Limon - coffee - best brands and prices to expect

snorkelman

I have read some posts about buying souvenirs and comments about coffee, but I have not found a post asking my specific question, so if one exists, please direct me to it and I apologize for not finding it myself.

I am not a coffee drinker, but I have read that coffee is one of the good things to buy while in Costa Rica. I figure that I may as well buy some for gifts for friends who like coffee, but I am clueless as to what amount I should spend and what size bags I should buy. Should I buy coffee beans or coffee that is already ground, or is there no such option?

So, please tell me what are the top two or three brands of coffee and what price I can expect to pay (and the corresponding bag-size) when I am in Costa Rica.

I will be on the Carnival Liberty at the beginning of October and it stops in Limon. I am not sure which excursion we will do, so I may have to buy the coffee at the pier (which I assume is more expensive than in a grocery store). Any particular vender at the pier which is “known” for good deals on coffee?

Another option is buying the coffee in the ship (if it is even available).

Again, I am clueless about coffee, so I only want to buy it if it will be appreciated as a gift and if it is a killer deal for me.

Thanks in advance.

The coffee selection in Limon is good.

Don't get that caught up in the big brand names like Cafe Britt (which is good but you can get that through mail order)

There are many good local brands available.

The prices are around 5$ for a pound or a little over a pound.

One thing to watch for is that each bag will have a use by date on it. Look for the freshest beans.

Typical coffee vendor at the pier:

2001537555514659425_rs.jpg

• 1 month later...

Previous poster has great advice.

In addition to Cafe Britt, there are other brands sold in the markets that can be found online.

We bought several different kinds in the market just off the ship... Each was double what they could be purchased online but we didn't discover that until we got home. So check the Cafe Britt website and do a search for Costa Rican coffees before you go so you have an idea of what you should be paying.

The reason we didn't go farther into Limon was we docked during a lightning storm with heavy rains. Weather was so bad, Princess cancelled all its excursions. (I never expected lightning in a tropical storm!)

Doka is the best large brand. The very best coffees are from some of the micro-plantations, but you won't find these in the shops in Limon.

My wife really loves Costa Rican coffee, but then she just plain loves Costa Rica -- it is a great place.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Our tour guide, Lester from Oregon Tours,took us to a grocery store not far from the pier and we bought some excellent coffe called Oro. I would highly recommend it! I know it cost less than the Cafe Britt, to!

A local person told us about 1820. It is cheaper and as good as Cafe Britt. I agree with others about Doka Estate Coffee. It is Costa Rica best but is more expensive. Regardless of what kind you would get, just be sure to get a 100% Arabica beans kind.

Costa Rica coffee is as good as Jamaica Blue Mountain and alot cheaper.

• 1 month later...

We just came back from Port Limon. We went on a private tour with Charlie Soto, and part of our tour included a trip to the local grocery store. We went to a chain type store about a couple of blocks from the port. I paid $2 for a 1.1 pound bag of coffee. I bought 2 different brands-one is called Dorado and the other Cafe Maravilloso. Our luggage smells like coffee, but it's a great smell! I also bought vanilla for $1.40.

• 1 month later...
The coffee selection in Limon is good.

Don't get that caught up in the big brand names like Cafe Britt (which is good but you can get that through mail order)

There are many good local brands available.

The prices are around 5$ for a pound or a little over a pound.

One thing to watch for is that each bag will have a use by date on it. Look for the freshest beans.

Typical coffee vendor at the pier:

2001537555514659425_rs.jpg

We just came home with coffee from this vendor. The yellow bags in the top and center - Cafe Quetzal. Absolutely incredible. I wish I had brought home 10 pounds instead of 2. I'm picky about my coffee and this stuff is some of the best I've ever had.

It was surprisingly hard to find whole bean coffee, though.

• 1 month later...

We went into a grocery store downtown (didn't get the name or location) at the end of Charlie Soto's tour. We bought whole bean (grano) coffee. We've tried the Montana brand (about $3-4 for the pound bag) and the Cafe Britt Poas--both have been very delicious!

We've also ordered coffee from Cafe Britt's website (www.cafebritt.com). They seem to run lots of specials that include free shipping. More expensive than buying in country, of course, but a good way to keep in stock if you find one of their coffees you love from your cruise.

Archived