White Water Rafting worth it?

snorkelman

I see that you are the most recent on the White Water rafting trip that I can find. We are planning on doing this excurison are on trip in April of 09. We see on carnivals web site the maxium weight is 250lbs. But have yet to read anything about them checking this. I am built like a football player and being a cop for the last 7 years I hover around 250 to 260. Did they weight you before you went on or turn anyone away from what you see. I can hide the weight and don't look that heavy. but I cant hide from a scale.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
I see that you are the most recent on the White Water rafting trip that I can find. We are planning on doing this excurison are on trip in April of 09. We see on carnivals web site the maxium weight is 250lbs. But have yet to read anything about them checking this. I am built like a football player and being a cop for the last 7 years I hover around 250 to 260. Did they weight you before you went on or turn anyone away from what you see. I can hide the weight and don't look that heavy. but I cant hide from a scale.

Thanks

I have done it many times They do not weigh you If you can fit into life vest ok without a problem they will let you go I was 262 first time.

Only thing is they put me on the side where they had a lot of light weight people . My wife was on the other side of the raft . Not that big of a deal

DO NOT MISS THIS IT IS THE BEST . I tell all my clients to so this and they always say I was right

If you have any other concerns I will answer

• 5 months later...

Well Stevenb my husband and I are considering booking the 8 day cruise on the Carnival Freedom and march 18th we would be in Limon Costa Rica. The white water rafting looks and sounds like a blast, we have often booked private tours when we visit other countries (we find it a much more personal and rewarding experience and cheaper then the ship)

So reading all these posts I am eager to try something different I am not young and skinny like I use to be , I am a good 200lbs right now and certainly not as fit as I use to be, but I was a very active person for many years pretty much participating in every sport. I want to be sure that I won't be a meanace to the tour guide or other passengers, in other words I really prefer NOT to fall out! And I am wondering if because of my weight that is something to be concerned about. I am just trying to be honest here and hope that you will be too. I would love to try the white water rafting and zip lining, I am 47 and certainly could be in better shape but I love trying all sorts of adventures, I just don't want to get myself in over my head. It sounds like sooo much fun! since you did it what is your honest opinion, I promise not to be offended. thanks

We did it off the ship as the difference in price was like 10.00 less back a few years / If the difference is small I would use the ship as you never know if coming back you are late

I was like 275 back then had no problem the walk from bus is not far at all

No one fell out when we have gone that time and all the times we have gone

Only thing you need is to take is water shoes or old sneakers anything else is bad to wear

Take a waterproof throw away camera so you can take pictures

I just did zip lining a few month back in Costa Rica had a great time OH by the way I am 57

In Panama we rented a car and drove over to Canal You get to sit so close that you can almost touch the ships

If you need any other info let me know

We are leaving on another one March or April

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Since I learned so much from the boards here is my follow up on our White Water Rafting excursion:

Limon, Costa Rica

I prebooked the White Water Rafting excursion with Carnival online for this one. I considered booking an independent tour but having been in Costa Rica before and seeing people just barely making it back due to traffic I stuck with the ship!

The cost was $115 per person. There were 2 times available and we went with the earlier one.

This was great fun! I had purchased the excursion for the 3 of us but Emma had gotten a little too much sun the day before and did not feel well. She wound up staying in the cabin and sleeping the day away. Rachel and I went together and it was wonderful! I can’t tell you how many times I thought how lucky I was to have this experience and time with my daughter! She and I laughed so much and had such a joyful time together!!!!

We met at the pier by the buses. A coach bus took us first to the Tour Companies lodge area where we could use the bathrooms etc. We got back on the Coach bus and were taken to a spot on the side of the road where there were trucks waiting for us.

Now this part was the real adventure! We got on the back of the pick up trucks which had wood railings all around and wooden floors. We were divided up into a couple of them. These drove us down the rocky dirt road – well path – to the bottom of the mountain where the boats were waiting at the river. I was fine as long as I did not look over the edge!!!

I had read a review by someone else who took an independent tour a couple of months ago where it was mentioned that the Carnival tour people had to walk down to the river. There was a whole group of people who were walking so I asked them about it. It turns out that this is the Carnival Crew who are offered a much cheaper excursion that does not include the same transportation or the lunch that the passengers get on their tour.

Once we got down to the river we were given lifejackets, helmets and oar. We broke into groups and got into the rafts….groups of 6 and 8. The guide on the bus had gone over all the safety equipment and some basic info on how we would paddle etc. The guide on the raft went over it all again.

Then it was time to begin….we paddled out and went through a little ‘test” area so we could get the feel of it….Then we were off. This was really so much fun! Parts of the river were very calm and gave us the opportunity to really take in the view and other parts were rapids that went up to Class III. Our boat did very well and we had no fall-offs but we watched as one whole raft overturned and dumped all 9 people in it (8 plus the guide) and another that lost half the people. Everyone was quickly rescued and pulled onto other rafts. When we got to a clear area we brought all the rafts on the bank so everyone could get back in their proper place. I should mention that in addition to us having guides on each raft there were a couple of kayakers in the water alongside us to help out and assist with any topplers.

I thought the guides were wonderful and friendly. They really added to the enjoyment and spirit of the excursion.

At the end we got out of our rafts and walked up the bank to the coach bus that had been sent over for us. We were brought back to the tour operator center where we had a very nice buffet lunch. There was juice and such included but we purchased a beer at the bar.

I should also mention a couple of things…..both when you get in the water and when you get out there are very rocky areas that you have to walk over so don’t be surprised by that. AND one of the guys in a kayak is a photographer. He will paddle ahead and then perch in various spots to take photos of you and your adventure. All the photos of all the rafts will be on one CD which you can purchase and he makes an effort to make sure that there are a whole bunch of photos from each raft. The CD can be purchased for $30 and also has a bunch of photos from Costa Rica as well.

I think we had about an hour or so to change and have lunch which was just right. Then it was back on the bus to head to the pier. I took a very nice nap at this point!

When we arrived back at the pier we spent a little time walking around and shopping for souvenirs. I wanted to get some coffee and a coffee mug. I collect coffee mugs from each port of call and ship and I never got one last time I was in Costa Rica.

There seemed to be a good variety of items and even women doing mani/pedis and massages.

ENJOY!!!

• 5 months later...

Wow! Thanks for sharing your experience. Always wanted to do this. I figure if i can scuba dive and can attempt this.

Thanks for giving a guide, my upcoming cruise on rccl doen't offer white water rafting and we are there for 12 hours so think i have time to take tour with someone off the ship.

• 4 months later...

We signed up for the White Water Rafting. It was great. We got on the nice buses and took us about an hour to get into Costa Rica to the river. We had a nice tour guide, and we learned a lot about Costa Rica. It is a very nice country. A lot of lush trees including lots of banana trees! We got to the rafting facility which is very nice and got ready for rafting. Took a bus down to the river and for about an hour went rafting down the river. It was great! Lots of great rapids. Good for all ages – even beginners. I even jumped in the water – twice! I specifically chose this cruise to go white water rafting in Costa Rica and it was well worth it. Port Limon, I wouldn’t walk around myself. I didn’t see a lot of shopping places, so I think it is best to do a shore excursion. I would certainly return to Costa Rica. Seems like a laid back country.

You will get soaked, bring a change of clothes. You can bring your waterproof camera. The CD is $25 but I didn’t think the pictures turned out very good.

Archived