Stroller

Clicker

We are taking our first cruise in less than 3 weeks and trying to figure out what we need but I have a question...

Our 3 year old is occassionally uses her stroller when we are out and it is very convient when you are carrying a lot of stuff. Should I bring the stroller with us on the cruise or leave it behind and carry her if she gets tired?

Traveling on RCCL-Enchantment

When we sailed on NCL Dawn 2 years ago our DD was about 2 1/2 years old and still occassionally used a stroller. But, the one we had was very large and bulky. So, we bought a portable stroller (or sometimes called an umbrella stroller) from Wal Mart for about $20. Very well worth the purchase!!! We used it on all excursions and to/from the train station. And, it folds up very easily when not in use. It had curved handle bars so it was easy to carry on my arm embarking and disembarking the ship. And, while "tooling" around, when she wasn't in it, we placed all our purchases in it. I would highly recommend buying one!

Our daughter tends to be really comfortable in her stroller. We have never cruised with her (we are in in July) and definitely plan on taking it.

Our Daughter does not sleep well in different new locations; so when we took a long weekend trip to Disney in December, we could not get her to sleep. At about 11, she climbed into her stroller and passed out. In fact she spent three nights in her stroller. We are taking it for that reason alone.

I do agree getting a smaller lightweight stroller. Ours was a little more than $20 (I think it was 75), but it does have a shoulder strap so it is really easy to carry through the airport, on and off the boat etc. and a sun shade to keep the sun off of her.

you should check and see if they rent strollers there that way you dont have to lug yours on and off the ship. I just got off the carnival victory and they rented strollers for the week for $25

Definitely take the stroller... and yes, take a lightweight/compact one. You will want something narrow so it doesn't take up the whole hallway and leaves room for others to pass by you, and something that folds compact, and is also lightweight for when you are carrying it on and off the ship, etc.

I still use one for my 5 year old when we visit Disney parks, and I took one on our cruise last year when he was 4.5 (I didn't take it on the last cruise though, and we didn't need it at all). My travel stroller is a Combi Ultra Savvy, it's old but it is in great shape and has been a lifesaver for travel for me and my son. It has everything a large stroller has, but folds as small as an umbrella stroller, is lightweight with a carry strap, and it's comfortable for tall people.

We got a stroller for my almost four year old. I think we are definitely going to need it. We ended up with a MacLaren Volo... both Hubby and I love it! It's light (about 8lbs) and has a strap so you can carry it around if you aren't using it.

Cheers!

We got a stroller for my almost four year old. I think we are definitely going to need it. We ended up with a MacLaren Volo... both Hubby and I love it! It's light (about 8lbs) and has a strap so you can carry it around if you aren't using it.

Cheers!

That is exactly the stroller I am thinking about getting for our cruise...it looks great and it's on sale at Target right now. Thanks for the recommendation.

• 3 weeks later...

We love our Mac. Volo! The only problem is they keep coming out with such cool new colors and I want a new one!

We'll definitely take ours. John will be 3.5. When we went when he was 8 months and Emma was 4, she was in it more than he was. The heat and crowds in port make it so much easier to have them in a stroller. (John mostly stayed in the sling and nursed!)

you should check and see if they rent strollers there that way you dont have to lug yours on and off the ship. I just got off the carnival victory and they rented strollers for the week for $25

Lug shmug....load that sucker up with your carryons and have your little one push it around while you wait to board. Keeps your hands free and will sufficiently entertain and tire out the tot too!!!

Lug shmug....load that sucker up with your carryons and have your little one push it around while you wait to board. Keeps your hands free and will sufficiently entertain and tire out the tot too!!!

TOTALLY agree! My youngest is nearly 3. I'm starting to worry about what I'll do when he no longer rides in a stroller. Where will I put my crap?

We weren't planning on taking our stroller on our August cruise, but we just walked NJ boardwalk without it and it was torture. DH & I had to take turns carrying DS 2, eventhought he DID walk a lot of the way. Now we are definitely taking it.:eek:

We have 2 jeep umbrella strollers from Toys R Us ($29.99). We leave one at my inlaws house. I would not travel without it. My daughter is 3 and there is NO way I would go into a port without her stroller. Some ports you actually have vendors grab at the kids...so keeping them locked and secure in a stroller is the best way to go.

Some ports you actually have vendors grab at the kids...so keeping them locked and secure in a stroller is the best way to go.

Seriously?!!? WHICH PORTS? I've experienced my share of grabby people (land based vacations; I've actually not had too much problem at cruise ports) and really don't want DS to have that happen to him. Plus, I'd have to go all thermonuclear on someone who dares to grab my precious child (kindly old-or young- ladies who like to pinch his adorable cheeks are okay). I'm very protective. Better to be forewarned.

Seriously?!!? WHICH PORTS? I've experienced my share of grabby people (land based vacations; I've actually not had too much problem at cruise ports) and really don't want DS to have that happen to him. Plus, I'd have to go all thermonuclear on someone who dares to grab my precious child (kindly old-or young- ladies who like to pinch his adorable cheeks are okay). I'm very protective. Better to be forewarned.

Oh you've been lucky then. I swear I've seen my share of grabby people...

--Nassau, 2002 we were heading back to the ship cause my oldest (who was TWO at the time) was having a sort of heat stroke. She was in the stroller...sheet white, not looking very good so we were trying to hurry back quickly to get her into the shade. A woman starts running along her stroller grabbing her hair saying "Can I braid her hair?" I said "No thanks" and she jumps in front of the stroller and hunches down and says "Honey do you want your hair braided?" I said "PLEASE let the baby alone, she is sick and we are trying to get back to the ship."

--St.Martin, 2005 I stopped at some shade on Orient Beach. It was an outdoor pavillion. This guy comes over to me and starts yelling at me in French to move the stroller cause we were "on resort property"...he GRABBED the stroller away from me and started wheeling it down the beach (my 8 month old was in the stroller at the time) I screamed at him to stop. He plopped the stroller (and baby) under a beach umbrella and stormed away. :eek:

--Cozumel, 2007 The 3 year old was in a stroller. The 7 year old was walking next to us. We were at the shops right off the ship. Venders kept grabbing my 7 year old's arm and trying to lead her into their booth to see their products.

--Mo Bay Jamaica, 2007 - THE WORST. I would never step foot off the ship again if it lands in Mo Bay. We stepped off to get some sunblock (we ran out) and the locals were screaming at us through the window slats as we walked through the port's marketplace. The locals were not allowed in THAT marketplace so they stood outside and yelled at us.

Archived