Don't Drink the Water?

mzznlink

If you want to be ultra cautious don't have ice in your drinks. We usually just look for the prominantly displayed sign - "we only use purified water/agua purificada" - since it is illegal in Mexico to display this unless you really do only use purified water. I have had mixed drinks and soft drinks are bars/restaurants displaying this sign and I have never suffered any ill effects.

Well, if you are that worried - you probably shouldn't eat or drink anything. They wash everything with the same water! lol

Honestly, Have never had any problems. But, my doctor suggest 15 years ago - when we first went to Mexico to take Pepto Bismol tablets everyday and you will be fiine. If you thik about it - you are putting your whole body thorugh things you don't do on a daily basis - eating extra, drinking, and everything. So, it has worked for us.

It is perfectly safe to get mixed drinks and ice in Costa Maya. The ice used for drinks is purchased from an ice/water company. The ice company uses purified water. Also, you will notice most bars have a water dispenser for large bottles of water.

You do have a greater risk from food. Even this risk is low. Most of the bars and restaurants buy supplies from places like SAMS CLUB (yeah, there is one about an hour away).

Most of the "don't drink the water" is a carryover from when third world countries lacked proper sanitation. Today, areas like Costa Maya (Mahahual) have public water(which is still not used for drinking).

Best advice - enjoy the drinks.

I havent been there, but have been doing some research to be sure.

I found that Coca-Cola went down there and helped install a filtration system and it is safe to drink within the confines of Costa Maya.

Where that border is, I have no idea.

I have heard to take Pepto everyday to help with it.

Travelers diarrhea is majority E Coli or some other bacteria. So if the place looks rough, be careful.

Don't turn a tap on and drink the water.

Drink any sort of drink you want with ice or without ice.

Costa Maya is extremely safe and is geared towards cruise ship people and what they want.

It is not good business to get people sick all the time.

The water/ice used for drinks is filtered.

Coca Cola did not come here and put some filtration system is place. If they did, they would not be pumping water through the lines, it would be Coke, maybe even Diet Coke. Less calories you know.

Archived