Bay of Fundy: walking on the ocean's floor

I hope that this is not a super silly question but for my parents 50th anniversary we are planning a cruise for them at the end of July. They will be in St John's on the 25th or 26th. One of the Carnival excursions that we were looking into for them was a bus ride to the National Park and walk on the ocean's floor. The question I have is will the 7 hour work out with the timing of low tide? If it didn't we will ruleout this excursion.

Thanks for your help.

Karysa

I hope that this is not a super silly question but for my parents 50th anniversary we are planning a cruise for them at the end of July. They will be in St John's on the 25th or 26th. One of the Carnival excursions that we were looking into for them was a bus ride to the National Park and walk on the ocean's floor. The question I have is will the 7 hour work out with the timing of low tide? If it didn't we will ruleout this excursion.

Thanks for your help.

Karysa

Low tide is at 4:03 (25th) or 4:51(26th) in the afternoon - but should be able to walk it 2 hours before that - so around 2:00PM - I would see what time the tour comes back to the ship in Saint John - ships usually leaves around 5:00 and it's an 1.5 hour drive so I have to wonder how much time you will have. I would contact the tour operator directly if you have that info to confirm what you will be able/not able to do - as maybe they know you can walk it even earlier than 2:00.

Thanks for your help.

Karysa

I am assuming that you mean Saint John, New Brunswick and not St. John's Newfoundland. With that in mind you could get a tide table at the website www.thehopewellrocks.ca

You can try www.pc.gc.ca and then click on the national parks section and select Fundy National Park from the alphabetical list provided.

You will also find www.cruisesaintjohn.com helpful.

Thank you both for the informative replies. Have either of you done this and is it one of those can't miss adventures or do you have another suggestion?

Yes I have visited Fundy Nat'l Park and it is lovely. The Hopwell Rocks are very unique and fun to visit.

Another, closer excursion would be to visit the sea caves in St. Martins. It is only about a 45 minute drive and at low tide one can walk out to the caves. I believe they are pictured on the cruisesaintjohn web link that I gave you. St. Martins also has a couple of covered bridges within easy walking distance of the sea caves. The mud flats are quite visable by the bridges at low tide and the fishing boats sit on harbour floor, waiting to be refloated by the high tide. There are a few gift shops nearby and there is a canteen with washrooms and seating spaces on the beach by the caves. There is no charge for visiting the caves although I guess the cruise line charges a bit for taking you out there. St. Martins is very beautiful and one of my favourite Sunday afternoon places to visit.

St. Andrews is also a gorgeous place where you can walk out onto the wharf and appreciate the tidal range. It is a very artsy town with lots of lovely gift shops within walking distance. Most of them are quite nice but there are a few of the inevitable T-shirt stores. It is a lovely town for walking and there are some beautiful views of the water. There are also some seaside cafes with outdoor patio seating overlooking the harbour.

There is a nearby park with a replica of the blockhouse that was build for defense in the early years. The original burned about 15 years ago. The view from this park is breathtaking and you can walk out onto the rocks at low tide.

People in New Brunswick and Nove Scotia are very friendly and welcoming and I know your parents will enjoy themselves----especially if the weather co-operates. July is a great month here and can be quite hot!!

Thank you for your help sapper1. My parents would enjoy any of your suggestions. My sisters and I are going to have them pick what they would like to do based on the information that we gather. I have no doubt that my parents will find the people that live in these two provinces friendly. Again, thanks for your time and suggestions.

Karysa

The "canteen" in St. Martins is a 160 seat restaurant. It is a part of the Carnival tour but many people take cabs or drive out on their own. St. Martins is closer than Hopewell Cape. You can walk on the ocean floor and still see the sights like the city market. It is worth a visit.

The "canteen" in St. Martins is a 160 seat restaurant. It is a part of the Carnival tour but many people take cabs or drive out on their own. St. Martins is closer than Hopewell Cape. You can walk on the ocean floor and still see the sights like the city market. It is worth a visit.

Thanks hutt1, is this near the sea caves that were mentioned above? We have thought that St. Martins may provide them with what they are looking for nature wise and provide for a horse and buggy tour as well.

Karysa

Thanks hutt1, is this near the sea caves that were mentioned above? We have thought that St. Martins may provide them with what they are looking for nature wise and provide for a horse and buggy tour as well.

Karysa

I just reread the initial reply and yes it sounds like it is all in the same place.

Do you think that since this is quite far from the ship that we should use the CCL excursion or are there private ones who would be fine for this?

I just reread the initial reply and yes it sounds like it is all in the same place.

Do you think that since this is quite far from the ship that we should use the CCL excursion or are there private ones who would be fine for this?

You could rent a car, hire a taxi locally, or take the CCL excursion. I personally would take the CCL excursion - great way to meet new friends and being part of a group I think will enhance your experience. Plus you will benefit from an experienced guide. St. Martin's is almost an hour from the ship.

You could rent a car, hire a taxi locally, or take the CCL excursion. I personally would take the CCL excursion - great way to meet new friends and being part of a group I think will enhance your experience. Plus you will benefit from an experienced guide. St. Martin's is almost an hour from the ship.

Thanks Acey, they are not experienced travellers so they would probably feel better on a CCL excursion and your points are valid.

Thanks,

Karysa

The Caves Restaurant is right at the caves. You use the restaurant parking to get to the beach and go to the caves. The owners have a nice big parking area for cars and buses.

St. Martins is also the only place in the world where you can photograph two covered bridges at the same time. You can get a picture of the lighthouse in the harbour as well.

The bus trip takes an hour because it takes the scenic route along the shore, route 825. If you want a faster trip stay on the main road, route 111. You will fid the village 20 - 25 minutes past the airport (depending on how comfortable you are with country roads!).

Point well taken---It was a poor choice of words. I should have referred to it as a rustic restaurant. I am not putting it down as I quite enjoy it and the food is good.

Point well taken-----It was a poor choice of words. I should have referred to it as a rustic restaurant. I am not putting it down as I quite enjoy it and the food is good.

Archived