Sea Days for Little Ones

SuperTrooper00

Ships are huge and there are plenty of empty lounges for you 18 month old to run around in during the day. In fact, find a barely used bar area during the day. Everyone is on the pool deck on sea days. This means that you and hubby can have cocktails and peanuts and your 18 month old will probably be entertained by the bored crew in these areas. Go to the disco area- it will be dead on sea days and let your child dance around or run around. There won't be anyone there to disturb.

I took my son to the empty theater and he walked up and down the steps to the stage and ran from one end to the other.

Do I recommend cruising with an 18 month old? Not really. But if you must- there is plenty to keep both of you busy.

I think you are cruising on Carnival. They normally have two hours of babysitting available during the middle of the day (for $6 / hour) or you can stay with them for free (at Camp Carnival) just during that 2 hours. Other than that, you may want to consider getting a balcony room, so then while the 18 month old is napping or watching a dvd or something you can sit outside and read.

I travel a lot for work and nothing makes me happier than to watch my infant play. I couldn't imagine spending a week of my vacation not with my child. Will she remember it, probably not; but I will.

When my kids were younger I would just play it by ear. We would go to breakfast, then maybe I would take them up to the pool deck for a little while (you can always bring an inflatable or at the very least some buckets to put some water in), then lunch, then nap time, then after nap time it's time to get ready for dinner (yes all you do is eat on a cruise ship...lol)

We walked around the decks alot. I brought some of their toys to play with while I relaxed.

On Carnival they do have some babysitting times for that age. On RCCL they have Fisher Price Aqua Tots (parent assisted playtime)

Any day on a ship being pampered by the staff...no cleaning...no cooking...no laundry is 100 times better than a day at home. ;)

Sea days flew by with my toddlers. They loved dancing on deck when the band was playing; going for walks, and you'd be amazed how much fun they can have exploring a quiet area of the ship (climbing on deck chairs, wandering around a lounge, etc.). We brought a blow up pool to play in, but we never had time to use it between the above activities and breakfast, lunch and a nap - suddenly it would be time to get dressed for dinner.

Have a great time!

Best,

Mia

My 19 month old was happy just walking up and down the stairs. Also I brought some water toys and she splashed in the ledge surrounding the pool. Its got about 1-2 inches of water and she would walk through it and stomp the water and float her little water toys, with me there too of course. There were other small infants/toddlers playing there too and since it only has 1-2 inches of water and is a good 4-5 foot wide surrounding the pool, its a perfect play area. We went to the lounges also and let her run around. She liked the balcony as well, looking at the water and boats.

Julie

Archived