Rocky Mountaineer

I am booked to travel on this next month on Red Leaf Class and am trying to justify the upgrade to Gold Leaf. Has anyone been Gold Leaf, Is it worth the extra ?

One thing that might swing the argument is free drinks - does Gold Leaf have a open free bar or do you have to pay extra for alcoholic drinks ?

I am booked to travel on this next month on Red Leaf Class and am trying to justify the upgrade to Gold Leaf. Has anyone been Gold Leaf, Is it worth the extra ?

One thing that might swing the argument is free drinks - does Gold Leaf have a open free bar or do you have to pay extra for alcoholic drinks ?

We did this last year and it was awesome. We have our own train car and they literally rolled out the red carpet. We had full breakfasts downstairs in the dining portion of the car. It was a hot breakfasts with choices from the menu. While 1/2 of the train car was eating breakfast the other 1/2 had coffee and muffins then the first group came back up and the second group went down. Same thing at lunch. First group went to lunch second group had wine and cheese. Later the same afternoon they came around taking orders for free alcoholic drinks. The afternoon ended with fresh hot cookies. Same thing the next day but the first group that went to breakfast the first day became the second group the second day. We also had very comfortable lounging/over stuffed type seats. Two on each side with large windows going across the roof. It was really first class. We were told the red leaf group got cold food delivered to their seats. The people in the gold leaf just couldn't do enough for you. It was really nice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi: We are currently booked for Red Leaf and called our TA twice to find out approximately the precentage of increase to upgrade to Gold Leaf. All I can get from the return phone call is that Celebrity was giving TA different numbers to call and she couldn't get a clear answer to my question ! ?

We are going from Calgary to Vancouver and DH would prefer the dome car and I am assuming Gold Leaf would include that as well? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hi: We are currently booked for Red Leaf and called our TA twice to find out approximately the percentage of increase to upgrade to Gold Leaf. All I can get from the return phone call is that Celebrity was giving TA different numbers to call and she couldn't get a clear answer to my question ! ?

We are going from Calgary to Vancouver and DH would prefer the dome car and I am assuming Gold Leaf would include that as well? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

While the dome car costs a bit more, I think it is well worth it.

All alcoholic beverages are free, you eat in the lower dining area and the food is 5-star. Imagine eggs Benedict with caviar for breakfast, fillet of bison for lunch, etc, etc.

And, there is a platform at the lower rear of each dome car where you can stand and get up close and personal with the scenery (stay away when going through long tunnels, though).

Well worth the extra fees for the Gold Class Service. You'll probably only do this one in your life. Might as well do it right.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Mr FSS - superb pictures. Brilliant job. Really whets my appetite for the

train.

Have a couple of questtions maybe you or someone else can answer please

how fast does the train travel? Is it slow enough to really see & take in the scenery?

In gold leaf - is the glass of the dome tinted? I want to see things but also dont want to cook from the sun & be squinting the whole time if you know what i mean

what time of year did you travel? We are kind of planning end Aug/Sept - is that an ok time?

sorry for all the questions but this could be THE trip to combine with an alsaka cruise for my 'zero' birthday

Mr FSS - superb pictures. Brilliant job. Really how fast does the train travel? Is it slow enough to really see & take in the scenery?

There are places where it perks right along. I have ridden Amtrak a lot and also Via across Canada. The Mountaineer doesn't reach those speeds. At times when it is making a grade climb in the mountains it is very slow. I stood a lot of the time out on the little (holds 20 people easily) outside platform and never feared for my safety because of speed.

Then much of the scenery is far enough off that even at speed, it is easily photographed. Set your shutter speed to at least 200-250 and you will eliminate any chance of blur.

In gold leaf - is the glass of the dome tinted? I want to see things but also don't want to cook from the sun & be squinting the whole time if you know what i mean

The glass is tinted, so much so it is difficult to take many pictures from there. Also, you can easily get glare unless you have the right angle. That's why I spent as much time as I did on the observation platform. I was in the dome, too, but I loved it on the platform.

I am one of those that gets warm very easily. They keep the air on and I was always comfortable and the sun didn't bother me at all. The tint really filters it out.

what time of year did you travel? We are kind of planning end Aug/Sept - is that an OK time?
We took the trip in May the year we went. It was cool, but a light jacket was sufficient. I have been in the area in August and it can get rather warm. That far north, too, the sun is almost directly overhead. You would probably have more sunshine at that time, but perhaps less snow and fast running water as the spring melt would be over.

Hope this helps.

thanks so much for your quick replies. Yes a great help - we have just started to investigate this idea so lots of research to do. We usually go away in Sept which is easier for me workwise but I see the alaska cruise season is just coming to an end then. so may have to reconcisder.

DH likes the sun but I guess he will not be able to sunbathe asmuch as he usually wants. Me? As long as it doesnt rain everyday I'm happy.

I want to see spectacular scenery & mother nature in her full glory.

jo

thanks so much for your quick replies. Yes a great help - we have just started to investigate this idea so lots of research to do. We usually go away in Sept which is easier for me workwise but I see the Alaska cruise season is just coming to an end then. so may have to reconsider.

DH likes the sun but I guess he will not be able to sunbathe as much as he usually wants. Me? As long as it doesn't rain everyday I'm happy.

I want to see spectacular scenery & mother nature in her full glory.

jo

For the Alaska Cruise part of it, seriously consider HAL or Princess and do the land part, too. They have their own railcars - similar to the Rocky Mountaineer cars, and to really see Alaska you need to go inland. We did three weeks in '96 - two weeks on land and one week on the ship. We used HAL and even went into Yukon Territory. Three days in Dawson - fantastic place. Early Sept isn't bad, yet. Some of the Alaska coastal cities where the ship docks for a day have rain almost 365.

Thanks for the info. We are looking at Princess. They seem really good itineraries but I suspect we will not have time to do a land tour in Alaska as well as the Rockies. A bit confusing all the different routings, difficult to know which are the best ones.

Just have to go back another time ;)

jo

We had a great time on the Gold Leaf. You aren't paying for the drinks. You are paying for the car and the dining room service. We loved it. Good to hear the great reviews of the Red Leaf Service.

Had a look at the train's website & it gives more info. HAd a chat with DH & he's converted so we plan to take the gold leaf service.

jo

You won't be sorry. It is first class all the way. The seats are so comfortable. Sometimes it was hard to stay awake to see all the beautiful scenery due to being so comfortable.

Archived