Dog Sledding on Land - Juneau

ren11356

For half of our group the helicopter and glacier dog sledding is too expensive so we were all thinking of doing the Musher's Camp excursion in Juneau. I understand you do about a mile through the woods pulled by 12-14 dogs in a cart. Has anyone done this excursion (or dog sledding by cart) and is it worth the money or a disappointment?

Thanks for any help.

We did the mushers camp in Skagway last week-think it's the same company. We loved the mushers stories and the dogs. It was my favorite thing-not for the ride, but for hearing and talking to the mushers about their experiences (see my Island Princess 6/4-6/11 review). There were 10 mushers and 300 dogs there!

we did the excursion thru Princess for the sled dog mushers camp (we did it in Skagway-but they sold tshirts for Juneau and Skagway at the camp we went too-assume it's the same company) don't know if they book independent

You guys got me curious. I'd heard something about this tour early in the season, and was excited for something new for my guests, but had seen no public info about it.

I drove out by the location, and there's no public signs. An Internet search found only this: http://www.hollandamerica.com/dest/excursion.do?portCode=JNU&tourId=7513&dest=A

It would appear to be yet another tour created by a cruiseship line that shut out anyone but their customers. I can imagine, with so many lines plying Alaska, with similar pricing, they have to do something to stand out.

We just returned from our Alaska cruisetour this past Thursday. We did the helicopter ride, landing on the glacier and snow dog sledding. WOW, that was the best experience I have ever had. Totally worth the money we paid. I could not look at another glacier in the same way again. And for the dog sledding, like I said it was worth every penny.

I do understand that not everyone can afford this excursion. But in Fairbanks, we stopped at the Welcome Center after the Tundra Wilderness Tour and they took us to the dog mushing camp for free. We got to pet the dogs and hug the ones not in tcages - then they had a live demonstration on how the dogs are harnessed up. He then took the dogs for a little ride around the designated area and boy can they run fast. That was also very nice and was free.

Whatever you end of doing, you will never forget it - it was GREAT.

Archived