Learning to snorkel BEFORE cruising....

hockeymom97

On our last cruise my DS (9 yr old at the time) was too scared to really make an attempt at snorkeling - and I understand that - it takes a little bit of practice and patience to really get the hang of breathing. So this time around I'm looking to find somewhere for him to learn how to snorkel before we take our cruise.

Does anyone have recommendations on where I might be able to find snorkel lessons in my area (NW suburb of Chicago)? I've tried searching on google and haven't found anything yet but I'm going to keep searching. I figured my YMCA might have something but they don't. I'm trying to find a dive shop maybe? but so far I haven't found anything in the area. Any advice would be appreciated.

We started our daughter, also around 8 years old, on a boogy board. She with a mask and the parents pulling the board. Once she saw how amazing the underwater world was, we taught her to breath with the snorkel while on the board, and the parents still right by her. Once she became comfortable with it, we graduated her to a life vest. She's a certified diver now.

I found these two suggestions to be right on the money, so I pasted them in below. Yes by all means, call dive shops. The important thing they can do for you is make sure a mask and snorkel FIT properly. You might want to ask if they have the kind of snorkel that does not permit water at all.

They may be able to take your son along to a local pool to practice along with dive students, or you can take him to practice on your own, which is a great idea because it will build up his confidence level so he can enjoy a great adventure the next time you go on vacation.

A float vest or life vest depending on how old he is, is also essential. He should practice with it on.

The few things that are most likely to spook any would-be snorkeler are (a) being in water over your head (b) getting water in your mask © getting water in your snorkel tube and (d) getting tired.

Pool practice (or lake in summer) give you a chance to experience that depth is not an issue, because your flotation device keeps you at the surface, and all you have to do is pull your head up and pop out your mouthpiece to breathe.

Water in your mask - a bit annoying, but you are breathing through your mouth (like Darth Vader!) so it isn't going to go up your nose as long as you keep breathing just through your mouth. Keep your head up a bit and it won't get in your eyes. Practice coming to the surface, clearing and re-sealing.

Water in the tube -- okay, tougher. It's a little scary, and it takes practice to exhale forcefully to clear the tube. Or you can just pop your head up, pop the mouthpiece out and spit. As long as you know you're not forced to swallow water and gag, it becomes a manageable possible occurence and not occasion for freaking out. It is yucky (esp. with sea water) but once it's happened to you a few times and you're dealt with it and gotten back to looking at the good stuff, it's not scary anymore.

Getting tired - pop to the surface and let your flotation device do all the work for a couple minutes. Your brain may know it will keep you afloat at some level, but experiencing it builds trust that it will.

I also second the idea of having an adult right there .... it's always reassuring when trying something new and a bit intimidating to have someone tell you ahead of time, "I'm right here watching out for you."

Hope it works out and that before long, you have a little snorkeling fiend on your hands!

May 8th, 2007, 11:02 AM

Bogelbtk Cool Cruiser

My daughter learned when she was 5. I think the hardest thing is teaching them to relax and not take shallow quick breaths in and out. I told my daughter to listen to herself breathe and try to sound like Darth Vador - slow, deep , relaxed breaths. If you've snorkeled, you know the sound I talking about. When your ears are under water, you can hear yourself breath.

BogelbtkView Public ProfileFind all posts by BogelbtkAdd Bogelbtk to Your Buddy List

Awesome advice happycat! I think I'm going to just try teaching him myself. especially the sounding like Darth Vadar - that's a perfect way to explain it to a kid (or to anyone for that matter). I found the snorkel that doesn't allow water in - I think it was Land's End that carried it and it wasn't too expensive - $29 maybe? So we'll try that and see how it goes. he'll pribably feel more comfortable with me versus a new instructor anyway :)

Archived