beach near Sam Lord's Castle

twopaw

I was in Barbados 20 years ago and stayed at the hotel next to Sam Lord's. The beach at our hotel was spectacular, rough surf and gorgeous. My husband and I will be in Barbados in Nov and I'd love to get back to that beach but I don't know what the name was. Is this in the vicinity of Crane Beach or am I totally lost?

Thanks for your help anyone!

Alison & Ben

Probably Long Bay which is the area that Sam's is on and extends a 1/2 mile above and below it.

Or it could be Bottom Bay, which is about 3/4 mile NE of Sam's.

Crane Bay is a mile or so SW of Crane, closer to B-town.

Foul Bay is just south of Crane. All of these beaches are spectacular from Green Point near GA airport all the way up the coast to Tent Bay, Bathsheba and beyond.

Remember, our bus system goes to this area so it is only US$.75ea. Bus there and see if you can spot it, then beach it and take a cab back.

Remember, what we say about coming to Barbados for the second time..."You're not coming back, you're coming home. "

Have a wonderful trip. :)

"Crane Bay is a mile or so SW of Crane, closer to B-town."

Please change to: " Crane Bay is a mile or so SW of Sam's, closer to B-town.

Pix to jog your memory:

Long Bay, Barbados

long-bay-barbados.jpg

Looking across Bottom Bay, Barbados

bottom-bay.jpg

Anything look familiar?

Thank you "Barbados" for your help. It meant a lot to figure this out as I was with my parents 20 years ago and they are both gone now...I was hoping to go back to the same area . Just looked at my pics and Bottom Bay is the match. You were so thoughtful to include the photos:)

Eager to come home again to your wonderful island!! Are cabs readily available at the beaches for the trip back to our ship? Is a bus stop for Bottom Bay near the cruise terminal? Would you recommend a snorkle with the turtles or beach time? Are the turtles found near Bottom Bay or a totally different area? Imagine they would be in more calm waters, but I have no idea what I'm talking about, ha! Thanks for your advice!!

You’re welcome!

The Hawksbill turtle has been protected on Barbados since 1982. Long before there was pressure from the international community to protect them.

Actually, you are correct…Some of their preferred nesting grounds are on the south coast from B-town to Oistins. Not much after the Southpoint lighthouse as the water is influenced by the Atlantic.

But they live off Dottin’s Reef on the West Coast of the island.

I always have ambivalent feelings about advising our treasured visitors on what to see, and what to miss.

I’ll tell you what I’d do if it were my second time on the island and I loved turtles and I needed to visit our SE coast.

……I’d immediately make a reservation for a week at any of our wonderful hotels ;)

Seriously……

If you are lucky enough to have eight (8) hours on shore, you can do it. How’s your savings account doing?

I always want to do the furthest away things first. That is your Bottom Bay sojourn. I don’t bus anymore, but you can walk to the Alice St Terminal from the dock (20 minutes?), or catch a ZR van for US$.1.00 to the terminal, or perhaps you’ll hit a ZR going to the SE or E coast.

Ask my buddies at the GATEHOUSE (as you are leaving the dock compound), they know everything if you say “Good Morning, how are you?” first. Otherwise they don’t speak English……

Cabs on the West Coast are plentiful. Cabs on the SE and E coast are…not so plentiful. However, I would never worry unless I’m on the North coast. You’ll find one.

Depending on your time restraints, bus to the East Coast. Find your beach and beach it. Return via cab and snorkel with the turtles on the West Coast. You should budget 4 hours for bussing to the East, one-hour beaching-it and a cab return. Cab there and cab back and one hour at the beach is 2-1/2 to 3 hours. Cab from dock to Sam’s are is about US$40-45 one way for up to four in the cab.

Glad I could help! :)

Archived