts if I did that, (he would have to stay in the camp carnival room) and he loves scavenger hunts. I signed the paperwork to allow him to sign himself out, but told him he was NOT to do so. He didn't want to anyway, and we did not have a problem. He had a great time, and I always felt he was safe and secure.

Our boys have been doing Camp Carnival since 1998 - 16 cruises later, they have always had a good time. I never let them check themselves out in the 9-11 age group. As they have gotten older, they would pick and choose which events to attend. The oldest has now outgrown CC and the youngest still goes to Club 02 and loves it.

Just one heads up, the kids can use their Sail and Sign card to get arcade tokens from a machine in the arcade up to $5 a day. So if you don't want them doing that, best to "have that understanding"!

As far as being safe, I have always felt they received excellent care. But do remember that these ships are the size of a small town and while the crew gets "screened" ... the passengers do not. 2 way radios are a good idea, as long as you explain to the kids that they are not to be used to loudly and with respect to those around them.

Have a great cruise!

Our boys have been doing Camp Carnival since 1998 - 16 cruises later, they have always had a good time. I never let them check themselves out in the 9-11 age group. As they have gotten older, they would pick and choose which events to attend. The oldest has now outgrown CC and the youngest still goes to Club 02 and loves it.

Just one heads up, the kids can use their Sail and Sign card to get arcade tokens from a machine in the arcade up to $5 a day. So if you don't want them doing that, best to "have that understanding"!

As far as being safe, I have always felt they received excellent care. But do remember that these ships are the size of a small town and while the crew gets "screened" ... the passengers do not. 2 way radios are a good idea, as long as you explain to the kids that they are not to be used to loudly and with respect to those around them.

Have a great cruise!

DH wants to know if LHP stands for left handed pitcher?? Yes, baseball junkies around here.

I agree about the safety. Two way radio's are going and they can leave camp only for group events that we approve. Yes, they are responsible and mature but you just NEVER KNOW!! Even at 12 they are still just kids. Thanks for you input....

Have a great cruise!

glad to know about the $5 limit on arcade tokens..I was not going to give the signing privilidges but now I will, they will follow the rules that I set....GREAT KIDS!!! We are very lucky. I want them to have just as much fun as DH and I are going to have, but also do somethings they want to do. SAFETY & RESPECT FOR OTHERS FIRST!

we are sooo excited about this trip!!!

My son was 9 when I took him on his first cruise last year. I was not going to let him sign himself out, but found out that he would not be able to participate in the group scavenger hunts if I did that, (he would have to stay in the camp carnival room) and he loves scavenger hunts. I signed the paperwork to allow him to sign himself out, but told him he was NOT to do so. He didn't want to anyway, and we did not have a problem. He had a great time, and I always felt he was safe and secure.

we are going to do the same, now that i have heard what you wrote...good info...thank you!

Hello,

I am also a mom to twin boys. My are 14 now and we started cruising when they were 10. My boys LOVED Camp Carnival. The first cruise we took, we chose late seating for dinner, and it interfered with camp carnival so we learned our lesson. Whatever you decide, go to the first Camp Carnival meeting the first night. That way they will meet other kids their age.

As far as letting them sign themselves out, most kids their age do this. It sounds like your boys are like mine and are responsible. If our boys decided to do something different than their original plans, we had them call the cabin and leave a message as to where they were going. We, too did the same so we always knew where each of us were at all times. I hope that makes sense.

Once you get one cruise under your belt, you will feel better about the whole thing.

By the way, do you have any other kids or just the twins?

thanks for the info...i have found so much help on this site. the twins are our only two legged kids...i just was not built to carry babies,,,had so much trouble and bless their hearts they were born at 31 wks..blessed that they are 100% healty. after that ordeal we stuck to have four legged girls...two shelties...sometimes we joke that they are easier than the boys..they need a taxi driver, don't eat us out of house and home, etc...would not trade my boys for anything but they sure do keep us going. academic and sports...no stopping around here!!! they play football, baseball, golf, basketball, soccer....it's always something but they do all this and manage to keep all"A's" and all "A'S" and one "B" with three honors classes this school year.

tell me more about your twins....

thank you....

Archived