cliff walk in newport

Springdale

There are stairs on the cliff walk...most of it is not wheelchair friendly. The part from Memorial Blvd to the 40 steps is ok for wheelchairs. Soon after that there are stairs up and down. I am not really sure about too much farther after that. I usually get on it by the beach on Memorial Blvd. I remember once walking the whole thing and it is def not accessable towards the far end...we were clambering over rocks.

The view is beautiful though even if you only do that first part. You will see the whole beach area and Easton's Pond and out to sea. Very nice. I really like going out there in the fall with all the colors.

Thanks Susan. Do you know if we can get onto the grounds of the Breakers from the Walk? And approximately how far it is from 40 steps to the Breakers?

We plan to take the trolley to Breakers stop, and then walk to 40 steps. Some of the group will then walk from there back to the Breakers to catch the trolley over to Marble House, while others will walk to the Marble House. I just wanted to make sure that the distance between Breakers and 40 steps wasn't too much for our mother. Are there places to sit along the walk?

Thanks again. I'm looking forward to seeing Newport.

…. Can we get onto the grounds of the Breakers from the Walk?…

There is a fence separating CW from the Breakers. You will have to enter the grounds from the front gate on Ochre Point Ave.

The distance from the 40 Steps to the Breakers is apporx .5 to .6 miles.

If you have not already found it, here is the CW site which includes maps of the walk:

http://www.cliffwalk.com/index.htm

IIRC there are some benches along CW.

Here are the local bus schedules:

RIPTA schedule outbound from Newport GC to Breakers & Marble House (bus #67; color code yellow).

http://www.ripta.com/schedules/view.php?route=67&direction=2

In bound, from Breakers & Marble House to Newport GC

http://www.ripta.com/schedules/view.php?route=67&direction=1

Buses are exact fare; fares are listed here: http://www.ripta.com/schedules/fares.php

I’ve done the entire length of CW twice.:D

SBtS

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women

-- Cpt Quint of The Orca, Amity, USA

What exactly are the 40 steps??? Is this something I should try and see, or is it just 40 steps in the Cliff Walk?? Is it best to see the mansions on the ships organized tour or on my own??? I'm just a bit concerned about the wait to get into the mansion (specifically the Breakers).

Here is the description of the 40 Steps: http://www.cliffwalk.com/sect2.htm

IMHO, I think it is worth seeing and since they are about ½ mile from the breakers plus it is an easy walk, I would go.

If you go on the ship’s tour of the Breakers, the tour group will get priority over walk up visitors. So if you take the tour yourself, the only way to beat the tours would be to tender in early which would be a challenge in itself. Once ashore you will have to take a RIPTA #67 (color code yellow) bus and get to the Breakers and touring before any tour buses arrive. The Tour buses don’t usually go directly to the Breakers which should benefit you.

The later in the year your cruise is, the shorter the wait should be (less walk up visitors). I’ve visited the Breakers 3 times plus the Christmas tour and have come away from each tour with a greater appreciation of the Breakers. What I’ve learned is one tour is not enough.

SBtS

I like Astors Beechwood and Belcourt Castle better than Breakers. Breakers is just too much to take in. Astors Beechwood is done in costume by actors and you are visitors to the mansion. Belcourt Castle has many artifacts from all over the world. The chandelier is a twin to one in the Kremlin. Belcourt also does candlelight tours and ghost tours. I have also done Chateaux sur mer during the Christmas holidays. That was very nice. Breakers is just sooo huge and soooo opulent it is hard to take it all in. The Elms and Marble House I haven't seen yet. One day I will get out to Doris Dukes' home - Rough Point. (When I get there, I tend to go to Brenton Point and that is as far as I get!!)

• 2 months later...

They may be big and alot to take in but they are amazing.You get such facts as; in 1890 whatever 6 million dollars was spent just on the marble that decorates Marble House (what is that in todays dollars) or that at one time the the ex wife used it as simply a storage space.One of the Breakers bathrooms has a marble tub carved from a single piece that has 4 solid silver faucets to allow for hot and cold fresh AND sea water.HAVE FUN whatever you choose it is a great place to visit!

Archived