1st time on Valor Eastern Carib Itinerary

Mr. Baloo

Well, I have managed to read enough of these boards to become really confused about what we want to do in port... which wasnt that hard to do... as it all looks fun... but you know how it is the first time out... you want to catch the big stuff...

Ports are Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten.

What are your recommendations for these ports??? Which ports should we snorkel in? Party in? Chill at the beach in? Shop in? Which tour is a must see/do for each port.... what was the fav thing you did in that port?

Thanks a bunch.. only a month away.

We just return from East. Carb on the Glory. In St. Thomas I would recommend using a private tour Sunny Liston he was awesome, we were able to get some shopping, sightseeing and use of the beach. St. Marteen we did the Rhino Rider it was awesome, I would suggest booking it yourself it is cheaper we took cab there and on the way back stopped for some shopping. Nassau- we did the yellowbird party boat which was fun but not sure I would do again. :p Going Pink

We returned from E. Caribbean 7 day just this past Saturday. We were in St. Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk. We used a FABULOUS private tour company called Air Force One. Our driver was Allen. The open tour bus was clean and shiny. Allen the driver was brilliant! He gave us options for beaches, shopping, lunch, and touring. We contacted them via internet. They were promt in confiming our reservation and were waiting for us at the pier.

My mom and I were on the Valor last August and had the same ports. Nassau we did thed Sting Ray and beach excursion. It was ok. We were not really that impressed. When we got to St. Thomas, we decided to take a cab to Magens Bay and just beached it all day. It was MAGNIFICENT!!!!!! There was a place to eat, have drinks and rent various floatation things. When we arrived in St. Maarten, we booked the "Golden Eagle Catamaran" excursion. We HIGHLY recommend this!!! It was absolutely heavenly!!! The 45 min. sail to a private island, with an hour to hour and a half to snorkel, bask in the sun on the beach or swim around. You will have a blast!!! I gaurantee it!!!!

Enjoy your cruise and have a wonderful time!!!!

Ryan and Missy

St. Maarten we did Orient Beach, it had fantastic snorkeling and is a beautiful, fun beach. Nassau we did Ardasta Gardens (Bahamas only zoo and it was great). St Thomas we just shopped, which was a mistake. Next time we shall hit the beach.

Valor is a great ship, Im doing same intenerary on glory in July.

Ive been to Nassau and St Thomas twice...St Marten is new for me.

Nassau- pending how much time you have there...the shopping is so so, straw mkt is fun but if you miss it you wont loose any sleep over it. Atlantis I think is overated and a waste of the day but...if you just are so curious then go. The ferry is my recommendation as it is a nice ride back and forth...great picture ops. When you arrive there are some shops as you walk, if you like yachts there is a marina attached to the hotel with some awesome boats, overall not that great of an adventure. The water is great in Nassau so if you are beach folks this is one of the 2 places you should consider snorkeling. I have heard the Gardens are nice if you like that kind of thing.

St. Thomas- If you are shoppers...here and St Marten are the place.

However the stores are mostly the "finer" things. Lots of jewelry! Good jewelry and great prices...do your homework before cruiseing so you know if you are getting a good deal and always ask for a lower price. This is spot #2 for beach/snorkel..this is my fav port! Sapphire and Magens are the spots. Awesome beaches and water. Paradise Point is fun if you want to relax and enjoy the views. And of course you can hop the ferry to St. john. Easy, Trunk Bay is Fabulous...easy to do on your own. If there are more than 2 in your party an excursion there may be cheaper.There is plenty of info on St. john on the treads.

St. Marten- I think we are going to rent a car and go about the island.

We have done this in Aruba and Coz and love it. We want to explore, I hear it is the best Island. We will shop some, have heard shopping here is better than St T. Probably stop at Orient some, make our way to Maho Beach aroud 1pm as the planes start coming in as I know my 12 and 15yr olds will love that.

I try to mix shopping, beach/snorkel along with seeing or doing something unique to the island if at all possible. Alitttle history is nice but Im not one to take a guided tour.

Have a ball....

I was on the Valor and same iteniary in April. I enjoyed the Valor very much (nice choice). We booked our own tours independently prior to the cruise. I liked St. Maarten the best. In my opinion, that is the best port to do your shopping (definitely on the Dutch side--its cheaper and closer to the pier). We used tour guide Bernard with sxmtours.com he was a wonderful tour guide and we would book with him again. I cant wait til I am in St. Maarten again. Definitely visit Maho beach (where the planes are over your head). The best beach in St. Maarten was Orient beach....very long and nice beach. I never saw anyone in the buff or anything...very family friendly with many water activities and snack stands for a quick bite.

***Daydreaming about my next visit in St. Maarten***Ahhhhh :)

I am also doing these three ports on my up-coming cruise.. It's nice to have the info all on one thread, rather than trying to visit each of these ports of call boards. Thanks to all of you who have responded (and not suggested that we visit the ports of call boards:o ) This will be my first Eastern cruise and I am very interested in what there is to do in each of these ports! Please keep the info coming!

I also recommend Sunny Liston's tour in St. Thomas. We just got back from our Miracle cruise on Tues and last Fri we were on Sunny's tour. He is fabulous. You have a choice of a 1,2, or 3 hour shopping tour on Main St. in downtown Charlotte Amalie, then he picks you up and takes you on an hour and a half tour of the island and then drops you off at your beach of choice. We chose Sapphire. Great snorkeling there. Plus bathrooms, snack bar, etc. Really beautiful beach. Then he picks you up after about 2 hours and takes you back to the ship. The price is 25 p/p and is well worth it. Sunny is very friendly, funny and knowledgeable. Ohhhh how I wish I were back in St. Thomas right now!!!!!

Archived