Mayan Ruins of Tulum excursion

lglaser600

Has anyone taken this tour? Is it good for a 12 year old? any details would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

We took this tour when my daughter was 11. It was pouring down rain for most of the time so she wasn't a happy camper. It is a beautiful place and I am sure if the weather had been nice she would have liked it. There is quite a bit of walking involved. The view of the beach is nice and we were told in good weather that you can go down to the beach. The guide that we had was very informative. They take you around and give you information on the different buildings and customs and then you have time on you own to look around.

My son liked it, I liked it. There is a fair amount of walking involved, but depending on your daughters interests I think most kids like it if not for the possibility of swiming in the ocean there! The water is so beautiful! We didn't bring swim suits or we would have jumped in as well! I think it was high 90's and sunny that day! Enjoy it!

Been there a couple times..........weather was always good...But....HOT and Humid.....need plenty of water...and Sun Block, etc.......wear a suit under your clothes and take a towel so you can take a quick dip in the beautiful waters......

It' is a long trip........Are you going from Cozumel ???

Ferry ride both ways...........bus ride, etc........

but well worth it..........

If any of you are prone to seasickness......you might want to take something before the ferry ride.....

maintemple.jpg

Has anyone taken this tour? Is it good for a 12 year old? any details would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I've been there. Not really into historical sites so I found it to be a little boring. There is a beautiful view as posted by others.

Make sure you wear tennis shoes! I wore flip flops & walking on those rocks really bruised the bottoms of my feet. I guess because I didn't have enough cushion.

I love history, so thought this was a great tour. Beautiful views, interesting ruins, good guides. We took a bus ride from Playa del Carmen. As others have said, it was hot and I ended up buying bottled water. There's a nice shopping plaza where you are let off, before going into or leaving the area with the ruins.

We were there in 2004 when my kids were 12 and 9. It was a long ride (esp on Carnival excursion) and very, very hot. It was good for the kids to see it -- they were slightly interested -- but they would have rather been at the beach.

tulum5.jpg

At 12 I Would have loved to see something like Tulum.....

Did I Mention "It Is HOT" you need water and lots of Sun Block......The heat and sun there are not forgiving.

SEE MORE PICTURES ON MY WEBSITE..... LIFEVOYAGER.NET

Iwent to your web. site. can you tell me

On your web. page you have the Chickhen Itza ruins Where are they at?

I have a friend who is sailing On the Glory who loves ruins and I know she would love this..So please could you tell me where these are. We will be in Costa Maya, Belize, Cozumel and Nassau..Can she go to them from any of these ports?

thanks,

Carla

Great site too.

I'm going send it to her..

Iwent to your web. site. can you tell me

On your web. page you have the Chickhen Itza ruins Where are they at?

I have a friend who is sailing On the Glory who loves ruins and I know she would love this..So please could you tell me where these are. We will be in Costa Maya, Belize, Cozumel and Nassau..Can she go to them from any of these ports?

thanks,

Carla

Great site too.

I'm going send it to her..

The only time I've been there was through another cruise line several years ago...Don't think I've seen it offered through Carnival in awhile.

You would have to go to their web site and see where it's offered from.

It's really a long long Tour usually taking at least 9 hours....

I looked on Carnivals site...Currently the only Port they offer the Tour from is Progresso, Mexico

Chichen Itzh is the Mother of Mayn Ruins.......Totally Amazing :)

mtemple.jpg

Tulum is fantastic. If your son is intelligent and even remotely interested in ruins or history he'll love it. Kids seem to really get into the "human sacrifice" idea of the ruins. The guides speak understandable English and point out many interesting features.

The first time we went we docked at Cozumel and took the cruise ship offered tour. It was great, except that they take you to an expensive jewelry store and you waste an hour. They say it's so you can use the restrooms, because there are no restrooms at the ruins. That is a bunch of malarky. There are clean restrooms at the ruins. I think I remember paying 25 cents for paper, but that's pretty standard all over Mexico.

The second time we went we docked at Cozumel and took a taxi to the other side of the island where we caught the public ferry to Playa Del Carmen. The public ferry is huge, airconditioned, has TV to watch, food and drinks if you want them. (The ferry the ship uses is small and nauseating. Maybe it was a tender, don't remember.) Once we got to Playa we walked 50 yards to the car rental place. They drove us to where the cars are, which is on the main highway to Tulum, and we rented a jeep. Then we drove to ruins, paid the fees there, drove back, and reversed the process to get on the ship. It's a straight drive, one highway there and back. There were four of us and we saved a big chunk of money doing it this way.

When we go back in February, we'll be doing it ourselves again. No more wasted money and time at jewelry stores for us.

You can research for tours on the net and maybe find one that suits your time constraint. Depending on how many people you're taking, it might be cheaper, and a better use of time to book a private tour. You can also take the bus from Playa to Tulum, but if you're not familiar with the area, I wouldn't recommend it.

Go to

http://www.locogringo.com/past_spotlights/aug2002.html

and look at the pictures. Show your son. Get him into some Mayan history sites. They're fascinating.

Hope this helps.

I wanted to take this excursion, but i've been told about all the walking and the burning heat with little or no shade around. But I don't think with this long excursion, my sea legs would hold out, not to mention having to stay off my feet for the rest of the cruise. But I do find it very intersting, and thanks for posting those pictures for us.

We really enjoyed our tour. We had wanted to do it for awhile and just did not seem to find the time for it.

As far as a 12 year old.. I would have enjoyed it, but thats me. You know your child better than we do. Do they enjoy history? It does invole a lot of walking, do they have a problem with that? Do they tire quickley?

I took my family to Tulum and its ok if you have never seen ruins before. YThey dont let you climb on them too much and you are limited to specific areas. In Coba you get to feel the reality of the jungle and the ruins. You are able to climb to the top of the ruins and also get to see what is still unexplored as only a small portion has been exposed to date. My kids loved Coba and liked Tulum. Good luck and have fun

Has anyone taken a taxi from the ship, at Calica, to Tulum? I think we'd rather see it at our own pace.

Thanks,

Jane

We rented jeeps for our group and picked them up on the dock at Calica.

We drove to Tulum and picked up Eddie from Edventures and went to some other places too.

It was great and way less expensive than the ship tour.

I got all the info I needed to plan the excursion from the port of call forum for Calica.

Has anyone taken a taxi from the ship, at Calica, to Tulum? I think we'd rather see it at our own pace.

Thanks,

Jane

We had AGI Tours pick us up from the port at Calica in an air conditioned van, with cooler full of water bottles. AGI is licensed, and insured. We just used their bi-lingual driver, but could have also arranged for a guide through AGI.

We DID hire a guide at the site, though.

It gets VERY hot during the summer months!

Archived