Pre-tipping on Carnival...

volvo99

Just curious to any pre-cruise tipping strategies any fellow CCers have used?

I'm on the Spirit over Christmas out of San Diego on my honeymoon cruise on a BL guarantee, so having some extra service details set up at the right time would be nice...

Looking for as to whom to tip as well as how much early on...

Just curious to any pre-cruise tipping strategies any fellow CCers have used?

I'm on the Spirit over Christmas out of San Diego on my honeymoon cruise on a BL guarantee, so having some extra service details set up at the right time would be nice...

Looking for as to whom to tip as well as how much early on...

Here on Cruise critic there is a section called "Under The Captians Table". Written by a lady who was a CD and social hostess on cruiselines. She has been married for many years to a Captian.

Check out these two articles written by her. They might help.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=261

http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=228

I think you might like them.

The first address the advanced tipping. It has a different twist then you will think.

The second is about the holidays.

I always found that what is sain about tippig is interesting. I myself have many times given as an extra something different than more money.

This is especially well received at the holidays. A small gift that means at this time of year more than money.:)

Hope this helps.

I don't understand why anyone would pre-tip. Here's something to think about. When you go to a restaurant, do you pre-tip the wait staff? Probably not. I don't know if you've ever worked for tips, but I have, and I looked at what I got for a tip as sort of a report card. If someone gave me a partial tip before I waited on them, I think I'd wonder what the heck it was supposed to mean.:confused:

In my experience, maybe 75% of people will tip based on performance, and the rest will do the standard 10-15% tip. And of course you sometimes get those folks who are just cheap or worse, jerks. But personally, I consider myself to be a very good tipper, as long as the reason for tipping (the service) is very good. I must admit though, I do use tips (or lack thereof) as a point-maker for those who aren't doing a good job. And that's my point, for folks who are tipped as a part of their jobs, tips are a reward for a job well done, not as a carrot on a stick. :cool:

Volvo, welcome to the boards and congrats on your upcoming marriage.:)

It's definitely not necessary to tip anyone (cabin steward?) up front when you board the ship. You may be surprised, since this is your first Carnival cruise, that all your service needs will be provided, whether you 'bribe' the steward or not.

On the other hand, should you need any special service during the cruise, and if the steward goes over and beyond his duties, then it would be a nice gesture to tip him extra for that service, when it is rendered.:)

The others are correct....it is not necessary to tip extra up front.......and it is also not necessary to tip extra at the end. You are under no obligation to tip extra at all. You auto tips are fine.

Having said that we have always given our room steward extra (not part)

upon arriving because we are a little high maintenance LOL! You do what you feel is best for you, afterall it will be your experience not others.

I bet once you are onboard whatever you decide....it will come natural.

Happy cruising!!!!

Here on Cruise critic there is a section called "Under The Captians Table". Written by a lady who was a CD and social hostess on cruiselines. She has been married for many years to a Captian.

The first address the advanced tipping. It has a different twist then you will think.

I always found that what is sain about tippig is interesting. I myself have many times given as an extra something different than more money.

This is especially well received at the holidays. A small gift that means at this time of year more than money.:)

Hope this helps.

Very interesting read, thank you!

Sounds like a phone card is the ideal way to go! While I understand that social convention does not require tipping until the end, I figure that with cabin stewards and table stewards working dozens of rooms and tables, a bit of eye contact and expressing what specific needs/wants you have ahead of time, (not waiting to complain) should go a long way to making the difference between good and great service, even on a mass market line.

I don't understand why anyone would pre-tip. Here's something to think about. When you go to a restaurant, do you pre-tip the wait staff? Probably not. I don't know if you've ever worked for tips, but I have, and I looked at what I got for a tip as sort of a report card. If someone gave me a partial tip before I waited on them, I think I'd wonder what the heck it was supposed to mean.:confused:

In my experience, maybe 75% of people will tip based on performance, and the rest will do the standard 10-15% tip. And of course you sometimes get those folks who are just cheap or worse, jerks. But personally, I consider myself to be a very good tipper, as long as the reason for tipping (the service) is very good. I must admit though, I do use tips (or lack thereof) as a point-maker for those who aren't doing a good job. And that's my point, for folks who are tipped as a part of their jobs, tips are a reward for a job well done, not as a carrot on a stick. :cool:

Point taken. But to be sure, while a restaurant bad service experience is a one time only deal, (Either the management fixes it or I'm not back), if bad service persists on day 2-3 of an 8 day, then I've already felt cheated. Sure, I could go to the customer service desk, but at that point the damage is done.

