Holiday Sold?

jdhw

Has anyone heard anything about the Holiday being sold? I was looking at booking a cruise out of Mobile for next May but wanted to know about the ship change.

Joe

Yes there have been a couple of threads about it. You can try searching for them but it has been in my local paper that the Holiday and another Fantasy class ship will be transferred over to a Spanish cruise line that Carnival has partnered with. The time frame listed was as early as Fall but no news since then. If you were to book the Holiday and a ship change is made your booking would automatically transfer to the new ship at no extra charge.

Here is a link to a condensed version of the article from the Mobile Press Register that gives the information.

http://www.al.com/press-register/stories/index.ssf?/base/business/117965288020410.xml&coll=3

My TA has also confirmed the information as well. They are the largest TA in Mobile and were present at the meeting with Carnival officials and Mobile city officials when the announcement was made.

I say book it....chances are very good that you will end up on a better ship for less money. Holiday was my first cruise 12yrs ago and I love that ship but bigger better ships are out there and with 2 leaving in the same class I would bet you may end up getting a newer ship.

I'm confused by this... anytime Carnival has cancelled cruises on a ship, they haven't placed those people on other ships. They basically give you a refund... and that is it. Time and time again... I have never seen them place people on other ships for the same amount... this was the HUGE uproar with the FEMA ships, as well as chartered ships, etc. They offer discounts on a future cruise and an OBC sometimes, but they can't just put people on another ship, because other ships already have people booked on them... So I would book the cruise, but I would also know that down the road that cruise could be cancelled... Is it going to be different this time? I'm truly curious... how they would make this work? Because they will also be cancelling cruises on the repositioning ships...

I'm confused by this... anytime Carnival has cancelled cruises on a ship, they haven't placed those people on other ships. They basically give you a refund... and that is it. Time and time again... I have never seen them place people on other ships for the same amount... this was the HUGE uproar with the FEMA ships, as well as chartered ships, etc...

Apples and oranges. In the cases noted above, Carnival was actually reducing the number of ships in service for cruising -- a loss of cabins in service. Not so, here. When/if Celebration and Holiday go to Spain, Carnival will add at least two additional ships to the fleet which are larger and carry more passengers than the departed ships -- in other words, a net gain of cabins/passengers. And, the ships replacing Celebration and Holiday will, by mere availability, be larger ships. Anybody booked on those two will easily fit on any ship replacing them.

Hi all, I just returned from the Holiday and the day we returned to Mobile there were VIP's waiting to board to check out the ship. I was told they were from Italy. I got this from a guy working in the terminal and also from my room steward. When I asked the man in the terminal about the channel being to hard to turn in for a bigger ship, he replied, that Carnival could have already had a bigger ship there but it cost so much to have the ship turned, I guess by a tug. But they are definately looking for a buyer. Its time in my opinion. She is so out dated. I was on her in '94 and it just wasn't the same this time. The big ships have so much more to offer. Just wanted to pass on what I was told.:)

How could they transfer your booking to a larger ship with a totally different layout? The cabins are all configured differently, and there will obviously be more of them as well as maybe more Ocean View/Balcony.... I would think they would either refund or give a credit for a different sailing? We were on the Holiday for the 3rd time last November, and the rumor of her being sold was floating around even then!!!

How could they transfer your booking to a larger ship with a totally different layout? The cabins are all configured differently, and there will obviously be more of them as well as maybe more Ocean View/Balcony.... I would think they would either refund or give a credit for a different sailing? We were on the Holiday for the 3rd time last November, and the rumor of her being sold was floating around even then!!!

At best the Holiday and Celebration would be replaced by Fantasy class ships, as Carnival shuffles their inventory. The differences aren't that significant.

What I was told by my local TA that was at the meeting with Carnival is that the bookings will be transferred to the newer ship without any extra cost (Fantasy class is more expensive than the Holiday). I would assume that whoever booked it be it Carnival or TA's would have to offer other options as well for those that didn't want to transfer. The way it was explained to me is you would get the same class room at no additional cost. You would definately have to pick a new cabin. I guess the details will be worked out in advance and it will only be speculation until the actual plans are made known and publicized. Since I have one booked on the Holiday for February 2 I am hoping to be notified of any changes made to my booking and will post information as to details when I receive it.

Yikes, I have an Inspiration booked February 2nd. I sure hope that doesn't happen since I have to book airfare. Of course if the Inspiration were to go to Mobile I wouldn't need airfare, but I'll have already purchased airfare to Tampa. YIKES! :eek:

Yikes, I have an Inspiration booked February 2nd. I sure hope that doesn't happen since I have to book airfare. Of course if the Inspiration were to go to Mobile I wouldn't need airfare, but I'll have already purchased airfare to Tampa. YIKES! :eek:

Another way is if the Sensation goes up goes up than the Inspitation will stay in Tampa. It would be very easy to bring either the Imagination or the Sensation up from Miami to Jaxport . I have a feeling the Inspiration is going up to take the Holidays place. It would be a short move.

When do you think they will make an announcement? My prediction is that the Triumph will move to New Orleans in April and then the Fantasy will come over to Mobile. They already were planning on moving the Triumph to New Orleans this year, but just moved the date back.

Ya'll dont panic there is very good valid info here.

If your not an experienced cruiser or even if you are many dont pay attention to things like this. But, ships come and go from the fleet all the time, itenerarys change all the time and the cruise company doesnt cancel or ask passengers to move to other cruises. Planning in the cruise industry happens years ahead, often not in the timeframe that they thought so it would be real stupid to not sell dates for a cruise with the thought that a ship is being sold. Another ship will take that intenerary..at worst it will be a fantasy line ship as stated, at best a bigger/newer ship. Inteneray studies are done all the time to provide cruisers with the hottest of destinations...those that are not in demand are often serviced by the smaller/older ships or even the home port may be to small for a big ship.

As they open new ports in the US to make cruising more convienent it is often at a small port.

Small home port/older/smaller ship = BIG DISCOUNTS.

If you like the itenerary and the price...Book!!! Carnival will not let you down!!

I understand what you are saying BUT...I booked my cruise in 2/08 for the SHIP. I love the Inspiration. We just did the cruise in May and decided it was so great, we'd repeat it. Plus in Calica we want to see Xel-Ha this time. So, if they move another ship in (which I'm sure they would) it will be a disappointment to us, as we booked for the ship itself. It won't be heart breaking, but if I had known beforehand I would have booked our second choice, which was the Legend. Whatever happens, I know Carnival will step up to the plate, but it's a bit traumatic not knowing at this point.

Gosh, I had no idea about the Holiday being sold. I missed all the rumors I guess. I hope that our cruise doesn't suffer because of it.

2 years ago I went on Norwegian..and I can't remember the boat name at this moment...but it was the last sailing before it was shipped off to Europe. It was the worst boat and crew I have had. It wasn't clean, and was old and stinky. The service seemed to suffer too. It just seemed that everyone knew this was the end and they didn't care just wanted to get through it.

We are leaving Monday and I am taking the rest of my family on their first cruise and I really want them to have a great experience!

Here is hoping that Holiday is as great as most of the posters on here have said it is. I know it will be small compared to most boats, but I am hoping for friendly service and cleanliness at least!!

SunnyD

Archived