Gown on a plane!

How did you transport your gown, did you carry it on or check it in?

Thanks

Carry it on- you can't risk that getting lost! You call the airline ahead of time and let them know you will be carrying on a wedding dress. They will usually hang it up front in the flight crew area (closet, I assume).

Caribbeananne, we are going on a Southern Caribbean cruise on November 4th, what a coincidence! Getting married the 6th in Barbados! And I agree about the carry on... no one needs the stress of a lost wedding dress!:eek:

It's a small world- We will be in Barbados on November 4th and getting married in St. Thomas on the 9th:)

Best wishes to you!

DEFINITLEY CARRY IT ON!!! The bridal shop I bought my dress from said that after my final fitting they will pack it for me in a garment bag. They said they have many weddings where the brides will be traveling with their gowns so they are pro's at packing them so the gown will have as little wrinkles as possible when unpacked. I'd ask your bridal shop if they will pack it for you. Then MAKE SURE YOU CARRY IT ON! I too plan on calling the airline a week before flying to let them know I'll be carrying the gown on and see if they can hang it anywhere. Have fun!

I found out the plane I was flying on didn't have the facilities to hold my dress, so carrying it on wasn't an option. Luckily, my mother-in-law and father-in-law were driving to Boston rather than flying, so they took the dress for me in their car. If I had been flying on a larger plane, I would have been taking it with me. It was very worrisome not having it in my possession.

DON'T make any assumptions about how the airline will deal with the dress. I'd suggest you start by checking with the airline to see what restrictions they have regarding carry-ons. Most will allow you to carry the dress on the plane, but it will be counted as your only allowable carry-on. Hopefully, there will space to store it in the overhead compartments or even in an onboard closet. But don't count on that.

Here's what I did. I found a garment bag that met carry-on standards and packed the dress in it. (not a plastic dress bag from the bridal shop, but actual luggage). I carried the bag unfolded onboard in the hopes that I could lay the dress flat in the overhead storage, or hang it somewhere. First, I smiled and asked as nicely as I could if I could pre-board so I could find overhead space for my dress. Unfortunatley, my particular flight was fully booked and they couldn't do it. As soon as I boarded, I asked the flight crew to help me find space to store it. There was no overhead space by the time I boarded -- it was already jammed with bags and bulky winter coats. But the crew let me hang it in what I think was a crew closet. The flight crew will try and be helpful, just ask as nicely as you can and they will usually try to find a way to work it out. But be prepared that you may have to check the dress.

Once I arrived, I knew there wasn't time for the ship to press my dress. But if the wedding isn't until the second or third day of the cruise, the ship should be able to steam it. Since that wasn't an option for me, I brought a small travel steamer. As it turned out, the dress traveled really well, and only needed a touch up with the steamer.

My plan was to do anything I could not to check the dress with the airline - especially if there was a plane change. In my case, traveling in winter, on Superbowl weekend when there are bound to be overbooked flights, the lost luggage lottery odds seemed pretty high. So just in case, I packed a "back up dress", a simple white sheath that I knew I could steam any wrinkles out of. Thankfully I didn't need it.:)

DON'T make any assumptions about how the airline will deal with the dress. I'd suggest you start by checking with the airline to see what restrictions they have regarding carry-ons. Most will allow you to carry the dress on the plane, but it will be counted as your only allowable carry-on. Hopefully, there will space to store it in the overhead compartments or even in an onboard closet. But don't count on that.

Here's what I did. I found a garment bag that met carry-on standards and packed the dress in it. (not a plastic dress bag from the bridal shop, but actual luggage). I carried the bag unfolded onboard in the hopes that I could lay the dress flat in the overhead storage, or hang it somewhere. First, I smiled and asked as nicely as I could if I could pre-board so I could find overhead space for my dress. Unfortunatley, my particular flight was fully booked and they couldn't do it. As soon as I boarded, I asked the flight crew to help me find space to store it. There was no overhead space by the time I boarded -- it was already jammed with bags and bulky winter coats. But the crew let me hang it in what I think was a crew closet. The flight crew will try and be helpful, just ask as nicely as you can and they will usually try to find a way to work it out. But be prepared that you may have to check the dress.

Once I arrived, I knew there wasn't time for the ship to press my dress. But if the wedding isn't until the second or third day of the cruise, the ship should be able to steam it. Since that wasn't an option for me, I brought a small travel steamer. As it turned out, the dress traveled really well, and only needed a touch up with the steamer.

My plan was to do anything I could not to check the dress with the airline - especially if there was a plane change. In my case, traveling in winter, on Superbowl weekend when there are bound to be overbooked flights, the lost luggage lottery odds seemed pretty high. So just in case, I packed a "back up dress", a simple white sheath that I knew I could steam any wrinkles out of. Thankfully I didn't need it.:)

This seems like really great advice! I don't have to travel for my wedding but my engaged sister may do a destination wedding.

Thanks!

Carry your dress on at all costs! I watched as they loaded our luggage on to the plane and you should see the way they man handled and tossed other peoples luggage and garment bags that were checked!:eek: I carried my on and David's Bridal packed it in on of those long white bags w/a special cardboard form and extra tissue paper. The people at the airlines were very nice to me as I made my way through the terminal w/my big white bridal bag. The flight attendents hung it up in that little closet along w/my husband's tux bag w/out us even asking!:D Do what ever it takes but don't check that dress!:)

I tried the calling ahead approach but got know where, so I decided to just overlook any rules and just carry it on regardless what they say. IT WORKED! I didn't count it as one of my twwo carry on-s since it was a dress. The first airline was rude about it and let me hold it on my lap, because it was a VERY small plane. But then the next flight was so nice and lthey hung it up in the crew closet. So just ask whatever flight if your wedding dress can be hung in the crew closet...there is on on EVERY plane!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived