Transportation between mendenhall visitor center and West trail?

tola

Hi,

I'm new to this board.

My family will go to Juneau at last week of June and going to take MGT($7?) bus to mendenhall visitor center. How can I go to entry of West trail from(and back to) visitor center? Is it wasy to grab a cab?

This is something that should be so simple, but it's unfortunately not. I'd love to see some sort of shuttle that took folks around to the various trailheads, but no such luck.

This trail is definitely worth it, although there is a steep grade--elevation gain: 1300 feet--and some crazy places where the trail is rock and you're hanging onto a handrail.

Your options: Take the MTG bus to the glacier, then a cab from there. There's usually cabs parked right there, but they're looking for the big touring fare. Don't know if they'd take you. If you have a cellphone, try Evergreen cab (907) 586-2121. I find they have the quickest response. You'll definitely need a cell to call from the trailhead. I'd guess-o-mate that it'll cost about $10 each way, maybe a bit less.

Take a cab from the cruiseship. I'd say this would cost about $20 each way.

Take the city bus onto the Back Loop, get off at Montana Creek Road, walk, maybe two miles (?) to the trailhead. Really not a good option, since it's going to eat time alive, but it's possible. Also, hitchhiking is very safe here--if you're walking, people will just stop and offer you a ride. But since you're on a clock with the cruise ship, I'd spend the money to afford the most time hiking.

Views over the glacier are your reward, if you get a few miles up. But if it's not going to work out, the East Glacier Trail is also nice, and can be reached from the glacier's Visitor Center.

Archived