Any left luggage facilities in Dover?

Oh I sure hope someone can help - I've tried unsuccessfully to search these forums (maybe I don't pick the right key words?!) for information on left luggage in Dover. We will be arriving around 10am the day of our cruise and according to NCL we can't 'check in' at the ship until 1pm. We would love to see the cliffs and the castle with tunnels tour (could we do both between 10a and 2:30p?) but so far I can't figure out what we'll do with our luggage. Any information or advice would be sooooo very much appreciated!

As the ships normally arrives in the early morning the cruise terminal is already occupied in the morning.

Although check-in is not opened yet I think the chance just to release your baggage already could be not so bad.

So baggage acceptance is already in front of the termnal.

They are all VERY NICE at the Port of Dover.

Try it - go to your sights and then return to the terminal.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thanks for the tip HeinBloed - so you think they would hold our bags until we return, eh? I went to the Dover port website and they said they had no place for bags due to security reasons. So that's why I called NCL to see how early we could check in and they said 1pm - even though I described our situation. I imagine there must be SOMEPLACE in Dover to leave bags- it is a port and many coming through want to see the sights. I'll take my chances! Thanks again!

BTW I made a copy of your suggestion for Warnemunde day out - looking forward to a great time!

~LovesTravelling

I think you must differ:

You have your baggage tags for your same day departure on your suitcases.

So it can be identified as outgoing baggages for the next cruise.

I am quite sure that they will do it.

We did it already twice:

Last month in Hamburg:

we just gave them at 7.30 am our bags showing our baggage tags for the next cruise and go and have lunch before check-in starts at 2.30 pm.

Earlier this year we did also in Genoa:

At 8.00 am it was possible just to hand over your bags to a collection point and then we went back to the city and having breakfast and sightseeing as check-in should start at 10.00 am.

Without garantuee for Dover: I would try it. Just fix your baggage tags on the suitcases and go to the terminal: Release the bags at the curbside to the staff and go sightseeing. You do not carry your bags into the terminal. Outside at the curbside there are all porters who took the bags. And they are already there because they are carrying the bags for the arriving passengers. So there is staff who can take care of your request!

Wish you would have asked 6 weeks ago when I was in Dover. Next time in October.

How do you travel to Dover? Why don't you just rent a car for Dover and return the car there. You have transportation, storage etc. I remember NATIONAL car rental station was just in a walking distance to Cruise Terminal.

Regards,

HeinBloed

HeinBloed to the rescue again...I really appreciate it! I'm not sure why the NCL representative didn't just tell me that - though perhaps she doesn't have first-hand experience with the port in Dover.

We are travelling to Dover from London on a National Express coach - it lets us off at Pencester bus station in the city centre (though we will ask driver if it's possible to take us straight to port). I hope the port isn't too far away - it's hard to tell by the map - but we got the fun fare on the coach which was far cheaper than any other option we found so if we have to spring for a taxi I think we're still ahead.

Since we won't have a car do you have any advice on transport while in Dover? We're all young and healthy and not allergic to walking - the only concern is the time constraint. Do you think it is realistic to do both the cliffs and the castle/tunnel tour between 10am and 3pm? I think NCL says you have to be checked in/on board an hour before departure?

You seem to always have the insider tips so again I appreciate all your help. By the way I'm a first generation German American with first cousins still living throughout Germany. I'm hopeful Ulla (Gelsenkirchen) and Iwona (Verden an Bremen) will be able to meet us in or near Warnemunde/Rostock while we're there...it appears to be about 5 hours drive for them?

Happy sailing!

Well -

when your bags was tagged and we handle it to the porters in front of the Terminal - none was ever interested if WE personally entered the terminal to get to the check-in neither then onboard... like here:

2007NCLDreamCT2Front-vi.jpg

So I do not think that should be a problem to get your bags to terminal and then doing your sightseeing.

Once you arrive at the bus station in Dover do not expect that they will drive you to the Western Docks. The bus from London only stops at the Eastern Docks (Ferry Terminal).

Have a look to these pictures, which I took from the stern of NORWEGIAN DREAM while we are berthed in Dover (from left to the right):

2007NCLDreamDoverED2-vi.jpg

2007NCLDreamDoverED1-vi.jpg

2007NCLDreamDoverCenter-vi.jpg

It's 30 minutes walking time from the Bus Station at Pencester Road to Cruise Terminal.

After the entrance to the port at the parkings there are free mini-buses which take you to the entrance of the terminal.

If you do not like to walk:

2007NCLDreamDoverTaxi-vi.jpg

abt. 6 GBP to the cruise terminal.

There is also a bus starting from 9.30 hrs (every 30 minutes) from Market Square to the Cruise Terminal for 2 GBP pp.

BUT if at the time of your requested transport NORWEGIAN DREAM is coming from the Baltics and return to the Baltics there will NO transit passengers from one cruise to the next on board who might interested to do excursions in Dover while she is there. So I am not sure if the bus will go.

You need 6 GBP to the cruise terminal

6 GBP from the cruise terminal to the castle

walk to the cliffs / back to castle...

6 GBP back

it's 18 GBP now.

I know that there are great bargains on National Express for the Dover route. If you are lucky to get 1 GBP-tickets: congratulation.

If not: check the option to use a car rental.

It's for a mid-size car 45-50 GBP from London Central to Dover with National (undiscounted - but maybe you are loyal customer of them...).

You have your transportation - do not need to carry your bags and transfer your bags from one mean of transport to the other and your storage.

The station in Dover is close enough to the Western Docks which will allow you to release your baggage at the cruise terminal and then to return the car and walk back to the cruise terminal.

But anyhow: you can manage it in 6 hours and I am quite optimistic even without a car/taxi etc..

With plans like yours I would have cancelled my tickets with National Express and ordered a car and solve so all problems at once.

If your friend from Gelsenkirchen will make a small detour via Verden an der Aller they can come together in Warnemünde.

If you are arrving on a weekend day you can use the Happy-Weekend-Ticket to meet your friends in Hamburg which is somehow in the center between all cities you have mentioned.

Regards,

HeinBloed

I am currently doing my researches for my next cruise and so I need to check the left luggage fascilities in Glasgow and Liverpool.

So I found a website which might be helpful for other cruisers but you:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/DVP.html

As you can see here: No left luggage fascilities in Dover Priory.

But as this link might be helpful for other cruiser's as well for there planning I wanted to put it here for reference.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived