Vanilla Anyone ??

mumsiesof2

I know that someone out there has the answer to my questions--First of all how far is Chedraui from the dock (Princess Lines),can you walk there ?

And is it cheaper to buy vanilla there or someplace else ?

Thanks !!!

I know that someone out there has the answer to my questions--First of all how far is Chedraui from the dock (Princess Lines)

If Princess is docking at the International pier, it is about 2 miles to Chedraui.
can you walk there ?
I could, but I probably wouldn't want to do it if it was sunny, hot, and humid. I don't know if you could, you will have to decide that.

And is it cheaper to buy vanilla there
Possibly, maybe one of the locals will point it out.

or someplace else ?
Well, Chedraui doesn't always have natural vanilla. Sometimes all they have is the artificial stuff and you don't really want that. I do know that Los Cinco Soles has good, natural vanilla all the time. It isn't the cheapest there, but you don't have to bargain and they take credit cards without any added fee. They also have lots of other stuff that might interest you, so it is worth a look there if Chedraui doesn't have what you are looking for.

More Vanilla threads:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=180030&highlight=vanilla

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=530118&highlight=vanilla

Keep in mind that these prices are from 2005 at Los Cinco Soles:

vanilla.jpg

In Cozumel on our 1st cruise we asked a taxi driver for the best place to buy vanilla and he showed us a grocery store for the locals about 2 blocks up from the strip. We bought a case of vanilla and they cost us $1.10 each. They were each a full liter. We walked up to the store, bought the case, found a taxi right outside the store and drove back to the ship. No problems. Best vanilla ever.

I bought some on our last cruise at Los Cinco Soles, Bruce helped with the same picture when I was trying to figure out how much I wanted to buy. Turns out, I didn't buy enough and I am about out and we are not going back until next year. This is the best vanilla I have tasted or smelled ever.

In Cozumel on our 1st cruise we asked a taxi driver for the best place to buy vanilla and he showed us a grocery store for the locals about 2 blocks up from the strip. We bought a case of vanilla and they cost us $1.10 each. They were each a full liter. We walked up to the store, bought the case, found a taxi right outside the store and drove back to the ship. No problems. Best vanilla ever.

Can you possibly remember the name of the grocery store ? I would really appreciate it-take your time and I will be waiting for your answer ;) .

Thank you

Is that the store that is located next door to Poncho's Patio?

It looks familiar to me based on your pictures and I am thinking that

I went in there after lunch at Poncho's.

I will be returning to Cozumel in the fall and and want to get

some good Vanilla while there.

I honestly cannot remember the name of the store. I know it was 2 blocks up away from the strip(away from the beach). I was a regular grocery store for the locals. They were surprised to see us in there. The cab driver told us that most drivers know this store and just ask them and they will know about it. I also remember it wasn't too far from the mini-golf place about a block from the strip. Don't know if mini-golf is still there. We were very excited to see it for 1.10 each. They did take american money but change was in pesos. They went to the back of the store to get us a case of it since there wasn't many out on the shelf. Best vanilla we've ever had and we have bought at ports before.

Is that the store that is located next door to Poncho's Patio?
If you mean Pancho's Backyard, you are correct.

..... I also remember it wasn't too far from the mini-golf place about a block from the strip. Don't know if mini-golf is still there.
Mini-golf is still there and it too is worth a visit. If you go there, think about this; it is the second highest point on the island. Coconuts on the East side is the highest point.

Archived