Everything is Sold out! Any Suggestions for Excursions in Skagway?

DocHoliday47

We are leaving on NCL Pearl June 24 and to our disbelief just about everything worth doing in Skagway is sold out completely. The only things left are city activities and train rides. We wanted to kayak, hike or bike and see the countryside and its a sad disaapointment that everything is booked. We have done many many trips on RCL and have never experienced this before. What about the sad souls that wait until they board the ship? It would be impossible to do anything!

So any excursions that anyone can recommend that are not necessarily organized by NCL?

Check out Chilkoot Tours on the web. We did the train/bus combo and liked it very much. I don't have their brochure in front of me, but I seem to remember that they had other, more active, excursions.

Don't forget to stop at the Skagway Fish Co for some food and drink. Really, really good.

Good luck.

From what I have learned, the cruiselines allot a certain number of seats for excusions booked on line, and hold back some for the people to book once on board the ship. Usually they cut off the on-line bookings a week or so prior to the cruise date. Could this be the case here? If so, be first in line at the shore excursions desk when you embark, and you will probably be able to book what you want.

Hope that helps.

There should also be plenty of tour opportunities when you get into port. One year we found a very nice van tour that took us all the way to Emerald Lake with plenty of photo stops and included lunch. The tour guide was very good and we had a great time.

Shar

just notice "ridgecrest. ca". left there after high school in 1968.

to OP, you will find something great to do. sorry you missed out on the ones you wanted. have you checked with the local vendors?

hopefully for the better, it wasn't too great back then. my dad was the first to figure out how to have the swamp cooler divide out to the other rooms. no air conditioning back then, we used to cool off by going to the freezer section of the grocery store.

i was in the first class to start las flores middle school...long time ago:eek:

maybe that's why the cooler weather of alaska felt so good!!:D

Hello Doc,

We were there just last week on the Radiance! We were scheduled to take the 12:15 train and had a long morning to do what ever we wanted, so we took a hike! This was a bit on the challenging side for us - 49,50,54,56 - in good shape, but worked up a sweat anyway! :o

Go to 4th street, make a right (head to the rr tracks) , at the end of the street, go a little to your right where the Avis car rental is. On the left side of the building you'll see a sand volleyball court - walk past this, over the tracks and you'll see the trail head to Dewey Lakes. It's really pretty and up high is great for pictures.:D There are waterfalls too!

Just an idea!

I was also going to mention the hikes - Lower Dewey Lake is easier, Upper Dewey is supposed to be more challenging. Dyea is supposed to be a neat town - do a search on this board for info. Dyea Dave probably has info about it. The cemetery is also supposed to be interesting. And if you can rent a car, as has been mentioned, the drive to the Yukon is incredible. We did that last year. Look on this board for Murray's guide (see another thread on the first page).

We are leaving on NCL Pearl June 24 and to our disbelief just about everything worth doing in Skagway is sold out completely. The only things left are city activities and train rides. We wanted to kayak, hike or bike and see the countryside and its a sad disaapointment that everything is booked. We have done many many trips on RCL and have never experienced this before. What about the sad souls that wait until they board the ship? It would be impossible to do anything!

So any excursions that anyone can recommend that are not necessarily organized by NCL?

The White Pass and Yukon Railway is a great excursion, don't dismiss it as an option! If you like to hike and are in shape, the Upper Dewey Lake trail is awesome. If you're not into that much work, the Lower Dewey Lake trail is very nice too. Both hikes are free and start right in town. Have fun!

Archived