I figure that at least an introduction from myself (putting names to faces), or a phone card (non-cash) at the start might at least personalize the service experience on a mass market line.

At a restaurant I don't pre tip and they don't add it automatically to the bill. This new policy in cruising naturally makes the service worse. As workers get used to standardized amounts there is less incentive to preform top notch service; that is the exact reason why service industries use tipping as a reward for great service.

I have worked many times in my life for tips. It makes no economic sense to pre set an amount. I give my servers and room steward a nice tip at the beginning and make sure they know more will follow directly from me.

Hope this helps.

Very interesting read, thank you!

Sounds like a phone card is the ideal way to go! While I understand that social convention does not require tipping until the end, I figure that with cabin stewards and table stewards working dozens of rooms and tables, a bit of eye contact and expressing what specific needs/wants you have ahead of time, (not waiting to complain) should go a long way to making the difference between good and great service, even on a mass market line.

Always treat the person that is taking care of you with respect. Yes they are there to serve us but...I always treat people in the service industry like they are helping me and assisting me....not "serving" me. I love to get them laughing. Usually after a day of beers around the pool bar helps.:D

I have crew members to this day that contact me via e-mail. I have walked on ships and been welcomed by by some I have met in the past within minutes.

remember...tips aren't everything. (they do help though) Treating people like people is what most of us want.

Hope you have a great holiday at sea.

Glad you liked the articles.

I meant no offense by using the term servers. I just think it is bad policy to have it added to your bill automatically from the start of the cruise. If Carnival wants to be sure their people are rewarded more, build it into the price of the cruise. They can't do that because some people would stop cruising on their line.

If you went to Bern's steakhouse and the policy was for a 15-20% tip to be added at the start of your dinner, it would be counter productive. Not only have I worked for tips many times, I am commission only at work currently. I wish we had a world where everyone worked for tips or off of production. This system rewards hard work and polite employees.

......... a phone card (non-cash) at the start might at least personalize the service experience on a mass market line.

Just a word about the phone cards. One steward told me that he and roommate had over 300 phone cards in their cabin that passengers had given them.:eek:

We always pre-paid our tips so we do not owe anyone when we board the ship. It is easier for us to plan our budget this way. We also take 4 Thank You cards for our room and waitier staff and we slip alittle extra if we feel they earned it.

At a restaurant I don't pre tip and they don't add it automatically to the bill.

They do add it in if you have six or more in your party, and usually at 18%...

Adding it in to the bill automatically is a tendency you will see increasing in many restaurants and other service type industries, where they can get away with it.

Thanks to all for your interesting replies...

I think I'll make it a point to make the rounds and meet the actual faces who will be working my deck and table beforehand.

I can't help but notice how on some of the up-market lines boards, tipping is almost NEVER an issue.

Is this just the domain of the mass market lines of the world? :confused:

Don’t they take it out anyway, I know that if you pay ahead of time that you can’t have it removed but you can adjust who gets what. Either way if I’m not mistaken you have to go to the pursers desk to have either done and who wants to stand in that line. I’ve always had exceptional service either way.

I usually leave my waiter(s) and my room steward extra anyway. I like to personally hand his helper)(s) his just to keep everyone honest.

So, yes I do pay ahead of time because I like to keep my account as low as possible aboard ship, you know to make room for the other stuff.:D

Don’t they take it out anyway...

RV and anyone else interested:

What has happened on this thread is that the terminology has become confused.:)

Prepaid Tipping - You pay your tips before your cruise. Therefore, no tips appear on your Sail & Sign account. These prepaid tips cannot be adjusted, because they're a 'done deal', already paid, nothing there to adjust.

Auto Tipping - These are the tips that will be the first entry on your S&S account, if you have not prepaid them. They can be adjusted ... increased or decreased. The auto tips are broken down as:

$5.50 per passenger per day to the dining room waiter & his asst.

