Eeks! Online class and cruise...

:eek: I have an online class for my college that starts on the day of my cruise. My question is does the Internet café on the ships have like a Word document or writing software on their computers. Another question is do you pay to use the computer or is it JUST the Internet that has fees, and if so how much is it?

I plan on just writing up homework the old fashion way and just putting it on a Word document and sending it by email/Blackboard. But was wondering if they had this option or not. I really do not want to spend more than 10 mins a day online because I hear it's expensive. I will email my Professor before I go but do not want a cruise as an explanation to slack off, it is a 5 week accelerated course. Thanks for any replies.

I had the same problem last year. I'm pretty sure the computers don't have word on them, because I specifically remember having to type my homework into blackboard and send it that way.

Most teachers are understanding if you tell them you're going to be away with limited internet access.

:eek: My question is does the Internet café on the ships have like a Word document or writing software on their computers.

Windows comes standard with both "Wordpad" and "Notepad" which are both small wordprocessing software utilities. Maybe someone could check for you if either of those programs are accessible.

Enjoy your cruise - doing homework! Ugh!:D

:eek: I have an online class for my college that starts on the day of my cruise. My question is does the Internet café on the ships have like a Word document or writing software on their computers. Another question is do you pay to use the computer or is it JUST the Internet that has fees, and if so how much is it?

I plan on just writing up homework the old fashion way and just putting it on a Word document and sending it by email/Blackboard. But was wondering if they had this option or not. I really do not want to spend more than 10 mins a day online because I hear it's expensive. I will email my Professor before I go but do not want a cruise as an explanation to slack off, it is a 5 week accelerated course. Thanks for any replies.

You will need to carry onboard your own Laptop so that you can have full access of MsWord and can do your homework Offline, then all you need to do is log on and send your Homework and log off.

Just remember, Satellite Internet is very slow, so while you send your homework, don't panic and just wait, its doing its thing, its just slow.

Fred

Thanks everyone. I guess I will use wordpad as long as it has a .rtf extension on the document I will be fine. I'm not going to bring my laptop on board since they already have computers there. I use my desktop more than my laptop and prefer that method.

I had the same problem. Summer school started June 4....the first real day of my cruise last week so I missed the whole first week. Went to class Monday and found out there was an exam the NEXT day:eek: I studied my butt off and made a 93:D

I'm glad it wasn't an online class. Those computers on the ships move VERY slow

Thanks everyone. I guess I will use wordpad as long as it has a .rtf extension on the document I will be fine. I'm not going to bring my laptop on board since they already have computers there. I use my desktop more than my laptop and prefer that method.

bring your laptop. The computers onboard are not what you have at home.

Their interface is to go online only. From what I saw on the miracle and the glory.

I'm sure someone who has used them for other purposes will say what they have in them.

We used our own laptop, but just had to go down there to sign up to use access.

I would not count on being able to sit at that computer and type up your homework. There aren't many computers to begin with.

I teach online and am going to be on the Ecstasy the final week of classes. I'm going to prep as much beforehand and let everyone know that I may not be online for the duration of the cruise.

Worse case scenario (and possibly a cheaper one) is to try and find an Internet Cafe at one or two of your ports of call. I've heard the crew on board may be a good reference for nearby places with good rates.

Good luck with your class.

-D

The last two cruises that we were on I was in the middle of online classes. I took my laptop along, just as the others suggested, and I was able to do all of my work offline. Then logged on and sent my work. I did let my instructors know that I was had limited access to the Internet and they were very understanding. It will work, but I agree take your laptop if you have one.

Have a great cruise! And good luck with your course!!:)

I guess I will have to bring my laptop. The farthest my laptop has ever been is from the bedroom to the living room. So there is WIFI connection in the cabins that you pay for? How do I get connected while on board so I can send my homework via blackboard?

Trust Me....Take Your Own Laptop.

faq.gifspacer.gifCan I access the internet while on board?spacer.gifFor those guests who want the option of staying connected to the rest of the world, we proudly offer fleet wide satellite internet. Access is facilitated through each ship’s onboard Internet Café, as well as wireless internet access points for personal laptops and most other wireless devices, such as Wi-Fi enabled Palm Pilots/PDA’s.

