All the good Skagway excursions Sold out 2 weeks in advance???

DocHoliday47

We are leaving on NCL Pearl June 24 and to our disbelief just about everything worth doing in Skagway is sold out completely. The only things left are city activities and train rides. We wanted to kayak, hike or bike and see the countryside and its a sad disaapointment that everything is booked. We have done many many trips on RCL and have never experienced this before. What about the sad souls that wait until they board the ship? It would be impossible to do anything!

So any excursions that anyone can recommend that are not necessarily organized by NCL?

We were in Skagway last June and there are tour vendors at the pier when you get off the ship. You will be able to book something cool through one of them. The ships ones usually sell out quick. Run to the library and check out Fodors Alaska cruise ship ports. It gives you some great vendors to use. Not that it's relevant, but in Juneau Mighty Great tours is fabulous! Have fun!

as popular as alaska has gotten, i am not surprised. the train ride is beautiful...but many do the car rental and drive up to the yukon. emerald lake has become the place to see..according to the alaska port-of-call boards. many have booked their rental over a year ago.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

flight seeing and kayaking are limited to how many people they can take at one time. with a limit of 4 to 6 people and over 6,000 people on the cruise ship coming each day. they are going to sell out. there are folks on the alaska board that are booking tours for their cruise in 2008.

http://www.skagway.com/

We are leaving on NCL Pearl June 24 and to our disbelief just about everything worth doing in Skagway is sold out completely. The only things left are city activities and train rides. We wanted to kayak, hike or bike and see the countryside and its a sad disaapointment that everything is booked. We have done many many trips on RCL and have never experienced this before. What about the sad souls that wait until they board the ship? It would be impossible to do anything!

So any excursions that anyone can recommend that are not necessarily organized by NCL?

Contact Dolly Varden. We did a Eagle Float tour with them (out of Haines) and they were very good. We met up with a family that took the ferry from Skagway and were on NCL. We travel on HAL but I saw your post. We have saved hundreds by booking direct, and would rather be in a group of 8-10 vs 50. We wanted to go to Skagway in the afternoon and they were very good about dropping us and the other family off at the ferry.

www.dollyvardenalaska.com -

If you did want the train you could book direct too.

This is becoming more and more common now that you can book them online and over the phone.

As others have suggested, try looking online for tour companies in the ports and giving them a call to arrange something before you leave.

Enjoy your cruise :)

isn't dolly varden a booking agent?

i would doubt that the train is sold out. they just add more cars for more space. the nice thing about booking that through the cruiseline...you can board right at the dock. if you book through the WPR you board at the train depot. not a big difference, but it's nice to just walk off the ship, walk a few yards and get on the train.

if you are cruising in a couple of weeks, if might be too late to rent a car...those are very limited. but you may want to call one of these:

http://www.skagway.com/activities.html

Skagway is actually a small town with small population. With sometimes as many as 4 ships in the port a day during the summer, it is quite easy to see why all the tours fill quickly....not enough guides. The trains and town tours can handle many, many people and thus that is why they don't fill.

We are leaving on NCL Pearl June 24 and to our disbelief just about everything worth doing in Skagway is sold out completely.

I reserved my tours 3 months in advance. That's especially important for popular tours such as the glacier dogsled tour.

-Paul

i would doubt that the train is sold out. they just add more cars for more space. the nice thing about booking that through the cruiseline...you can board right at the dock. if you book through the WPR you board at the train depot. not a big difference, but it's nice to just walk off the ship, walk a few yards and get on the train.

if you are cruising in a couple of weeks, if might be too late to rent a car...those are very limited. but you may want to call one of these:

This guy will sell you anything and leave you hagging! Does a good job with one group then blows it with another, lack of a license or broke down riggs or is being denied access to a harbour, call the Haines Chamber for a reference?

Stacym

Also check with the excursions desk as soon as you get on the ship. They may be holding back some reservations for people to book onboard.

Yes, and they will put you on a waiting list, also, in case people cancel. It does happen.

Good luck!

Linda

Thanks for all the suggestions.

The trains and city tours are not sold out, just not my cup of tea. We like something a little more exciting if we are going to pay for it.

We have put our names on wait lists, so you never know. I think we will plan on just sight seeing Skagway on our own, and there is nothing wrong with that.

We were a bit luckier with our other excursions and luckily we were able to book the helicopter & dogsledding trip in Juneau, which is the tour I really wanted. And we are in a cruise so it will be a fabulous time no matter what!

• 2 months later...

This guy will sell you anything and leave you hagging! Does a good job with one group then blows it with another, lack of a license or broke down riggs or is being denied access to a harbour, call the Haines Chamber for a reference?

Stacym

Dolly Varden, as far as I know, is owned by a woman, and doesn't actually operate the tours. Maybe you're talking about one of the tour operators they contract with?

I had great experiences with Dolly Varden for Dog Sledding & whale watching in Juneau, Misty Fjords in Ketchikan, and the Chilkat float trip in Haines.

Archived