Glory Western - what to do?

Reva_Dearchi

Greetings!

DH, DD (9 yrs. old), mom (80 yrs.old), friend (62 yrs. old) and myself are all doing the Glory 8/28 and are wondering what we are going to all do in port. We typically stick together and don't do ship tours but this itinerary seems to be one in which my mom and her friend might have to take the ship tours as I'm not sure they'll want to hang out at the beaches all week. Can anyone offer any advice? Here's what I think so far.

Costa Maya - Majahaul seems to be a nice place that we all might enjoy although my Mom and her friend would probably prefer to see some ruins.

Cozumel - Mr. Santos Beach for DH, DD, and myself (been there before) but what can mom do other than the beach?

Belize - tough one as my DD won't be able to hang in the Cave Tube experience as she wouldn't like the dark or the adventure. Giver her a pool anyday. My mom wouldn't be comfortable with this tour either so I think we'll have to separate in this port again? And that's ok because I just want to make sure everyone has a good time.

Progresso - walk around the town to experience true Mexican culture - not sure about this one. doesn't sound like much fun!

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Costa Maya ... the port itself is perfect for hanging out while ship is docked ... there are bands and folk dancing, a large pool with swim up bar, and just "stuff" in general ... note: prices for souvenirs were expensive here - Progresso and Cozumel much more reasonable ... Belize is not the place to just walk about past the port area so that might have to be a day on the boat (prices of spa and manicures are much less on port days! so have their nails done) ... Progresso was my favorite port - stole my heart away - folk dancing, bands right at the market square where the free shuttle from the boat will drop you off and there is a $2 double decker bus tour you can board right at the square that will run about 30 minutes, then a walk about will keep you busy and you'll see alot of culture with chickens in their cages ready to purchase for tonights dinner - yummy! - prices so low in the shoppes you don't need to barter - how much less than a fifty cent pen!! - stay away from hair braiding unless you have your own comb/brush - it's a community comb I noticed - yech! ... heard the ruins in Merida are great yet they don't give you shopping time and the shoppes in Merida would be fun to make purchases at as well ... Cozumel also has a great port area with Pancho's Backyard for snacking and shopping very reasonably - their website has free margarita coupons! ... taxi into the city is $6 and Paradise Beach is the place to go with a $12 admission and a rock climbing wall right in the water I was told ... TYG ... have a great time ... we did Western Glory July 31 and loved every minute!!

We were in Cozumel and Progreso the middle of July. In Cozumel I highly recommend Paradise beach, we have been to Mr. Sanchos, but will go back to Paradise beach. Has free loungechairs, umbrella, floats, kayaks, water tramboline and rock thing. Also snorkel equipment available. Try the mango marqurita(?), Its super. In Progreso you can take a bus to town its free and book a tour at the flea market alot cheaper. One is for the ruins and our tablemates did it and said it was fantastic, we plan on doing it next time. Have fun

Hi,

We were on the Glory 7/31 as well. I can highly recomend the Pier at Costa Maya, just get out there early and it's a nice beach day. Hubby and sons did the Cave Tubing, I can't handle the dark, so I just stayed on the ship, and totally enjoyed myself. In Cozumel we did the Catamaran Snorkel, Sail and Beach party. It was great. It was also a great deal. I think it was $55.00 per person. It is only a 31/2 hour trip, so we were able to get back to the ship and still get into town for shopping and lunch at Carlos & Charlies. The town of Progresso didn't do a lot for me, but you could get some good deals at the little shops right off the ship. Have a great trip!

I agree with the other poster about Costa Maya being a good day to hang right there at the pier. We did the jungle beach break back in May. We wished we would have saved the extra money and just stayed in town. Lots of shops to shop in and a huge pool with swim up bar. Looked like alot of fun. The whole area is new and was very clean.

In Belize we did the Geoff Caye snorkle excursion. Was our favorite day!!

They took us to a tiny island one acre in size. It is a beautiful island and the water is so pretty it does not look real. The snorkling was fantastic, saw lots of fish, coral, and a huge eagle ray. There was a small BBQ cooking it was 2.00 for a shish kaboab.

One of our daughters did the shark and stingray tour she loved it, and got to pet a shark.

Some other family members did the cave tubing and enjoyed that. One word of caution though... My sister and her hubby lost their drivers licence and sign and sail card while tubing. Be sure to put your valuables in a safe place well secured. They had a heck of a time getting back on the ship with out their sign and sail card.

In Cozumel we went to Chankanaub Park. Excellant snorkling here. There is also a path through a tropical garden with some Mayan stuff that is interesting. They also have the dolphin experience for additional $$. It is 12.00 pp to enter the park. I can't remember how much the taxi was but it is not far and wasn't very much.

In Progresso several went to Chitzinitza Mayan ruins(not sure how to spell). Everyone that went was glad they did. The one who got off the boat and just went in town wished they had stayed on the ship. Said it was very dirty.

We loved our cruise on the Glory, we have sailed her two times now. Our daughter will be getting married on the Glory next May, that's how much we all liked this ship. Hope you have a GREAT cruise!!!

Archived