The Internet Café is open 24-hours a day and features private terminals with the latest flat panel computer monitors. Guests will have the ability to send and receive e-mail, chat online and access the internet. Guests can access their own e-mail account through AOL, Hotmail, Juno, Yahoo, etc. Alternatively, guests will have the option to use their very own temporary e-mail account with our “CruiseE-mail”™.

The Internet is accessed via satellite through a satellite modem, so guests can feel right at home whilst surfing the internet. When using a Café terminal, files can be downloaded as "read only" but cannot be saved, since a floppy disk cannot be inserted into the PC's. Laptop users can read and save files as needed.

Guests may bring their own personal laptop for use on board by using our Wireless Internet Service. Please note that the internet pricing options are identical, whether an Internet Café terminal is utilized, or a laptop. If the laptop is not equipped with a Wireless Internet Card, guests can rent one from the Internet Café. Please see below for more information. The Wireless Internet Service is compatible with a Wireless 802.11b card, which is the industry standard.

To access the Wireless Internet Service, the guest’s laptop must be in relative close proximity to a Wireless Access Point. The specific locations of access points vary from ship to ship. A complete list of these locations can be obtained from the Internet Café.

Internet Café Price List :

To utilize the internet service, the below options are available. Please note that the internet pricing options are identical, whether an Internet Café terminal is utilized, or a laptop. All internet access charges will be billed directly to the guest's onboard “Sail & Sign” Account:

An initial one-time Activation Fee of $3.95 applies to each user.

A basic time charge of $0.75 per minute (“Pay-As-You-Go”) is available. Minutes are rounded to the next full minute.

Discounted “Time Plans” offer guests the opportunity to enjoy a lower per-minute rate. These Time Plans do not have to be used in a single session and can be used anytime throughout the cruise until debarkation; No refund for unused minutes; Upgrading selected pricing option is not available. Plans are subject to change.

Cruises 7 days in length and longer:

100 minutes for $55.00 ($0.55 per minute)

250 minutes for $100.00 ($0.40 per minute)

Cruises less than 7 days in length:

30 minutes for $16.50 ($0.55 per minute)

60 minutes for $24.00 ($0.40 per minute)

To rent a Wireless Radio Card for a guest's personal laptop, the rate is $10.00 per day; Optional insurance is $3.00 per day.

A limited number of laptops are available for complimentary use with Time Plan purchase; optional insurance is $10.00 per day.

Trust Me....Take Your Own Laptop.

faq.gifspacer.gifCan I access the internet while on board?spacer.gifFor those guests who want the option of staying connected to the rest of the world, we proudly offer fleet wide satellite internet. Access is facilitated through each ship’s onboard Internet Café, as well as wireless internet access points for personal laptops and most other wireless devices, such as Wi-Fi enabled Palm Pilots/PDA’s.

The Internet Café is open 24-hours a day and features private terminals with the latest flat panel computer monitors. Guests will have the ability to send and receive e-mail, chat online and access the internet. Guests can access their own e-mail account through AOL, Hotmail, Juno, Yahoo, etc. Alternatively, guests will have the option to use their very own temporary e-mail account with our “CruiseE-mail”™.

The Internet is accessed via satellite through a satellite modem, so guests can feel right at home whilst surfing the internet. When using a Café terminal, files can be downloaded as "read only" but cannot be saved, since a floppy disk cannot be inserted into the PC's. Laptop users can read and save files as needed.

Guests may bring their own personal laptop for use on board by using our Wireless Internet Service. Please note that the internet pricing options are identical, whether an Internet Café terminal is utilized, or a laptop. If the laptop is not equipped with a Wireless Internet Card, guests can rent one from the Internet Café. Please see below for more information. The Wireless Internet Service is compatible with a Wireless 802.11b card, which is the industry standard.

To access the Wireless Internet Service, the guest’s laptop must be in relative close proximity to a Wireless Access Point. The specific locations of access points vary from ship to ship. A complete list of these locations can be obtained from the Internet Café.

Internet Café Price List :

To utilize the internet service, the below options are available. Please note that the internet pricing options are identical, whether an Internet Café terminal is utilized, or a laptop. All internet access charges will be billed directly to the guest's onboard “Sail & Sign” Account:

An initial one-time Activation Fee of $3.95 applies to each user.

