Chinatown

maitlandcruisers

We are planning on dropping off our luggage at the port, checking in, making dinner reservations, and then heading out to Chinatown. Since the PoAm is now at Pier 2, is that too far to walk? (We are use to walking). Any suggestions for Dim sum in Chinatown? How about a good place to buy leis to take to our cabin? (Is there any problem with bringing flowers on board?)

Thanks for your help!

Not a far walk, probably 15-20 minutes. For dim sum, Mei Sum (65 N. Pauahi St). If you want Chinese, but not dim sum, Little Village is excellent (1113 Smith St). For leis, Cindy's (1034 Maunakea St), or the one across the street from Cindy's (can't remember the name) is also good. If you decide you're not in the mood for Chinese, and feel like a Guinness, I highly recommend Murphy's Bar & Grill (2 Merchant St) - great pub atmosphere, yummy home-style cooking, and a good value. Sit in the bar if you can.

Enjoy Hawaii!

I heartily second Aloha Gal's recommendations for food (Mae Sum & Little Village). The latter is where we take visitors.

There are so many lei stands on Maunakea (one block over from Smith - where that food is) that you can't go wrong.

Pete

Can someone confirm that once we checked in at the pier, we can leave the port and explore the city before the actual sail?

In NY, once you are in, I don't think you can get out.

It will be great for my family to explore the city more!

Thanks in advance...

Wants2fly

I can confirm that you can leave. NCL gives you a passcard upon check-in and you use this to come/go as you please. When I cruised the POH and yearned for some Gordon Biersch at the Aloha Tower Marketplace, I simply left the ship and reboarded 30 minutes prior to sailing.

Enjoy!

It's about a mile walk each way from pier 2. Two miles total.

You could take a taxi back if you get tired.

Chinatown is the best place to get leis.

They are around the corner of maunakea & beretania.

You could also check out iolani palace, it's on the way.

Archived