best line for transatlantic - Florida to Rome

routonc

For my son's hs graduation we started talking about a transatlantic cruise and Europe trip - cruising from Florida to Rome, then a few days on land traveling by train from Rome, through Paris to London, then cruising home again from England to Florida. We would probably take Royal Caribbean on the way home, but what would be a good ship that goes from Florida to Rome? I'm looking for inexpensive to moderate for pricing and we would like a few stops along the way. Is there a way to search for itineraries from different cruise lines and see the info?

Christina in GA

I'm not sure what you're looking for exists. Trans Atlantic cruises that go from South Florida to Europe leave in early April and they cruise the Med or Baltic in the spring, all summer and part of fall. If you want to take a reverse cruise back to Florida, you would have to stay in Europe until October or November, because the mass market lines do not reposition back to the Caribbean from Europe until early to late Fall. The only option for coming back would be Cunard, doing a crossing from Southampton to NY, and I'm not sure they do that itinerary all summer long. No other mass market cruise line does continuous crossings all summer. Those crossings are only for their spring and fall repositioning cruises.

Shoot, I really wanted to do that. I'll look into the Cunard line and see about doing that for the way back. My son doesn't want to fly, but if he wants to go on the trip he may have to suck it up and get on a plane to get home.

Thanks for your answer.

Christina in GA

For my son's hs graduation we started talking about a transatlantic cruise and Europe trip - cruising from Florida to Rome, then a few days on land traveling by train from Rome, through Paris to London, then cruising home again from England to Florida. We would probably take Royal Caribbean on the way home, but what would be a good ship that goes from Florida to Rome? I'm looking for inexpensive to moderate for pricing and we would like a few stops along the way. Is there a way to search for itineraries from different cruise lines and see the info?

Christina in GA

Wow! Can I call you mom??:p

Wow! Can I call you mom??:p

Sure you can :) If you pay for half the trip :) He's going to save as well and pay for half and I'm paying for half. Part of any graduation gifts will also go for the trip. We figure to save about $10K and we'll be gone a month.

QM2 six day crossing will be somewhat difficult to coordinate, but you have a good chance if you do it next spring. You didn't say when you were planning exactly! I was also looking for this same exact trip. I had a difficult time trying to get coordinated for the fall trip, but the schedules look good in spring of '08. With fewer stops, you will get a cheaper t/a. The crossing months are March, April and May. Fall crossings run between September thru December. There are very good prices right now on Carnival, Celebrity and RCI. Chances of them going down closer to the voyage are good as well.......If you need help, let me know and I will try and steer you in the right direction!

QM2 six day crossing will be somewhat difficult to coordinate, but you have a good chance if you do it next spring. You didn't say when you were planning exactly! I was also looking for this same exact trip. I had a difficult time trying to get coordinated for the fall trip, but the schedules look good in spring of '08. With fewer stops, you will get a cheaper t/a. The crossing months are March, April and May. Fall crossings run between September thru December. There are very good prices right now on Carnival, Celebrity and RCI. Chances of them going down closer to the voyage are good as well.......If you need help, let me know and I will try and steer you in the right direction!

It will be a few years, we have a lot of saving to do! We are going to do the Spring trip, probably on Carnival to Rome and then taking Cunard back to New York. We have a few other trips planned first - 2 cruises, a trip for me and dh to London, then it will be time for ds' graduation trip.

Glad to know I'm not the only one wanting to do a trip like this.

Christina in GA

It will be a few years, we have a lot of saving to do! We are going to do the Spring trip, probably on Carnival to Rome and then taking Cunard back to New York. We have a few other trips planned first - 2 cruises, a trip for me and dh to London, then it will be time for ds' graduation trip.

Glad to know I'm not the only one wanting to do a trip like this.

Christina in GA

No, you're definitely not the only one! You'll more than likely do better in the spring. So, keep an eye on prices when they're announced! Pick your long T/A first, then try to coordinate with the QM2 to get you back to New York. The best ones I have found would require a six day hotel stay, then back on the ship. We had a couple with us in April that did this trip. They said it was wonderful! :D

Hello,

I recall seeing some transatlantic cruises on Celebrity and Oceanic that looked very reasonable in terms of prices and ports (Oceanic less so interms of ports). You should also check Carnival, Princess. and HAL.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

Hello,

I recall seeing some transatlantic cruises on Celebrity and Oceanic that looked very reasonable in terms of prices and ports (Oceanic less so interms of ports). You should also check Carnival, Princess. and HAL.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

I haven't checked out HAL, thanks for that suggestion. I have looked at Carnival, Princess and Royal Caribbean for the trip to Rome.

Christina in GA

No, you're definitely not the only one! You'll more than likely do better in the spring. So, keep an eye on prices when they're announced! Pick your long T/A first, then try to coordinate with the QM2 to get you back to New York. The best ones I have found would require a six day hotel stay, then back on the ship. We had a couple with us in April that did this trip. They said it was wonderful! :D

I'm actually thinking of doing this without a T/A. We'll have to see as things get closer. It is a few years down the road. Do you mean 6 days between debarking in Rome before boarding the QM2 in Southampton or 6 days in Southampton? I was thinking of 6-7 days of travel between Rome and Southampton. If the ship leaves a few days after, that will be fine. We could use Southampton as a base for the extra days and use the Britrail pass to explore more of the UK before leaving. I'm anticipating a 28-30 day trip. My son would be 18 at that time and it will be a great memory for us to share before he begins college and goes out into the world.

Christina in GA

Archived