A basic time charge of $0.75 per minute (“Pay-As-You-Go”) is available. Minutes are rounded to the next full minute.

Discounted “Time Plans” offer guests the opportunity to enjoy a lower per-minute rate. These Time Plans do not have to be used in a single session and can be used anytime throughout the cruise until debarkation; No refund for unused minutes; Upgrading selected pricing option is not available. Plans are subject to change.

Cruises 7 days in length and longer:

100 minutes for $55.00 ($0.55 per minute)

250 minutes for $100.00 ($0.40 per minute)

Cruises less than 7 days in length:

30 minutes for $16.50 ($0.55 per minute)

60 minutes for $24.00 ($0.40 per minute)

To rent a Wireless Radio Card for a guest's personal laptop, the rate is $10.00 per day; Optional insurance is $3.00 per day.

A limited number of laptops are available for complimentary use with Time Plan purchase; optional insurance is $10.00 per day.

Thanks a lot you have answered a lot of my questions. :D

Absolutly positively bring your laptop.

• The onboard computers are always "connected" to the internet so it will cost you $$$ just to do what is essentially offline work.
  • The applications are limited.
  • There is no way to save your work on the onboard computers, no floppy drive or burners, USB ports are disabled or non-existant.

Make sure you DO NOT pack your laptop in your Checked Luggage, its a carry-on item. If you put it in your checked luggage, it will arrive smashed.

Fred

Thanks Fred. I bought a Swiss Army hard case laptop briefcase for my old laptop like 2 yrs ago when I was deployed to Iraq and yea I had that on me at all times. So I will DEFINATELY have that as my carry on. I don't want anyone stealing it or misplacing it I am a BROKE Duke full-time student...LOL.

Connection is painfully slow, at least with a laptop you can work off-line and only login to xmit and receive!!!

Dood! You got a tattoo! So do you, dood! Dood, what does my tattoo say?

"Sweet!" What about mine? "Dood!" What does mine say? "Sweet!" What about mine? "Dood!" (Dude wheres my car). :D Ha ha you know I had to do that. You've probably heard that already on this board.

Dood! You got a tattoo! So do you, dood! Dood, what does my tattoo say?

"Sweet!" What about mine? "Dood!" What does mine say? "Sweet!" What about mine? "Dood!" (Dude wheres my car). :D Ha ha you know I had to do that. You've probably heard that already on this board.

Sweet! Dude! Actually no, most of the crowd on here are not big Ashton and Sean William fans, actually I am not an Ashton fan, but love Sean Williams - he will always be Stiffler to me...

I also agree. Bring your laptop but you will have to leave time to send the material. When I did my homework, it took me FOREVER and was so frustrating on a vacation. While I know it is hard to avoid it, try to schedule your trips around classes. In Sept when I go, I am skipping taking classes for those six weeks and will take two the six weeks afterward to stay on track. I need a real vacation which is away from the constant demands of homework. I hope you can make it work for you but I would NEVER try it without my laptop.

wonderfullife

Sweet! Dude! Actually no, most of the crowd on here are not big Ashton and Sean William fans, actually I am not an Ashton fan, but love Sean Williams - he will always be Stiffler to me...

Yup loved him in Rundown..."No monkey...no monkey!" Well that was actually the Rock.

I also agree. Bring your laptop but you will have to leave time to send the material. When I did my homework, it took me FOREVER and was so frustrating on a vacation. While I know it is hard to avoid it, try to schedule your trips around classes. In Sept when I go, I am skipping taking classes for those six weeks and will take two the six weeks afterward to stay on track. I need a real vacation which is away from the constant demands of homework. I hope you can make it work for you but I would NEVER try it without my laptop.

wonderfullife

Yea I can't really do that till next summer when I actually HAVE a break in a semester. Have been doing classes all year straight and have only had Xmas break and Spring Break. It's the program I am in so I have to follow their plan. Duke really doesn't do the whole every semester you can register for the same course (except for like Gen. Ed) each semester has different classes that piggy back on the next really.

I also have an online summer class. I'm planning to finish all the work due during my cruise before I leave (3 more days!). I don't know about your class, but all my work is on Blackboard already.

I know it doesn't sound like much fun but I'd rather finish it before I leave!

Archived