Where to get taxi to Orient Beach

nightryder

Our cruise, Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas, has a stop at St Martin and we wish to shop some in town and then catch a taxi to Orient Beach. Is the main shopping area in walkind distance from the cruise dock area? Then after shopping is it relatively easy to find a taxi to the beach?

Do you have any idea of the cost of taxi's also?

There is some shopping at the pier, however the majority of the shopping is in town, which you'll be able to see across the bay from the pier... It's not a long walk to the town, but we tend to just jump in a taxi... My advice would be to take to taxi from the pier to Orient Beach, hang out (get it? ;) ), then taxi back to Philibsburg. The driver can drop you off at the entrance to the main shopping area. After shopping either walk, take a taxi, or I believe there is a water taxi back to the pier.

The best plan is to cab directly from the pier to the beach then cab back to P-Burg for shopping. If you shop first then you have to leave your goodies at your chair when you go in the water, not a good idea.

After finishing shopping, just hop on the water taxi (really a small ferry) for the short ride back to the ship. You get impressive views of the harbor and the ship so have a camera ready. It is a 25-30 minute walk back from downtown to the pier and it will be at the end of a long hot day so splurge ($3 pp) for the water taxi.

The taxi dispatchers will put together a group from the pier to Orient so it will run $6 pp, one way. Lots of cabbies use vans that hold 8-10 people, the more people the lower the fare.

The best plan is to cab directly from the pier to the beach then cab back to P-Burg for shopping. If you shop first then you have to leave your goodies at your chair when you go in the water, not a good idea.

After finishing shopping, just hop on the water taxi (really a small ferry) for the short ride back to the ship. You get impressive views of the harbor and the ship so have a camera ready. It is a 25-30 minute walk back from downtown to the pier and it will be at the end of a long hot day so splurge ($3 pp) for the water taxi.

The taxi dispatchers will put together a group from the pier to Orient so it will run $6 pp, one way. Lots of cabbies use vans that hold 8-10 people, the more people the lower the fare.

OK - so this will be our first attempt to 'go it alone' without planned excursions - can someone help with the timing - we will be off the ship ASAP as we want to make the most of our day - Orient BEach and shopping - so your suggestion fits perfectly- on board will probably be at 5:30pm - so I want to be on board at 5pm

Also - Orient Beach - any water parks for older kids - DS is 14 -

thanks so much!!!

There was no problem getting a taxi at the port but coming back from the beach i had a hard time finding a taxi.

Usually, we catch a cab back from Orient at Pedros (near Club O) and at Bikini Beach Bar. These are the major drop off points and cabs will wait for fares back rather than go back empty (aside from the morning time when no one is going back)

To my knowledge, Orient Beach is a beach, no water parks. Kids shoud have no problems but parents should stay with them. (edit - your son is 14, no problems for him, he will like the scenery )

Le Gallion Beach, close by, has the gentler water but nowhere the activities or "scenery" of Orient.

To my knowledge, Orient Beach is a beach, no water parks. Kids shoud have no problems but parents should stay with them. (edit - your son is 14, no problems for him, he will like the scenery )

LOL - Have already had that 'discussion' with him AND DH .......

Pier to Orient, $6 pp each way. The dispatchers bundle people into groups for the van cabs; same going back, the cabbies waiting combine people. The price is higher for just 1 or 2 people.

They will drop you off downtown for shopping after the beach.

thanks Bopper, we will opt for that option rather than rent a car. That way I won't get lost and confused and frustrated. still would like a map to have for a souvioner and for learning the island for next year's cruise to St. Maarten.

thanks Bopper, we will opt for that option rather than rent a car. That way I won't get lost and confused and frustrated. still would like a map to have for a souvioner and for learning the island for next year's cruise to St. Maarten.

Here is a link to a great map of the island. It can be blown up on screen to show details.

http://www.stmartinstmaarten.com/map/psmap0198.pdf

Archived