5 night cruise to St. John & Halifax

We are looking at the five night cruise to St. John and Halifax for next June. I am totally unfamiliar with the area. Are these ports that you can easily drive to from the U.S.? Are they worth going on a cruise with or just as easy driving? We are from Illinois so I am not sure what would be the best. How is the weather up there in June? Too cold or what? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

If driving is an option, I would do that if you have the time.

Saint John is 1 hour from the Maine, USA border.

My suggestion would be:

Saint John and the Bay of Fundy

Confederation Bridge (9 miles) to Prince Edward Island

The Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island

Halifax

+ so many others

The official tourism sights of the Maritime Provinces are :

www.novascotia.com

www.tourismnewbrunswick.ca

www.gentleisland.com

In June the days are pleasant and warm, however temps dip down at night. Some days may be cooler along the coast.

A cruise is nice but the Maritimes are a great place to discover, not just for a day.

Do you think it would be warm enough to swim or lay out on a cruise ship coming from NYC in the middle of June? We have two at sea days.

Even when it is in the eighties on land, it is quite cool at sea in this part of the world. The ship may use the cover that slides over the pool area. Speaking from experience during my years of sailing in these waters, it would be a rare day that we weren't bundled up sailing offshore, although it would be very hot on land. Today in Saint John it is very sunny and in the high seventies but last week we suffered through days in the fifties. It is very hard to predict what you will experience so it is best to come prepared for both. When you leave the ship, have your clothing layered so you can take off the warmer pieces as the day warms up.

We are booked for a 5 night cruise too. Ours doesn't stop in St John though (just Portland, Bar Harbor, & Halifax)

We just got back from Niagara Falls Canada on Wednesday. We were glad we had hired a town car from the Buffalo airport to take us into Canada. We would have been so lost. To me, all those lanes at the border were intimidating. (We were at the Peace Bridge I think).

Maybe you could do both. Do the cruise and check out both places and then plan a longer trip out there. Maybe even add on more sites to see. I've heard that Prince Edward Island and Lunenburg are both neat. Maybe another poster can elaborate on those places as well.

We cruised and had a stop at Victoria BC once. We fell in love with that town. We are hoping to go back and spend some more time there.

Have fun whichever you decide to do.

We were in Alaska last year on the June 9th sailing and had warm weather. I wore shorts and sometimes a jacket. Now some of the kids swam in the pool outside but that was a little cool for me. I just sat out by the pool. Maybe it would be the same idea. Sometimes cool, sometimes warm.

• 3 weeks later...
We are looking at the five night cruise to St. John and Halifax for next June. I am totally unfamiliar with the area. Are these ports that you can easily drive to from the U.S.? Are they worth going on a cruise with or just as easy driving? We are from Illinois so I am not sure what would be the best. How is the weather up there in June? Too cold or what? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I was on the Carnival Victory June 16-21 and it was too cold and foggy on the days at sea to swim or lay out. There were a few kids swimming in the pools on the days in port but they looked pretty cold to me. On our days in port the weather was beautiful but I think we were very lucky. We had a wonderful cruise, but if you are wanting some time in the sun, I would try a different itenerary.

Do you think it would be warm enough to swim or lay out on a cruise ship coming from NYC in the middle of June? We have two at sea days.

We were on RCCL two years ago in July out of NY. The ports were Boston, Bar Harbor, and Halifax. Shipboard was generally windy, very foggy and chilly. I tried walking the deck early a few morning and got wind burn, had a hard time standing up, and almost lost my way in the fog! Some people were brave enough to be out in swim suits on deck in the middle of the day, but most of them were huddled in the hot tub!!! The fog comes in suddenly, if very thick, and the ship's fog horn is blowing constantly.

On shore, it could be very cool or pretty warm. I found that windsuits worked well for the shore excursions, unless you are doing something that requires dressier attire.

It was a lovely trip, and we are going again on a longer cruise with more ports this September on NCL. There is much to see and do in Halifax!

Archived