$3.50 per passenger per day to the cabin steward, who pays his asst. if he has one.

$1.00 per passenger per day to the Lido Deck dining personnel.

Extra Tipping - This is strictly up to the passenger. If someone has gone over and beyond their duties, and you think they deserve something extra, tipping more on the last evening is appropriate, or when an extra service is rendered.

Upfront Tipping - This is, in actuality, a bribe, because some think they'll get better service from the cabin steward by doing this.;)

Upfront Tipping - This is, in actuality, a bribe, because some think they'll get better service from the cabin steward by doing this.;)

And some tip up front on top of their normal tips because they appreciate how the steward takes care of all their first day requests........(not to get better service)

Some may think it's a bribe while others know from experience the stewards truly appreciate it........

Again it's really your personal choice how you want to do it. You will know which is the best way for you and yours........

Prepaid Tipping - You pay your tips before your cruise. Therefore, no tips appear on your Sail & Sign account. These prepaid tips cannot be adjusted, because they're a 'done deal', already paid, nothing there to adjust.

Auto Tipping - These are the tips that will be the first entry on your S&S account, if you have not prepaid them. They can be adjusted ... increased or decreased. The auto tips are broken down as:

$3.50 per passenger per day to the cabin steward, who pays his asst. if he has one.

Extra Tipping - This is strictly up to the passenger. If someone has gone over and beyond their duties, and you think they deserve something extra, tipping more on the last evening is appropriate, or when an extra service is rendered.

Thnaks Cotton for clearing this up :-)

Thanks Cotton for clearing this up :-)

And some tip up front on top of their normal tips because they appreciate how the steward takes care of all their first day requests........(not to get better service)

Some may think it's a bribe while others know from experience the stewards truly appreciate it........

Again it's really your personal choice how you want to do it. You will know which is the best way for you and yours........

As much as I love your jean capris - Cotton is correct, bribe does not have to have a bad conotation, but it is what it is, if you give them money before any services are rendered, when that is not the standard way to tip - again, it is before the steward takes care of requests, so how can you appreciate how those requests were handled - and how would you know whether they would be handled the same or differently with or without the "upfront" payment?

I am all for tipping is personal, but at least call it what it is. And others know from experience that some stewards are offended by it...

bribe audio.gif

Pronunciation: 'brIb

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English, morsel given to a beggar, bribe, from Anglo-French, morsel

1 : money or favor given or promised in order to influence the judgment or conduct of a person in a position of trust

2 : something that serves to induce or influence

As much as I love your jean capris - Cotton is correct, bribe does not have to have a bad conotation, but it is what it is, if you give them money before any services are rendered, when that is not the standard way to tip - again, it is before the steward takes care of requests, so how can you appreciate how those requests were handled - and how would you know whether they would be handled the same or differently with or without the "upfront" payment?

I am all for tipping is personal, but at least call it what it is. And others know from experience that some stewards are offended by it...

bribe audio.gif

Pronunciation: 'brIb

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English, morsel given to a beggar, bribe, from Anglo-French, morsel

1 : money or favor given or promised in order to influence the judgment or conduct of a person in a position of trust

2 : something that serves to induce or influence

Ah but you see some are just assuming we pay before services.

But that's really besides the point. That's why I say it's personal.

And by god if some want to tip extra before rather then after ( and keep in mind everyones experience is completely different) then good for them.

At least they are tipping.......

Ah but you see some are just assuming we pay before services.

But that's really besides the point. That's why I say it's personal.

And by god if some want to tip extra before rather then after ( and keep in mind everyones experience is completely different) then good for them.

At least they are tipping.......

I didn't assume, I said "if", and if you want to do it - I am not going to tackle you and stop you - OK, maybe if it was LIV :p

Tipping really is personal, and some of us have strong opinions, but the key thing you are dead on - at least they are tipping. I have cruised with some that are demanding, remove the tips on the last morning, and giggle all the way to the shuttle - since I have been with those people, it really does rub me wrong...

Tipping really is personal, and some of us have strong opinions, but the key thing you are dead on - at least they are tipping. I have cruised with some that are demanding, remove the tips on the last morning, and giggle all the way to the shuttle - since I have been with those people, it really does rub me wrong...

Now that I would have a problem with too:mad:

Archived